Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The President has a duty to bring the 2 leaders together (Reid and Boehner) and work out something.

The problem is that Obama is NOT Clinton because Clinton did it.
Obama's background is community activist, not negotiator.
Clinton didn't have to deal with the likes of Ted Cruz and the tea party, Newt Gingrich seems extremely reasonable by comparison. The logical thing to do would be to pass a temporary authorization and continue the debate rather than a monumental waste of money and impacts to peoples lives. Now we have the GOP coming up with piecemeal solutions to move away from the shutdown, makes no sense.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
When have the House Tea Party Republicans allowed themselves to led by anybody? Right now they have put a ring through Boehner's nose and are leading HIM around. These 30 or so representatives are proud of the fact that they will not be led. The Speaker of the House can't even control his own caucus, yet you expect the president, whom they hate the the heat of a thousand suns, to do what their own leader has failed at so miserably?
I still can't figure out why everyone is buying this fairy tale.
There are 233 Republicans in the House - exactly how is it that 30 of them are running the show?
The math says that's just not possible.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There are 233 Republicans in the House - exactly how is it that 30 of them are running the show?
I know. It makes no sense that so many Republicans are cowed by the fear of being primaried by the Tea Party that they will toe the line and do whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen. No fairy tale, more like a horror story, but that's what's happening. They're a bunch of cowards, more concerned with keeping their jobs than with the welfare of the country.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Just an FYI that should be passed around....Costco has opened thier doors to all military with a valid ID....until the commissaries open back up...

We went there, pick and choose, but a lot of things were cheaper than the commissary....
Same for Sam's Club... we dont have Costco yet in our area

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This is so true. I did not agree with Clinton's ideology but I have to admit the man could indeed govern. Perhaps that executive experience he gained as a governor was more important after all. I can think of no executive experience Obama has gained in his short run up to the White House.
I can't imagine anything much worse than trying to wrangle a bunch of politicians into actually accomplishing anything - but that's what a Governor has to do. He/She also has to make sure that whatever they do - it's somewhat satisfactory to the electorate or HE/SHE will get the blame. That's good experience for higher office .... all that said, Clinton (from what I've read) has a great personality, knows how to really talk to people and is willing to work hard. He actually never had any non-Government experience (like running a business), but he turned politics into an Art Form.

I didn't vote for him his first term, but did for his second term. I'm not nearly as concerned with "ideology" as I am with results.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Boehner lets them.

Boehner is the Speaker of the House. He controls what bills are introduced to the House.

Boehner has to avoid a split of the GOP. He can't let the Tea Party contingent become a third party in the House, because then there are only 203 Republicans in the House---no longer the majority party.

Boehner's job is to maximize the power of his party and it's influence while it controls the House.

The Tea Party contingent is willing to sink the Republican party, and indeed the entire Federal government, if it doesn't get its way. Boehner doesn't want to sink the Republican Party, so he's hoping that they will concede eventually to the moderate Republican positions.

So far they haven't.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Boehner lets them.

Boehner is the Speaker of the House. He controls what bills are introduced to the House.

Boehner has to avoid a split of the GOP. He can't let the Tea Party contingent become a third party in the House, because then there are only 203 Republicans in the House---no longer the majority party.

Boehner's job is to maximize the power of his party and it's influence while it controls the House.

The Tea Party contingent is willing to sink the Republican party, and indeed the entire Federal government, if it doesn't get its way. Boehner doesn't want to sink the Republican Party, so he's hoping that they will concede eventually to the moderate Republican positions.

So far they haven't.
That's a lot of mind reading there. Just saying - haven't seen Boehner actually say any of the above.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Default Today's actions say it all

Now that they're opening the shut down mall for a pro illegal immigration Dem group but keeping the WW2 and other federal monuments closed for everyone else you cannot deny the left is needlessly causing this and it's all about Charlie Sheen style "winning" at all costs.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's a lot of mind reading there. Just saying - haven't seen Boehner actually say any of the above.
You think he's going to come out and publicly admit that he's powerless? That he's being ruled by a small contingent within his party? DC's post is spot on. Boehner is trying to keep his coalition together at the expense of the country. If this were not the case, he would bring a clean CR to the floor for a vote. He won't, because the Tea Party will be pissed when it passes. And here we are.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Now that they're opening the shut down mall for a pro illegal immigration Dem group but keeping the WW2 and other federal monuments closed for everyone else you cannot deny the left is needlessly causing this and it's all about Charlie Sheen style "winning" at all costs.
AGAIN with the damn monuments? Can you guys not admit that there are bigger issues here? Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies