Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Another issue is that the Federal government only uses income to determine poverty. You could own two houses, 3 cars and have a flat screen in every room. As long as you are within the poverty income boundaries they count you as poor in the US Census and that (census) is the basis for every "poverty" news story.
Very true. Most people in the world would gladly trade places with our "poor."

I know there truly are poor people living in the US, I've seen it and lived it myself in fact. And it did me a lot of good, too, because I determined that was NOT THE LIFE FOR ME - and I was determined to get out of it on my own two feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I know there truly are poor people living in the US, I've seen it and lived it myself in fact. And it did me a lot of good, too, because I determined that was NOT THE LIFE FOR ME - and I was determined to get out of it on my own two feet.
But don't you think that in the US (not solely, but for this argument) we conflate standard of living with quality of life?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But don't you think that in the US (not solely, but for this argument) we conflate standard of living with quality of life?
Those are individual decisions, not group decisions. I personally never confuse my standard of living with my quality of life.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Yeah, if only businesses were allowed to dump anything wherever they please things would be cheap.

Especially human life in the opinion of people who love to pollute.

If they can't compete, let them go out of business. There are plenty of green businesses that are going gangbusters here. The free market selects winners.

Quit whining about laws helping people breathe without difficulty, or have safe drinking water.

A lot of poor people are not signing up for green businesses they cannot afford. Stop trying to impose unwanted and unaffordable costs on the poor unless you are prepared to subsidize them.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:

What would you do if you had no skills and could not afford education or training?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I know what Pittsburgh looks like today.
It looks better because of environmental protections in place.

Without environmental laws, the entire country would look like Pittsburgh in the 40s.
Two things. First, no one is saying to not have environmental laws. People are saying we don't need more environmental laws. This is what I mean when I say there has to be a compromise. You seem to only be able to view the world in black and white terms. Second, Pittsburgh is where it is today because the steel industry collapsed and high tech largely took over. There is no large scale manufacturing left to cause any sort of smog or smoke.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What would you do if you had no skills and could not afford education or training?
Go to a public library to gain an education, volunteer to work for free to build new skills.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Another issue is that the Federal government only uses income to determine poverty. You could own two houses, 3 cars and have a flat screen in every room. As long as you are within the poverty income boundaries they count you as poor in the US Census and that (census) is the basis for every "poverty" news story.

That's how conservatives can make silly claims like "40 (or whatever the latest number is) percent of poor households own their home" or "umpteen percent of the poor move up the income scale within N years".

Truth is, very few people who are actually poor are actually buying homes.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Obama is about to bypass Congress and smother businesses in new energy regulations. You can best believe they won't kick in until after the election.

The Republicans, who must think the American public is stupid, will just talk about prices going up with home heating/cooling and at the pump when campaigning but EVERYTHING will go up in price and they need to educate the public on how these regulations will impact them not just at the pump and in their utility bills. They and the media never mention pass down costs from businesses. You will pay more for food, clothing...all products as businesses pass the cost of those regulations, to them, down to you in the cost of their products. It's not only the businesses that have to comply with the regulations but every company that will have to pay more for fuel to get products and services to you/stores and heat and cool their own businesses and that's just about every business. Then there are the small business that will have to cut jobs to pay for these new expenses.

And although not the topic of this post --- this article doesn't even mention pass down costs or the impact on employment. This is an example of media bias. Media bias doesn't just rear it's head in what they say but in what they leave out.

"Republicans and industry groups contend the rules will raise prices on home energy bills and at the gas pump, and warn the coal country, unable to meet the new standards, could be put out of business... They're also upset that the administration is sidestepping Congress. The success of President Obama's second-term climate agenda hinges on a set of regulations now in the works at the Environmental Protection Agency. His plan to combat global warming through new emissions standards and a shift toward increased renewable energy faces serious opposition from business groups, and Congress is steeling for battle. But if the regulations survive the attacks — and subsequent legal challenges — they could amount to one of the president's most consequential initiatives, his supporters say."

REGULATION NATION: Obama bypassing Congress on climate - The Hill's RegWatch

Your kids are going to be living with you for a very long time. No impact on the middle class? Yeah, right. There will be an impact on everyone.
This is Obama's "gift" to the nation- reunifying families through poverty.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
For some reason, when you pay for your own stuff, you take better care of it and appreciate it more.
no doubt about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies