Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You believe in the Constitution. Or you do not believe in the Constitution. In basic terms.

The Constitution is not supposed to mean, "for my race but for everybody else good luck."
Why did it take an amendment to enact prohibition of alcohol but not to enact our current federal drug laws? IMO the protection of individual liberty our Constitution defends has been greatly eroded by the courts in the last 80 years and those on the bottom are suffering the most because of it.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why did it take an amendment to enact prohibition of alcohol but not to enact our current federal drug laws? IMO the protection of individual liberty our Constitution defends has been greatly eroded by the courts in the last 80 years and those on the bottom are suffering the most because of it.
People who have been considered "at the bottom" have never really been respected much in terms of their rights. People who were at the bottom are never considered because it goes to class warfare. Those in power have to keep everyone else scared of one another in order to keep themselves in power.

I would argue that one thing to consider is this. I believe one thing that made passing Prohibition laws easy was the attitudes towards persons who were of German and Irish descent. There was alot of anti-Irish and anti-German sentiments around the time Prohibition was passed. It was a backlash against people who were seen as "Un-American" and "different" and those who were considered dangerous. You see, in order to get someone to give up their rights, you have to convince that person "that person who doesn't look like you, that person is below you, and will come after you and take from you".

Consider the Deep South. In order to keep a certain hierarchy, politicians in power had to convince poor White people and working class Whites that their skin color was more important than their economic standing.

Last edited by green_mariner; 12-07-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
You have nothing to hide, yet your user profile with basic information about yourself is restricted. This isn't an attack, just an interesting observation. Ok with getting pulled over for no reason because your driving an old car and have nothing to hide, yet are protective with basic information online that nobody is even interested in seeing.
That seriously might be the dumbest analogy I've ever heard. I have nothing to hide from the GOVERNMENT/LAW ENFORCEMENT in regards to breaking the law. That doesn't mean I would throw my political and religious beliefs out on the internet with my personal information attached to them for the general public to view.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:25 PM

229 posts, read 232,545 times
Who is committing the majority of the crimes,also we're not talking about jaywalking either...murder,rape,robberies and felony assaults. now you know why they get arrested.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm assuming you support Stop and Frisk and the NSA as well.

I'm sorry but that is not what our country was founded on. Despite what YOU or I might believe, that is not what our Fore Fathers intended and there was blood spilled so that we would have rights and more freedom.

It's almost laughable now because it seems that many countries have already passed us up in terms of freedom.

Would you be in favor of changing the Pledge of Allegience and Constitution as well?
I could give a flying #%$@ what the "Fore Fathers intended. You're talking about people that lived 200 years ago, that owned slaves. The world we live in is not the world they lived in. The pledge of allegiance was created as a tool to teach children and the illiterate nationalism. I don't have a have a problem with my kids repeating it every morning in school, and I wouldn't care if they didn't. As far as the constitution goes, it's an old document that's vastly too simple for the complexities of our society. If by changing it you mean adding to it, my answer to your question would be yes. It lacks the depth needed to solve problems within this country that people like Thomas Jefferson could never have even imagined.

Live in the now, and open your mind. If the ultra progressives that wrote the constitution where around today, they wouldn't think twice about changing it.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Redfish1, I must say! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11222blue View Post
Who is committing the majority of the crimes,also we're not talking about jaywalking either...murder,rape,robberies and felony assaults. now you know why they get arrested.
We're not talking about those crimes here. Everybody, regardless of race, doesn't want those crimes to occur in their neighborhood.

The bigger issue at hand is lesser crimes, or things currently on the books where there's no victim at all.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:43 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I could give a flying #%$@ what the "Fore Fathers intended. You're talking about people that lived 200 years ago, that owned slaves. The world we live in is not the world they lived in. The pledge of allegiance was created as a tool to teach children and the illiterate nationalism. I don't have a have a problem with my kids repeating it every morning in school, and I wouldn't care if they didn't. As far as the constitution goes, it's an old document that's vastly too simple for the complexities of our society. If by changing it you mean adding to it, my answer to your question would be yes. It lacks the depth needed to solve problems within this country that people like Thomas Jefferson could never have even imagined.

Live in the now, and open your mind. If the ultra progressives that wrote the constitution where around today, they wouldn't think twice about changing it.
If you want to be a Red Coat, go right ahead. Be a subject to your government. Regardless of its laws.

For the rest of us, we want our rights and we want our protections against a oppressive government.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:44 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
nyc looks to be promising. when de blasio wins stop and frisk (which is a violation of the 4th amendment) and ray kelly are gone.

policing is not about preventing crime, its about revenue generation.

police target those who they believe they can take advantage of (minorities)

i have seen some great youtbe videos of some blacks dropping the constitution on these white cops when they know they are being targeted by them.

I will be interested in if the crime rates increase in NYC over this
I have a feeling that city will quickly fall back to a high crime right now
it is one of the safest cities
so wait and see a couple of years

Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 PM

I think SQF is a good thing.if your not doing anything wrong...you don't need to worry. Yes! I've been stopped before and I didn't get insulted or felt like I was being violated. It seems like the people that it bothers are the people who are about or had committed a crime.

SQF took a lot of illegal guns off the city streets. I that makes my feel safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies