Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM

219 posts, read 285,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
No Vacation Time Mandate by Employer
No Free Healthcare 1776-2013
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave

Take off pledge of allegiance and add American "music" movies and tv over the last 15 yrs and I agree with you...... America has become embarrassing

Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Not embarrassing to have the same maternity leave as Papua New Guinea, Swaziland and Lesotho?
Alrighty, then!!
You want to emulate their conditions.

Wow. I'm seriously not impressed.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:58 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The average American is a good and upright person...but they are embarrassed because of the poor reputation America has abroad. Recently I hopped on a street car in Toronto...I met and older woman...who was with her daughter and grand daughter...They were three generations of Texans ....wonderful friendly people.. as we got to the core of the city we all went down into the subway and stood on the platform chatting....a stranger approached the older Texan and asked for directions. I interjected and said..."They don't know- they are American tourists".....

The look I got from the grandmother clearly said - Why did you tell her that....She was embarrassed to be identified as an American. I really did not understand why she would be...They were intelligent attractive people....I do have one regret about that short meeting....The daughter was very warm and friendly...She was also the classic Texas beauty and single...
Umm, you were the one being rude, you should have let her answer for herself, she's an adult, she doesn't need you to answer for her.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You want to emulate their conditions.

Wow. I'm seriously not impressed.
What ARE you going on about? America IS emulating their maternity leave. You're in good company. <snort>

Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Less than one half of one percent of Canadians go to the US for health care.
Which countries do Americans go to mostly because when they can't afford the ridiculously overinflated health care costs? India. Mexico. Thailand.
But they do come. Fine by me. No one is going to Canada for medical treatment and doubtful anyone could do so because of the Canadian system. At least there are options across their border.

Seems also a lot of your "artists" come to the USA to work: Michael Fox, William Shatner and many, many more. Canadian artists depend on USA audiences.

I am loathe to think where Canada gets its national intelligence from as part of sharing agreements. I'm guessing from their southern neighbor. Just a guess.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
And what did the United States leave to Vietnam that so surpassed what the French left?

There are a lot of Southeast Asian that still maintain a strong connection to France in part to some of the culture the French left behind but more importantly perhaps the the Southeast Asians that move to France to live and send remittance money back to their native lands.

The U.S. bombed the h_ll out of Vietnam, used vegetative killing chemicals like agent orange, and killed over 1 million Vietnamese.

Vietnam would have been better off perhaps had the Chinese, Russians, French, and Americans stayed out in the first place. The U.S. before it got entangled in a war in Vietnam was supporting the French in Vietnam. The goal of the United States was to turn Vietnam in a neo-colonial serf country for the Japanese, like Latin America was for the United States for so long.
Many Vietnamese prospered while the Americans were there (including me). No interest in debating the war itself. I have my thoughts but the Vietnamese, many of them, made a buck and their lives improved. Just the highways the US built was valuable to them and large airbases which the commies now use and some serious seaports. Of course we killed people. That is the nature of the beast. That doesn't cancel the fact that many Viets would love to have us back so they could enjoy some freedom, that word that the USA takes seriously unlike our current regime that prefers to spy on us.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
Other jobs to be had, and there is always starting your own business.

There are no free lunches either. Everyone has had the right to free emergency room care since 1986. We're now going to have to pay for that.

Whats wrong with a pledge? You don't have to say it.

Again, back to finding new employment, negotiations, or starting your own business.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Lightbulb *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Leave.
Read my reply above!

THAT WONT FIX THINGS!!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Problem with your above comment is that you ASSUME that they are dropping benefits simply to stay alive and keep their doors open, and that is something anyone that knows anything about the business world knows is simply not the case. Tactics such as closing US plants and off-shoring those manufacturing jobs to third-world countries using something akin to slave labor does save that business lots of money, and that is their choice, But you then speak of customers, let them sell their wares to those people they have working for them in third world countries, not to those that they fired to make more profits, all products produced outside the US should be subject to imprt taxes, INCLUDING those products produced by US companies abroad, why not the products ARE imports who owns the company does not matter. I wonder what would happen to the idea of off-shoring jobs then.
your post shows that you know nothing about me. 25 years in the hotel business, all on the accounting side of things, and being the number two in charge at a couple of properties has taught me many things, that and my college education that included more than 20 hours of accounting classes, as well as business law classes to go along with my degree in automotive technology. i know how business works, and i know why business does the things it does. and some products that american companies produce overseas ARE subject to import taxes, but tht bottom line is that it is cheaper to produce some products overseas and pay the import duties, than it is to produce that product here. and it isnt just the US businesses that realize this. for instance japan. they were making ALL the mazda 6 cars here in the US at the flat rock michigan plant, and exporting them to japan for consumption. as costs in the US grew, japan shifted more and more production to japan of the mazda 6 until it got so expensive to build the mazda six here that is was cheaper to build them in japan and pay the shipping costs and import duties to bring the cars here, so they stopped producing the mazda 6 here altogether.

business is going to do what they need to do to stay in business, if they dont they die. and part of that means doing what is necessary to maintain profit margins, otherwise they dont reinvest in the business, and they end up withering on the vine and dieing anyway.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
its ok we are embarrassed to have people like you, dont worry, we will fix the 2nd flaw on that list, come 2014/2016 the market will fix it..not some would be god king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies