Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The GOP is really setting themselves for a disappointing 2016.
The GOP is doing lots of things to set themselves up for disappointment. It's almost as though they look at the complete failure the CA GOP has become, and want to emulate that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
The GOP is doing lots of things to set themselves up for disappointment. It's almost as though they look at the complete failure the CA GOP has become, and want to emulate that...
The GOP, who champion policies of the 1%, can only win by getting most of the 99% to vote against their self-interest. They used to be able to do that with divisive wedge issues, like gay marriage. Now, with most supporting gay marriage, their economic agenda is exposed and the mass of voters don't like it.

They opposed Obamacare, which helps millions of Americans, with propaganda. Now that it looks like Obamacare will work, they are desperate. So, they are acting like blackmailers, threatening to hold the economy hostage.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The GOP, who champion policies of the 1%, can only win by getting most of the 99% to vote against their self-interest. They used to be able to do that with divisive wedge issues, like gay marriage. Now, with most supporting gay marriage, their economic agenda is exposed and the mass of voters don't like it.

They opposed Obamacare, which helps millions of Americans, with propaganda. Now that it looks like Obamacare will work, they are desperate. So, they are acting like blackmailers, threatening to hold the economy hostage.
Desperation is a repulsive thing to watch. It's like the reactions of a vampire when expsed to the light of day. I think that analogy suits them...don't you?

Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What do you need all the federal government we have for? Nothing.

We could just get rid of most of it ,and things would be MUCH better.
Agree with this

Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Really? Please explain (in detail) how our lives would be MUCH better without most of the Federal Government.
Before there was a Dept of Education Americans kids did much better on tests. America is ranked way down the list now.

There is also billions of wasted tax dollars at the Federal level. Ask any federal employee.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The stop/loss for Obamacare is 6,350 dollar per year for all plans . Its about 3,000 for Medicare and I suspect much less for Tricare and VA. The Bronze plan requires 40% co-pay up to $6,350. Is this too liberal?? How much money do you think people have laying around for health care. They wont go when they have to scrape by. I suspect you are on Medicare or VA. So what would you suggest?
I suggest that your argument is all about "hiding" the cost by robbing a third party.

This "works" until the third party stops being a patsy. Which, will take a few months at most.

It's already partially non-operative, since insurance rates are on a skyrocketing trajectory. The actuarial analysis predicts massive increases in outlays due to rules changes, which they're getting a head start on. But, it won't last. SOMEONE has to pay the bill for services that the government is trying to get people to buy without individual consequence - that is, they promise you "get" them, without paying the bill. But SOMEONE will pay that bill, it doesn't magically vanish.

Once everyone's done playing crooked accounting, and the results become obvious, there will be another crisis, this one WORSE by far, than the status quo you decry as a crisis (but isn't).

Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Really? Please explain (in detail) how our lives would be MUCH better without most of the Federal Government.
Sure. The federal government consumes a little more than 1/4 of everything produced in this country, and, the costs imposed by its actions are more than any other factor.

If we simply reduced the federal government's costs, by taking what the federal government does back a century, your take home pay would rise by nearly 1/3, your investments would go from losing to gaining money, and employment would rise from about 60% of us to whatever percentage wanted to work.

The COSTS of compliance with the IRS tax rules ALONE costs more than all the money the IRS collects in corporate taxes.

Then again, when you worship the state (as you do), you simply blind yourself to the horrible damage it does.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Making asses of themselves and turning the Congress into a circus may are the only things they have accomplished, which is why this Congress is the most unpopular ever in US history.
Really? Is it possible to be anymore stupid and absurd than to pass Obamacare? Probably not. I mean, seriously, that was an act of incomprehensible stupidity. If Congress was ever deserving of the label "stupid", they earned it with that. Trying to undo it is, by comparison, an act of heroic sainthood.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Ah. Are those what you look at? Please show them to me sometime. lol.
If you're asking, do I seriously investigate what our tax money is spent on? Yes, I do. I know that seems something like a stupid idea to you, since government is holy and infallible in your opinion, but, I'm not that gullible, so... I do check on things.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They do not care about this country.
Tell me, what disaster will befall us, if our federal government has to furlough its employees and stop harrassing us for a while?

The answer: "none whatsoever".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies