Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,700,900 times

Advertisements

Don't you just love those posts that offer no content but center around 'if you don't like leave.' Isn't this suppose to be a free country one in which everyone is entitled to their own opinion? I am embarrassed that some Americans would rather see freedom of speech banned simply to stop people from speaking their minds. These are the same people who don't like other groups, religions, or races. If another person is not like them, or does not agree with them then that person/persons should leave is their mindset.

If you believe that a person does not have the right to express there own opinion then it is you who are in the wrong place?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The average American is a good and upright person...but they are embarrassed because of the poor reputation America has abroad. Recently I hopped on a street car in Toronto...I met and older woman...who was with her daughter and grand daughter...They were three generations of Texans ....wonderful friendly people.. as we got to the core of the city we all went down into the subway and stood on the platform chatting....a stranger approached the older Texan and asked for directions. I interjected and said..."They don't know- they are American tourists".....

The look I got from the grandmother clearly said - Why did you tell her that....She was embarrassed to be identified as an American. I really did not understand why she would be...They were intelligent attractive people....I do have one regret about that short meeting....The daughter was very warm and friendly...She was also the classic Texas beauty and single...
ROFLMAO!!!

Sure, you are on a street here in the US and somebody asks you, "Where is the closest bus stop?"

I spurt out, "He wouldn't know, he's a Canadian tourist."

At that point, what do you do? Do you smile real big and say, "I just here visiting eh. Where's the ice hockey eh?"

My guess is that you would have a funny look on your face while thinking in your head, "Why did this moron just cut me off like that and assume I know nothing about this area? I come here every year and know exactly where the bus stop is. Geez, I hope all Americans aren't this obnoxious."

Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Don't you just love those posts that offer no content but center around 'if you don't like leave.' Isn't this suppose to be a free country one in which everyone is entitled to their own opinion? I am embarrassed that some Americans would rather see freedom of speech banned simply to stop people from speaking their minds. These are the same people who don't like other groups, religions, or races. If another person is not like them, or does not agree with them then that person/persons should leave is their mindset.

If you believe that a person does not have the right to express there own opinion then it is you who are in the wrong place?
i dont see anyone trying to stop the OP and others from expressing themselves, but with rights come responsibilities, and for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction(works for everything not just physics). you can say you are embarrassed by things this country is doing, and i will defend your right to say it. however you have to allow me, and defend my right to react to what you are saying. and if my reaction is negative, then so be it i also have that right.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,007,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
No Vacation Time Mandate by Employer
No Free Healthcare 1776-2013
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave

We're supposed to be the land of opportunity, not the land of entitlements. Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then you lied in the post i quoted, or you are lying now. you said they were american tourists, you didnt say anything about one of them living there. and about the question asked, perhaps they DID know the answer and you again made assumptions that were NOT true. and perhaps the grandmother was upset that you were making the assumption based on the fact they were american. you are the one that is and was wrong.
You were not a party to the coversation and know nothing about the facial, body or other nuances about the exchange that took place yet you're jumping on the person who was.

Kettle meet pot!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I believe you are wrong....The youngest daughter was living in Toronto studying to be a chef...I am sure it was not the first time they were in Toronto...The question asked by the woman was obscure...Even I who live in the city could not give an answer....It was impossible that the Americans could respond...No....there were no assumptions made...it was the word the phrase "They are Americans" that made grandmas eyes bulge in embarrassment...They just wanted to fit into the Canadian landscape...they were on their way to the museum - They really liked Toronto....Jokingly I asked if they had brought their guns...Grandma smiled and said..."No- we left them at home".... Our conversation lasted almost half an hour....The impression I got was that these Texans wished America was a little more Canadian.

The other thing that came up on it's own regarding law and order...was the fact that Texas executes far to many people....The older woman thought that was something to be ashamed of.

I've encounterd much the same attitude from American tourists all over Canada, BUT I temper my acceptance of their supposed "shame" with the self reminder that ANYONE visiting a foreign country will oft times tend to ingratiate themselves towards the commonly held and espoused ideological beliefs of their hosts.

In other words they were saying all the stuff they thought you would like to hear. NORMAL behaviour wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by BruSan; 09-25-2013 at 09:19 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,567,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
No Vacation Time Mandate by Employer
No Free Healthcare 1776-2013
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
Join a union. We'll get you most of that. I don't know about the pledge though.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,007,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I call it a criminal mindset. Trying to get at your wages to pay for their wants.

Well... someone's gotta do it ya know!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,414,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

who wants to ban freedom of speech? Nobody has called for the government to kick the OP out. No one has suggested they cant speak.

What we have suggested is that they have choices. You are not required to be an American and if you dont want to be because you dont get enough free stuff from other people...well then there are options.

the irony here is that you are using the term "free speech" while bashing those who are offering up an opposing opinion...

Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM

46,329 posts, read 27,181,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You were not a party to the coversation and know nothing about the facial, body or other nuances about the exchange that took place yet you're jumping on the person who was.

Kettle meet pot!
Nope, only what was given to us by the OP.....and they clearly stated they were tourist....then they changed their story to one lives there....

reading comprehension...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies