Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times

Advertisements

What is the media/politicians fascination with the AR-15 (AR=Armalite Rifles, BTW, not assault rifle as it is no where near a true assault rifle in combat)? Media can barely describe one.
Why not go after cheaper and more deadly weapons criminals have been know to use?
Thoughts, discussions? Try not to get emotional. Facts would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
I have always wanted to know the answer to that question. Maybe because it supposedly i the most popular rifle in the country or maybe they want to put fear in the people? They seem to want to eliminate the most "powerful" rifles, one by one, until all we are left with are sticks and stones. I laugh every time I hear the term "assault rifle" as if the AR were this military style weapon with a burst, that anyone can carry into a mall and start shooting people without moving their finger off the trigger. And then they say but it is a semi-automatic! And I just laugh because they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

I can make my little .22 look like a scary "assault rifle" too. All I need is to buy the kit. Still doesn't make it a weapon of mass destruction though. That's what people need to learn. However more often than not the gun haters know nothing about guns - but like to pretend they do by using terms like "clips" instead of magazines.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 09-21-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
There are too many parts to that question to answer in the amount of time I have available before my daughters' Girl Scouts meetings. I'll brush on a couple and hopefully get back in time to answer more fully later this afternoon.

Number one, why ban any guns at all as a response to violence? Because it is far easier to try to take a way the tools used to commit violence than to address the societal, economical, and mental health problems plaguing this country which lead to the violence in the first place.

Number two, why the AR-15? Because it is easily demonized by people who don't understand firearms due to the way it looks. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge about firearms knows that the AR-15 is simply a semi-automatic rifle which is on the low end of the scale when it comes to ballistic power and range. Anyone who bothers to look at the facts knows that the AR-15 is used in such a small percentage of crimes that the statistic is nearly non-existent. But in today's world of emotional reaction, something has to be blamed and the scary looking gun makes a good target.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
AR-15 is something that even the less educated can pronounce.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
I think they oppose it because it "looks dangerous" It looks just like automatic weapons used in the US military, but of course its no full auto. It also looks dangerous because of the 30 round magazine. I'm not saying its not a dangerous weapon. It is. But traditional hunting rifles don't have the same look, so they don't come up as much, even though those can kill someone equally as well, as a small .38 or 9mm pistol, or the AR-15. My guess is that most of those people don't even know what round it uses or that you can purchase similar weapons that are chambered in .22 and .308

Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
It "looks dangerous"? 2 dozen bodies carried out of an elementary school pretty much tells us it is dangerous but you`re correct. An assault pistol is just as deadly.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
What is the media/politicians fascination with the AR-15 (AR=Armalite Rifles, BTW, not assault rifle as it is no where near a true assault rifle in combat)? Media can barely describe one.
Why not go after cheaper and more deadly weapons criminals have been know to use?
The fact is, they go after it, because it's black, and scary looking.

I have a K98, 8mm mauser, thats far more dangerous than an AR-15. With the Hardened round, (Tungsten core), the round can penetrate a bit more than 3/4 of an inch of plain steel at a range of 550 yards. (That's 5 ½ football fields!) That means a kevlar vest has zero chance of stopping that round. While it only has a 5 round magazine, it's a far more lethal weapon.

The problem is, Politicians see a wood stock, and a bolt action, and automatically place it in a class that is less lethal than the mean looking black (Mattel toy) AR15. (AND folks, I already know, Mattel didn't make the AR15 OR the M16 so don't rag on me, I call it a mattel toy, because of it's plastic pieces).

Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Because they deal in emotion. The AR LOOKS like a military weapon and therefore has no other purpose then to kill as many of the enemy as it can.

Most people have no dealings with guns and don't know a derringer from an M-60.

If it "looks" like a military weapon, it must be bad.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The fact is, they go after it, because it's black, and scary looking.

I have a K98, 8mm mauser, thats far more dangerous than an AR-15. With the Hardened round, (Tungsten core), the round can penetrate a bit more than 3/4 of an inch of plain steel at a range of 550 yards. (That's 5 ½ football fields!) That means a kevlar vest has zero chance of stopping that round. While it only has a 5 round magazine, it's a far more lethal weapon.

The problem is, Politicians see a wood stock, and a bolt action, and automatically place it in a class that is less lethal than the mean looking black (Mattel toy) AR15. (AND folks, I already know, Mattel didn't make the AR15 OR the M16 so don't rag on me, I call it a mattel toy, because of it's plastic pieces).
"because it's black". I'm glad you mentioned that. Now we can all those anti-gunners racists.

After all anyone who opposes obama is racist.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
And if you look at the assassination within our country, for example, to Presidents, Lincoln a Derringer, Kennedy/MLK a bolt action rifle. media cango roundand round about an AR-15, but it is a sport rifle at best. Gangsters dont use them.. Reagan was an attempted with a 22LR pistol..
So, misconception of what really is the assault in this. Its the criminal, not the gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies