Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I'm sure Mr. Mailer had his answers when he faced God's judgment recently..
Yes, I wouldn't use him as my moral compass----only found this quote impressive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, I wouldn't use him as my moral compass----only found this quote impressive....
It is interesting.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM

119 posts, read 202,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
We are in a time of war that we ourselves imagined into existence. There is little enough to be proud of in that...

Did I say we should be proud of war??? NO I said we should show our support of the country and our troops. SUPPORT does not have to mean we are proud of this war. I personally think this war was the right thing to do but thats not what we are talking about here. If you find the flag wearing so offensive so be it but it's a ridiculous argument. There are far worse things going on that we could be worried about then politicians and religious folks wearing and waving the flag, there is no reason to turn it in to something it's not just because so many people want to look for a reason to bash Bush etc...

Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
Did I say we should be proud of war???
Sorry. It was probably this...Im proud to show my support for this country in a time of war...from your earlier post that confused me.

Quote:
If you find the flag wearing so offensive so be it but it's a ridiculous argument. There are far worse things going on that we could be worried about then politicians and religious folks wearing and waving the flag...
Yes, there is sadly a plethora of things that are worse yet, a variety of which are the direct consequence of actions taken by the flag-wavers.

Quote:
...there is no reason to turn it in to something it's not just because so many people want to look for a reason to bash Bush etc...
Let's just come to the point re Bush-bashing. If Bush weren't so gloriously deserving of being bashed, many fewer people would be engaging in the practice. It is all what the man has earnestly and honestly brought upon himself. And unable to deflect the more than well-founded bases for these attacks coming from all sides, the defenders of the President and his hodgepodge of atrocious policies are forced into imagining some sort of mental disorder on the part of critics as their only means for explaining it all away. Can there be any more lame response that that?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
, the defenders of the President and his hodgepodge of atrocious policies are forced into imagining some sort of mental disorder on the part of critics as their only means for explaining it all away. Can there be any more lame response that that?
The inability of Bush's critics to do more than verbalize their frustrations approaches the pathological at times, though, don't you think? Having absorbed the catechism that the 2006 elections were to be a seminal turning point, and tasting the ashes of being contemptuously outmaneuvered by Chimpy McBushiitler, the nutroots and their aging mentors seem at times to be experiencing a kind of apopletic epiphany of impotence. The only real candidates for these people are Kucinich and Gravel; one plausibly an extraterrestrial imp, the other a near-lunatic. With models like these, the lameness would seem to be on the sinister side, and it appears permanent.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 AM

[quote=saganista;2023698]Sorry. It was probably this...Im proud to show my support for this country in a time of war...from your earlier post that confused me.

Yes, there is sadly a plethora of things that are worse yet, a variety of which are the direct consequence of actions taken by the flag-wavers.

a direct consequence of actions taken by flag wavers????? really??? after that comment I can see now that it's pointless to argue with someone like you.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Let's just come to the point re Bush-bashing. If Bush weren't so gloriously deserving of being bashed, many fewer people would be engaging in the practice. It is all what the man has earnestly and honestly brought upon himself. And unable to deflect the more than well-founded bases for these attacks coming from all sides, the defenders of the President and his hodgepodge of atrocious policies are forced into imagining some sort of mental disorder on the part of critics as their only means for explaining it all away. Can there be any more lame response that that?

sorry missed this part. You believe he is deserving for being bashed...i dont..give me a reason he should be bashed so much and please dont use the war in Iraq because we will just go around and around about that and neither of us will change our minds. I dont think Bush is perfect, im not in love with the man or anything but I think he's done a good job and I think right now it's the "cool" thing to jump on the Bush bashing band wagon. and hating Bush is NOT a reason to bash the American flag.

I never implied there was some sort of mental disorder, it's just how liberals think..without logic.. what i think is "lame" is that you make a sweeping statement about those who wave flags to show their support for their troops and country. If there is something wrong with that you are going to need to come up with a better reason.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The inability of Bush's critics to do more than verbalize their frustrations approaches the pathological at times, though, don't you think?
The little boy has been locked up in a box. DeLay and Frist are gone. Rummy and Gonzo with them. Where is all this political capital he is going to spend now? Obstructionism and his little veto pen are all that's left him. His day is filled with being wary of Henry Waxman. More than just verbalizing has gone on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Having absorbed the catechism that the 2006 elections were to be a seminal turning point, and tasting the ashes of being contemptuously outmaneuvered by Chimpy McBushiitler, the nutroots and their aging mentors seem at times to be experiencing a kind of apopletic epiphany of impotence.
The Republican Party as you have known it is evaporating before your eyes. You stand as the last drummer, cheering Custer on.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I proudly wear a flag lapel pin each day.

I proudly fly the flag at my home and at my office.

I proudly support our troops, in what I believe are meaningful ways all the time including volunteering my time, and monies, to organizations that help make our troops lives a little easier

I proudly support those troops who have been wounded in combat - again in what I believe are meaningfull ways including transportation, visitations in hospitals and helping their family members

I proudly support our troops who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our great nation by lending moral support to their families and attending funerals of many who have died.

God Bless our troops and their families

God Bless America

Old 11-17-2007, 04:58 PM

294 posts, read 437,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The "Support our troops" thread made reminded me of a fact that is very disturbing in America today. Has anybody noticed that the religious right seem to think they have a monopoly on patriotism, the American flag, and supporting the troops? The line between patriotism and religious expression has been blurred to a point that its hard to describe. Shouldn't everybody, of all faiths and of no faith, religious and secular, be proud to be an American?

funny you should say that, becasue most of the other groups come across as selfish, anti-anything american. so in reality they probably are the most patroitic group out there that still believe in this country while people like you think we are big meanies who should give up everything we have for the rest of the world

I think ALL Americans should band together to take the flag back from the religious right.
take actually being patriotic first....till then leave it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies