Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My kids didn't EXPECT to have a big, comfortable home at age 22. They didn't expect to have 122 channels of television, the latest cell phone, a tablet AND a laptop AND a lifetime supply of video games and consoles, with leather sofas to lounge around on. They didn't expect to have Mom and Dad pay for their groceries and utilities so they would have plenty of spending money to go out on every weekend. They didn't expect to be able to bring home their significant others to spend the night - or heck, just move them on in.

They expected to have to hoof it, to live leanly, to do without - JUST AS THEIR PARENTS DID - when they became adults and MOVED OUT.

Now that they have some of those things (my older kids now have all of the above - but they've paid for it all), they truly appreciate their own accomplishments. They can take pride in their own endeavors, meeting their own goals.

For some reason, when you pay for your own stuff, you take better care of it and appreciate it more.
Good for you, you are teaching your children right....Are the rest of the parents? I am, my son is 12, he helps with the lawn, changes oil with me, and will be self dependent...when he is done with college.

But what about the rest of the parents, who are teaching their children to live of the government?

You know they are out there, there in no way a 20 years old child with 3 children has any other way to live.......can you not see that?

Oh, and BTW....this is not a race thing...so whoever reads this....just stop....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What is wrong with staying home and taking care of your family? How come it is ok for the uber-weathy to all live in one big house that is passed down from generation to generation?
We are not talking about uber wealthy...we are talking about people who use the government to live...and not work....

Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
An increasing number of people don't have that luxury. A Rising Share of Young Adults Live in Their Parents
Actually, the cited article shows that most people 18-31 do NOT live with their parents.

But I agree, the trend is getting worse. The article says that 36% do.

Most interesting is where it says that 29% of employed people that age, live with their parents. Indicates that either (a) their wages are very low, or (b) expenses are very high.

I wonder what percentage of employed people that age, lived with their parents 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Etc.

(For the leftist "I'm trying to pretend conservatives are dumb enough to think the wrong way" types, I mean people who were that age 10 years ago or 20 etc.)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Good for you, you are teaching your children right....Are the rest of the parents? I am, my son is 12, he helps with the lawn, changes oil with me, and will be self dependent...when he is done with college.

But what about the rest of the parents, who are teaching their children to live of the government?

You know they are out there, there in no way a 20 years old child with 3 children has any other way to live.......can you not see that?

Oh, and BTW....this is not a race thing...so whoever reads this....just stop....
I know they're out there. I also know that some 20 year olds have three kids and are still wallowing around at home, because their parents didn't raise them right to begin with.

My daughter got pregnant out of wedlock when she was 19. She was already working and going to school. She had already been planning on moving into her own place. I told her, "Why change your plans?" I helped her find a good apartment and helped her furnish it with second hand stuff, things we were already planning on giving her, etc. When she was about four months pregnant, she moved into her new place, very excited to do so. She continued working, even through her morning sickness (I had to do the same when I was a young, expectant mother with a job). When she had the baby, we were there for both of them, and she stayed with us for about two weeks. Then one morning, she got up and said, "Well, it's time for us to get back home!" and she packed that five pounds of adorableness up and went on home (yes, I cried, but I was still proud of her!). I was so scared - not only was my precious and very young daughter living away from me, she was taking care of that first grandchild, who I loved with all my heart! It was so scary!

Well, guess what - she did a great job. And she met a terrific guy, who was SO impressed with her independence and strength and sense of personal responsibility. They dated for a year (did not sleep together or move in together), and then got engaged, had some premarital counseling, got married, and he eventually adopted her first child, and now they have two more children together and have adopted another child from Korea. Her husband, who I love, has told me repeatedly that the first thing that attracted him to my daughter was that she was so responsible and level headed, and that she was a very strong woman who was taking care of herself and her child very well. He knew she was made of some strong stuff - and he was exactly right.

I instinctively knew that if I allowed my daughter to live at home when she was pregnant and with a new baby, that I would end up working full time while she stayed home and lived off me. I knew that she would quit working when she was struggling with morning sickness, that she would get "stuck" at home with a baby. I felt like this was a moment of truth, a turning point in her life, and if she didn't take the reins and become independent AT THIS CRITICAL MOMENT, that she might never feel confident enough to do so. Moving her out wasn't rejection, it was a vote of confidence in her abilities, and that vote was well placed.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup, it's about to get real ugly. Remember when you could go grocery shopping for a family of four and it didn't cost you $200?

And this will be the typical brain-dead response from the libs. Over and over and over...
Ignore the environment and, maybe, it will just go away.

Go drink poison if you choose to do so, but don't try to force the rest of us to do so.
France and Germany (among other Eurocountries) have cut their fossil fuel consumption by leaps and bounds.
They're not bankrupt and their lives are healthier.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ignore the environment and, maybe, it will just go away.

Go drink poison if you choose to do so, but don't try to force the rest of us to do so.
France and Germany (among other Eurocountries have cut their fossil fuel consumption by leaps and bounds.
They're not bankrupt and their lives are healthier.
Europe has also turned away Monsanto and their frankenfood.
And that adds to health as well.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And here's something that I didn't realize was happening.

We have this Fed poverty line.
And we have these means tested programs.

Without knowing any better you assume that folks making above Fed poverty line don't qualify.
But I read an article where it showed SNAP income restrictions are 130% of Fed poverty line.
Then I looked at a few other means tested programs and they are all over the place up to 200% of Fed poverty line.

Who is "poor" in the eyes of the Fed depends on their definition (100% Fed poverty line to 400% Fed poverty line).
For a single person that ranges from $12K - $45K a year.
For a family of three that ranges from $20K - $78K a year.

Who would have ever thought that people making $45K a year qualify for means tested programs ?
Who would have ever thought that families making $78K a year qualify for means tested programs ?

That sure alters your perception of poverty, doesn't it ?
Another issue is that the Federal government only uses income to determine poverty. You could own two houses, 3 cars and have a flat screen in every room. As long as you are within the poverty income boundaries they count you as poor in the US Census and that (census) is the basis for every "poverty" news story.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah that's it. The middle class will pay through the nose at the pumps, in home heating/cooling costs and through pass down costs and unemployment and then they'll also have to pay more taxes to subsidize those sucking on the government teat whose expenses will also rise.
Like these 40 year old kids still living at home.
They're sucking at mom & dad's teat.
Kick them out and let them figure it out.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Pittsburgh PA 1940s before smoke control

I'd rather my kids have an environment that didn't kill them.
Business can catch up or go the way of the dinosaur.
You do realize there is a middle ground, don't you? Pittsburgh is already to a point where it looks like this today, so your entire post is a non-issue. We are talking about modern day reforms, not reforms important to a manufacturing town in the rust belt in the 1940s.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM

I know what Pittsburgh looks like today.
It looks better because of environmental protections in place.

Without environmental laws, the entire country would look like Pittsburgh in the 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies