Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Listening to a conference call with my House Rep right now. She's discussing the fact that the House has passed a budget every single year. So half of Congress is getting their budget done. The other half just wants a blank check for a bigger amount each time (oops, I mean "clean CR").
If that's what your House Rep is saying, you're not getting the truth...

This is really not that hard. The Senate passes a budget proposal. The House passes a budget proposal. Then you open inter-cameral negotiation to reach agreement. Except the Republicans have flat-out refused to even enter into negotiation since spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If that's what your House Rep is saying, you're not getting the truth...

This is really not that hard. The Senate passes a budget proposal. The House passes a budget proposal. Then you open inter-cameral negotiation to reach agreement. Except the Republicans have flat-out refused to even enter into negotiation since spring.
The Senate won't even pass their own budget proposal most years.

Senate passes its first budget proposal in four years - CNN.com

The House has passed on every year.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

The proposal was to set the funding levels for the various government agencies next year. But because those amounts were set already as part of last year's debt ceiling agreement, this year's budget is really a political document that outlines priorities for the Democrats who control the Senate.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Well, good on the House. What that has to do with the House's current idiocy, I am not sure.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The checks and balances are working.

Long ago a budget was sent through congress at the beginning of each physical year.

Then each year, the congress pass what parts of government were funded, with that budget during that year, to keep that budget balanced.
I have no idea why people are so upset with this. You are correct. This is how it's supposed to work. One side doesn't just get their way because they stomp their feet. They have to negotiate and find a compromise.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
The proposal was to set the funding levels for the various government agencies next year. But because those amounts were set already as part of last year's debt ceiling agreement, this year's budget is really a political document that outlines priorities for the Democrats who control the Senate.
So - your stance has been modified from "the Senate hasn't put a budget to a vote" to "this budget doesn't count"?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I know, it was just symbolic this year. They really haven't passed one in 5 years. But if you point that out, someone would start screaming they had passed one this year, so I figured I wouldn't bother arguing that. The point is the same, the Dems refuse to pass or operate on a budget.

ETA: lol, see above.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I know, it was just symbolic this year.
I see. "That budget? That doesn't count." Ah well, I tried. Hope you enjoy the GOP's nosedive in the polls.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I see. "That budget? That doesn't count." Ah well, I tried. Hope you enjoy the GOP's nosedive in the polls.
Spin baby spin. You got caught with your pants down claiming the Dems had passed budgets every year and were totally shot down with reality.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM

423 posts, read 415,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have no idea why people are so upset with this. You are correct. This is how it's supposed to work. One side doesn't just get their way because they stomp their feet. They have to negotiate and find a compromise.
They are upset with it because they have been TOLD to be upset with it. If their beloved administration told them to stick their heads in the ground, they'd be out this very moment looking for a nice soft piece of turf with which to do it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies