Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm just going to leave it at we agree to disagree.
And I'm not one that just blindly follows one side or the other.
Valid questions have been raised about studies that the FDA has not answered.

And if it's ok then why not let it be labeled ? Isn't choice a valid argument here ?
I don't mind if GMO is in the market if I'm given the choice to buy it or not.
But I'm not given a choice am I ? Why not ?

I was fine with the cow hormone because I was able to buy milk without the hormone in it.
Monsanto didn't like that and brought it to court to get the labels removed.
Why ?

Corn is used to fatten up cattle before slaughter, not cane sugar.
Why is that ?
if 'turning away "frankenfood"' is something you think 'adds to health' shouldn't you be able to show even the tiniest bit of evidence for that claim?

again - if GMOs are such a health hazard, why is there no documentation of this? after all, hundreds of millions of people have been eating them for 20 years. the FDA nor USDA has the slightest bit of control as to what research is published. even if your claim were true, where is the valid research from foreign sources - which i'm sure even you will admit are well beyond the control of the FDA - that would demonstrate this?

if there is no substantial difference between GMO and non-GMO (which there is not, after 20 years on the market), there is no need for a label.

however, you are given a choice - buy labelled organic, or grow your own.

also: if you don't blindly follow one side, why are you even bringing up the supposed evils of monsanto in a thead about kids living at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Two things. First, no one is saying to not have environmental laws. People are saying we don't need more environmental laws. This is what I mean when I say there has to be a compromise. You seem to only be able to view the world in black and white terms. Second, Pittsburgh is where it is today because the steel industry collapsed and high tech largely took over. There is no large scale manufacturing left to cause any sort of smog or smoke.
Yet there was large scale manufacturing until the 70s.
The environmental quality greatly improved with environmental controls.
Business doesn't clean up the environment on its own.

Why does there have to be a compromise?
We've been compromised almost to death.

How many chemicals are in the water you drink?
Drinking Water Contaminants | Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA
Chemicals in Water

Where my health and the health of the planet are concerned, I don't want to cut corners.

We have one planet.
We need to take care of it.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if 'turning away "frankenfood"' is something you think 'adds to health' shouldn't you be able to show even the tiniest bit of evidence for that claim?

again - if GMOs are such a health hazard, why is there no documentation of this? after all, hundreds of millions of people have been eating them for 20 years. the FDA nor USDA has the slightest bit of control as to what research is published. even if your claim were true, where is the valid research from foreign sources - which i'm sure even you will admit are well beyond the control of the FDA - that would demonstrate this?

if there is no substantial difference between GMO and non-GMO (which there is not, after 20 years on the market), there is no need for a label.

however, you are given a choice - buy labelled organic, or grow your own.
Do you have answers to any of my questions that I posted ?
Monsanto is now moving from splicing roundup into the seeds to splicing agent orange into the seeds because the weeds are becoming resistant.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Of course not, you are a woman and you are not poor. Try - just try - being poor and a heterosexual male in this society, and not conflating standard of living with quality of life. Moral outliers could make that work, but not most of the rest of us.
Seems like I hit a nerve with you.

I have been poor, with no job and no place to live.
Don't go playing the "poor me" game with me.

I have been there. I'm not there now.
It has nothing to do with my gender but with changing my life and working hard to attain my goals.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you have answers to any of my questions that I posted ?
Monsanto is now moving from splicing roundup into the seeds to splicing agent orange into the seeds because the weeds are becoming resistant.
if you're not going to answer any of my questions, why should i answer yours? even though i answered at least three of yours already?

btw, monsanto is not splicing agent orange into seeds. what would be the point of splicing an herbicide into a plant?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet there was large scale manufacturing until the 70s.
The environmental quality greatly improved with environmental controls.
Business doesn't clean up the environment on its own.

We've been compromised almost to death.

How many chemicals are in the water you drink?
Drinking Water Contaminants | Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA
Chemicals in Water

Where my health and the health of the planet are concerned, I don't want to cut corners.

We have one planet.
We need to take care of it.
Obviously smoke controls had a limited effect, but you do realize that the collapse of the steel industry started in the early 1950s, don't you? Also, Pittsburgh's population decrease (leading to economic stagnation) started in the early 1950s as well.

It needs to be a compromise because anything taken to the extreme is harmful at least and ineffective at best. Haven't you ever heard the quote "perfect is the opposite of good"? Compromising isn't cutting corners. It is realizing that we are all adults and have multiple conflicting priorities to deal with. Do I care about the environment? Absolutely. Do I care about a sound financial and economic system so that people can have jobs to earn enough money to eat? Absolutely as well. Blindly picking one over the other is a childish way to look at the world. There are multiple priorities that conflict with each other. We, as responsible people must find a way to balance those priorities to find a solution that best serves everyone involved.

Simply saying "it is my health, I am not cutting corners" is a selfish way of looking at the world that creates more harm that it prevents.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Obviously smoke controls had a limited effect, but you do realize that the collapse of the steel industry started in the early 1950s, don't you? Also, Pittsburgh's population decrease (leading to economic stagnation) started in the early 1950s as well.

It needs to be a compromise because anything taken to the extreme is harmful at least and ineffective at best. Haven't you ever heard the quote "perfect is the opposite of good"? Compromising isn't cutting corners. It is realizing that we are all adults and have multiple conflicting priorities to deal with. Do I care about the environment? Absolutely. Do I care about a sound financial and economic system so that people can have jobs to earn enough money to eat? Absolutely as well. Blindly picking one over the other is a childish way to look at the world. There are multiple priorities that conflict with each other. We, as responsible people must find a way to balance those priorities to find a solution that best serves everyone involved.

Simply saying "it is my health, I am not cutting corners" is a selfish way of looking at the world that creates more harm that it prevents.
You're entitled to your opinion.
I disagree.

No one is asking for perfection as you well know.
I don't hold money over health.
It's a fools choice.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if you're not going to answer any of my questions, why should i answer yours? even though i answered at least three of yours already?

btw, monsanto is not splicing agent orange into seeds. what would be the point of splicing an herbicide into a plant?
So that the plant does not die when the herbicide is sprayed to kill the weeds around it.

Roundup ready seeds have roundup in their genes so they don't die when the field is sprayed with herbicide.
Bt field seed have pesticides in their genes to kill any bugs that try to eat it.

For someone who is so pro GMO I'm surprised you even asked that question.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:

Yep, and if there is no compromise, there are no businesses....

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion.
I disagree.

No one is asking for perfection as you well know.
I don't hold money over health.
It's a fools choice.
Money is the same thing as food on someone's table, and less poverty in the future for our children. I do hold a better choice for the future over making it a little easier for me today. You are right about one thing, it is definitely a fool's choice to sacrifice the future to make the present slightly easier. That is the definition of greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies