Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,925,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So the better solution is to continue the impasse? That makes sense.
The better solution would be for Boehner to present the Senate's clean bill to the House, and let the House pass it. I don't blame the tea party delegation for their opinion, or their action. I do blame Boehner for continuing to kowtow to the GOP's tea party faction. It's time for Boehner to put away the hanky and man up.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,958,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
He thinks that he is a dictator?
As we await the Obama statues and bigger than life size posters to cover our streets!!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,555,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Serious question, in your opinion why did they wait 3 years (after the election no less) to implement it?
June 27th, 2012 this legislation was adjudicated in a 5-4 Supreme Court ruling. In a little over 12 months after that, this law was implemented.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:52 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,042,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The better solution would be for Boehner to present the Senate's clean bill to the House, and let the House pass it. I don't blame the tea party delegation for their opinion, or their action. I do blame Boehner for continuing to kowtow to the GOP's tea party faction. It's time for Boehner to put away the hanky and man up.
Do you think it would pass the House? I am curious because now that the Senate and its leader has taken the opportunity to malign the Republicans as much as possible (e.g. calling them anarchists, spoiled, etc), it may make even that option be untenable to Republicans that previously would have voted for a clean CR. As was stated upthread, this is about egos and Reid's lack of statemanship could harm any effort to get this impasse cleared away.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,042,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
June 27th, 2012 this legislation was adjudicated in a 5-4 Supreme Court ruling. In a little over 12 months after that, this law was implemented.
Actually, the entire legislation was not being considered in that ruling. Just to be clear.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,961,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You have that backwards. The House did what the people wanted. The Senate and president are bullying the nation into what it does not want. Where have you been? Listening to CNN? You need to broaden your information scope.
Not sure who you mean by "the people". Fox news, Rush Limbaugh fans? There are PLENTY of people who support the Affordable Care Act. Those count as people, too. You need to broaden your knowledge that a whole country exists outside of your own little bubble.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,925,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Do you think it would pass the House? I am curious because now that the Senate and its leader has taken the opportunity to malign the Republicans as much as possible (e.g. calling them anarchists, spoiled, etc), it may make even that option be untenable to Republicans that previously would have voted for a clean CR. As was stated upthread, this is about egos and Reid's lack of statemanship could harm any effort to get this impasse cleared away.
Actually, yes, I do. I think the non-Tea Party Republicans combined with the Democrats outnumber the Tea Party Republicans, in the same way that the non-Blue Dog Democrats outnumbered the Blue Dog Democrats in the 90's. While I recognize that Boehner is trying to keep the schism in the GOP from splitting it apart, his efforts are enabling the Tea Party Republicans to hold our government hostage. And that's not acceptable. That's why Americans are so unhappy with Congress. Not because it's too conservative or too liberal, but because it's become dysfunctional. And while I recognize that Boehner has been placed in an impossible position, a fail or fail position, it is what it is. And it's time for him to take a deep breath and take command of the situation.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,973,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN
You have that backwards. The House did what the people wanted. The Senate and president are bullying the nation into what it does not want. Where have you been? Listening to CNN? You need to broaden your information scope.
Ahh, so you are claiming that the House is doing what the people want. How convenient, but wrong again.

Poll: Don't Shut Down the Government Over Obamacare

Quote:
A new Quinnipiac University poll released on Tuesday shows voters overwhelmingly oppose Congress shutting down the federal government as a way to stop the 2010 health care law from being implemented, matching other public polling that shows that Democrats enter the shutdown with the upper hand.

The Quinnipiac poll also shows Democrats with a 9-point lead on the 2014 House generic ballot -- a historically wide edge, despite the structural advantages that make a Democratic takeover of the House unlikely.

Overall, the poll shows voters are split on the health care law: 45 percent support it, while 47 percent oppose it. Other polls have shown stronger opposition to the law, however.

But despite their overall ambivalence toward the law, voters oppose efforts to defund it. Just 34 percent think Congress should cut off funding, and support is even lower when those defunding efforts are tied to a government shutdown (22 percent) or raising the debt limit (27 percent). A wide majority, 72 percent, oppose shutting down the government to cut off funding the health care law.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,968,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Threatining to shut down the government unless they get their way, period. Now they have followed through. As far as I am concerned, they are criminals and have attacked America.
Oh my, day 2 of the government shutdown and you're still alive. How can that be possible?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,263,450 times
The House is now trying to pass bills to fund several segments of the government. However, they cannot get 'fast-tracked' as Democrats are voting 'no' in block and a 2/3 majority is needed for fast-tracking. Furthermore, Sen. Reid stated the Senate will not approve for these bills, and Obama said he will veto them.

Looks like both sides are dug in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies