Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
No Vacation Time Mandate by Employer
No Pay Maternity Leave
I do think we should have this.
It's not embarrassing though.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM

503 posts, read 772,714 times
Quote:
No Free Healthcare 1776-2013
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
Hey - its America - start a business and provide those perks to your employees......

Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
I do think we should have this.
It's not embarrassing though.
Not embarrassing to have the same maternity leave as Papua New Guinea, Swaziland and Lesotho?
Alrighty, then!!

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
No way am I ashamed to be an American. I've worked since I was 11, paid taxes for over 35 years, enlisted to serve, raised a good family, worked hard to provide for them and myself all these years. But when I had an opportunity to move to Australia, and see what life is like there, well I love it in Australia and never want to leave. If that makes me a bad American, so be it. I'm happy here and that's all that counts, as I prefer the Aussie way of life. America has serious issues, and this blind "love it or leave it" so-called "patriotism" isn't helping solve those issues

Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
There are older Vietnamese who still hope for the US to return.

USA, USA, USA, USA.
And what did the United States leave to Vietnam that so surpassed what the French left?

There are a lot of Southeast Asian that still maintain a strong connection to France in part to some of the culture the French left behind but more importantly perhaps the the Southeast Asians that move to France to live and send remittance money back to their native lands.

The U.S. bombed the h_ll out of Vietnam, used vegetative killing chemicals like agent orange, and killed over 1 million Vietnamese.

Vietnam would have been better off perhaps had the Chinese, Russians, French, and Americans stayed out in the first place. The U.S. before it got entangled in a war in Vietnam was supporting the French in Vietnam. The goal of the United States was to turn Vietnam in a neo-colonial serf country for the Japanese, like Latin America was for the United States for so long.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
No Free Healthcare 1776-2013
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
I'm embarrassed for humanity by you.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
you dont have to leave, when you can change America into a nation like Switzerland/Norway/Sweden.

1. Get out of every country and reduce the military by half. That solves the 12 trillion debt.
no it doesnt. military spending is less than 20% of the overall budget.

Quote:
2. Eliminate the need to import oil. We can produce all the oil we need here(fracking, etc.)
in other words tell the environmentalist wackos to go pound sand? i can get behind that. too bad our president cant.

Quote:
3. 40 hour work week max with universal benefit package according to some federal standard.
oh great, just what we need, an incompetent federal government telling us what we should do, or what we need.

Quote:
doing this will eliminate the debt, eliminate the need to rely on other countries for energy, and bring back stability to the average family.
again no it wont. we still dont produce enough energy to meet all our needs, and we never will. and if we want to bring back stability to the american family, then we need to stop attacking religion in this country, and stop attacking the family in this country. the country is losing its morals, and many are applauding that as "progress", when in reality it is hurting the family unit.

Quote:
doing this does lower the stature of america as a superpower, but that is fine with me. i dont want to be involved with other countries and i dont need to be the best like neo cons want.
the US had built itself into a superpower during world war two when we had to create a huge military, and supply that military and that of our allies. we continued that when we created the UN, and entered a variety of mutual defense treaties with a large number of countries around the world. we have a responsibility as the leaders of the free world that we just cant shirk.

that said however, we do need to temper our intrusion into world politics to what is in the best interests of ourselves and our allies.

Quote:
this is simple guys.
its not as simple as you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Americans, the USA variety, have been enriching the rest of the planet by buying their junk, by sending American jobs overseas, by keeping sea lanes open to name several.

Let's see, what nation invented the internet? Norway? Finland? UK? China? Cuba? Duhhhhhhh.......

What nation put GPS together that the worlds air and sea traffic use to get to their destinations more safely than ever? That was Argentina or was it Brazil. Hmmmm.....

What nation has kept Japan, Korea and China from going to war for decades? What country has kept the Koreas from continuing their fighting resulting in a prosperous South Korea. That would be Liberia I think.

What is the number one trading partner of the US and has been for many, many years? Canada. What country has the largest embassy in Washington, DC closest to the US Capitol building and the White House? Canada. What country do Canadians go to mostly when they don't want to wait in the national health plan queue? That would be the USA.

What country do other nations hope to goodness doesn't bail out of the international security arena? USA. Do some homework on this one if you don't believe it. If not the USA, then who? The US is the only truly international country. There are older Vietnamese who still hope for the US to return.

USA, USA, USA, USA.
BRAVO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Now you are discussing labor/management issues, many of those benefits were put in place to draw good workers to their companies not pushed on them by labor unions or the government. I find it interesting that some companies that are doing this are not even companies that have unions involved with them? Face it businesses will make any excuse to save a buck, that includes do whatever they want at the expense of their workers, cutting benefits, vacation time, salaries and off-shoring jobs are just a few of their new tactics.
business will do what it has to in order to remain open and viable. business is not there for the employees, but rather the customers, and until people understand that, business will be tagged with heavier burdens if the anti business people get their way. remember that every benefit that business provides its employees costs money, and the more money you cost a business, the higher the prices that business is going to charge. if the market cant bear those prices, then the business either has to cut costs, or die on the vine. if the business dies on the vine, then the employees it had are out without incomes, and the other benefits the business was providing for them. how well do you think that is going to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Come one Casper. We don’t have a man crush on Putin. We just look at that guy and see a guy, who is a guy, then we look at our guy and he looks like a 14 year old girl when he rides a bicycle....

Then there is the whole bowing to everyone else in the world.

Apology tours.

Drawing fake lines in the sand then telling anyone listening "I DIDNT DO THAT".... which is kind of like when he told everyone not listening "YOU DIDNT DO THAT"

They have a bully. We have a petulant yet fickle adolescent. As absurd as it may be, comparisons will be made. You’re just stuck with the reality that your guy fails the comparisons...
i had to rep you for this post.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

business will do what it has to in order to remain open and viable. business is not there for the employees, but rather the customers, and until people understand that, business will be tagged with heavier burdens if the anti business people get their way. remember that every benefit that business provides its employees costs money, and the more money you cost a business, the higher the prices that business is going to charge. if the market cant bear those prices, then the business either has to cut costs, or die on the vine. if the business dies on the vine, then the employees it had are out without incomes, and the other benefits the business was providing for them. how well do you think that is going to work?

Problem with your above comment is that you ASSUME that they are dropping benefits simply to stay alive and keep their doors open, and that is something anyone that knows anything about the business world knows is simply not the case. Tactics such as closing US plants and off-shoring those manufacturing jobs to third-world countries using something akin to slave labor does save that business lots of money, and that is their choice, But you then speak of customers, let them sell their wares to those people they have working for them in third world countries, not to those that they fired to make more profits, all products produced outside the US should be subject to imprt taxes, INCLUDING those products produced by US companies abroad, why not the products ARE imports who owns the company does not matter. I wonder what would happen to the idea of off-shoring jobs then.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Read the 2 quotes below and tell me whether the goal posts were changed or not...

No need to attempt to save your fellow canuck.....
I read both of them before responding to yours and perhaps you should have read my response to Oleg's offering about "their shame" in post number #36 if you think I'm only about saving a fellow Canuck.

He can handle himself in any case.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Less than one half of one percent of Canadians go to the US for health care.
Which countries do Americans go to mostly because when they can't afford the ridiculously overinflated health care costs? India. Mexico. Thailand.
Wonder if that will continue under Obamacare as Americans accessing Medical Tourism are already taking much health care wealth OUT of the USA. 2007 saw at least a million of them getting their knees and hearts tuned up elsewhere. The number today would probably be double that as they age and access their 401K's etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies