Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
An important question to ask is this. Why should the Blacks who do obey the law, who are decent, suffer and pay for the Blacks who commit crimes and cause problems? I don't look at this as "it is what it is". I look at it as "WHY should it be that way"? I don't care "what is". I care about "why should it be that way"?
I think its an education issue at this point. Some simply lack the critical thinking skills to make the association that something is not right about current practices. They lack the faith that a better system could be put in place and they lack compassion that it takes to sympathize with someone other than themselves or from their own race.

Honestly, as a black male, I feel its time for the black community to organize once again and to stand up to the injustices being done to our race. That's my next step.

I talked to a friend from the courts today and they are currently in the works of exposing some widespread corruption locally. Black people are not the only ones being screwed by our current system and when the issue is brought to the lime light I think everyone will be amazed at how deep the corruption spreads.

You gotta be doing something wrong to not only have the highest incarceration rate in the world, but also still have the most violent developed nation.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Violent crimes are disproportionately committed by young black males.

It's a fact.

How about you black posters try to deal with that rather than whining about its impact on what whites and Asians think about black people?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

It's a fact.

How about you black posters try to deal with that rather than whining about its impact on what whites and Asians think about black people?
What was it that made the Italians the most violent group in America during the 30's?

And another point. After years of negotiations and working by many religious groups and peace advocates, do you know who it was who was trying to dismantle the Gang truce in Los Angeles???

I'll give you a hint. It wasn't the gangs.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM

They were 1st generation immigrants (usually born here to immigrant parents, but sometimes the immigrants themselves) who were lured into crime by the opportunity presented by Prohibition.

In the mid 1800's, it was the 1st generation Irish who were committing most of the crimes, but these didn't involve prohibition, they involved mostly petty theft and theft via local government graft.

Blacks aren't first generation immigrants.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
They were 1st generation immigrants (usually born here to immigrant parents, but sometimes the immigrants themselves) who were lured into crime by the opportunity presented by Prohibition.

In the mid 1800's, it was the 1st generation Irish who were committing most of the crimes, but these didn't involve prohibition, they involved mostly petty theft and theft via local government graft.

Blacks aren't first generation immigrants.
So your saying that it was immigration that caused the high crime rates? I've never heard that one before. And your right about blacks not being immigrants, we were brought here as slaves and denied full rights until roughly 50 years ago.

Would there be a Drug Trade if there weren't users? Are you trying to say that white people don't use drugs?

There's commercials now for what made cities like Chicago and small towns like my hometown violent in the past. Maybe there's causes that are effecting certain portions of the population more than others.

Can you really argue that our legal system is trying to reduce crime when the Police are breaking up peace treaties within the black community? Why are there large middle class black communities in this country with almost no crime?

Is it about race? Or maybe other factors that disproportionately affect a particular race.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 AM

There seems to be a permanent underclass of blacks who live off crime and welfare. And it never changes from one generation to the next.

You didn't see that with the immigrant groups in the past who got involved in crime in America, like the Irish and the Italians.

Many other 1st generation immigrants from areas other than Italy and Ireland (but who immigrated to America during those same eras) DID NOT become involved in crime to the extent that the Irish and Italians did. I don't know what it was in those cultures that made crime seem so attractive, while it didn't for say, German immigrants or Polish or Hungarian immigrants.

If blacks want to truly stop profiling by whites and Asians, you have to fix the underclass so the crime rate is roughly equal to that of whites and Asians. Until then, the problem will continue.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
There seems to be a permanent underclass of blacks who live off crime and welfare. And it never changes from one generation to the next.

You didn't see that with the immigrant groups in the past who got involved in crime in America, like the Irish and the Italians.

Many other 1st generation immigrants from areas other than Italy and Ireland (but who immigrated to America during those same eras) DID NOT become involved in crime to the extent that the Irish and Italians did. I don't know what it was in those cultures that made crime seem so attractive, while it didn't for say, German immigrants or Polish or Hungarian immigrants.

If blacks want to truly stop profiling by whites and Asians, you have to fix the underclass so the crime rate is roughly equal to that of whites and Asians. Until then, the problem will continue.

Using your logic, any white male near a kid needs to be monitored, since white males are overrepresented when it comes to the percentage of child rapists and pedophiles in proportion to there demographic.

Mass generalizations are what dumb and lazy people do.

I have no problem with selective profiling though. Selective meaning if I'm in a high crime area and I see some blacks I think I might be trouble because of how they are acting, I would be on high alert. Just as I would be on alert if I were in a high crime area and saw whites acting odd to me.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:

It's a fact.

Since when has anyone argued about the statistics? That is not what we are trying to refute.

These is the million dollar question no one wants to answer: Why should Black people who are not causing crime or problems suffer/pay for the Black persons who are committing crimes?

What does some Black criminal in the ghetto have to do with Black people like my family, or the millions of Blacks who have nothing to do with Black criminals?

Why shouldn't Blacks care? If my rights are being violated, why should I not care what happens to me? These are not rhetorical questions. I require answers, straight answers. What is in it for me?

I feel that responding to this by calling it "whining", I see it as a mentality of callousness. I see it as agreeing with the idea of people's rights being taken away. That is how I see it.

My question: Why should Black people put up with being treated unfairly? What is in it for me or those who haven't committed any crimes?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you in that there are certain neighborhoods that need to be fixed. Not at all. What I'm saying is that there are both white and black neighborhoods that suffer from those same issues. There's social issues that contribute to their crime and violence.

You talk about a "permanent" underclass of blacks.

Well do you know what happened when the "black community" tried to bring itself out of despair? It's leaders were assassinated, families were discriminated against, and drugs were pushed into black communities.

There have been systematic "hurdles" some targeted from the outside, some self inflicted, that have devastated many black communities.

Change doesn't happen overnight and harassing and arresting a population over trivial things like marijuana possession, or "trespassing" when no other charges can be mounted is NOT helping the black community.

If your not black, or have not been a victim of Police misconduct/abuse, it might be hard for you to relate. Trust me, it was not an issue I looked into until an officer (black officer mind you) falsified evidence to try and get a DUI conviction on me when I was completely honest and friendly with him from the get go. Luckily the judge called him out and protected my innocence. That situation lead me to look into the issue of Police misconduct/abuse and its effect on society.

To that officer simply trying to meet a quota, it was nothing. I'm sure he got a slap on the wrist. To me, it was devastating. I suffered from anxiety and depression. I spent tons of money and time fighting my case. I lost my business for the time, that I'd worked for over a year, trying to simply prove my innocence.

If you want to reduce crime I applaud you and have the same goal, but harassing and profiling is not the way to do it. It can be proven with our out of control crime rates.

I'm not saying all cops are bad, or that things shouldn't be done to reduce crime, what I'm arguing is methodology and the direct violation of American's rights.

Believe me, its not just blacks and minorities who are having their rights violated. I know tons of poor white Americans who have Police misconduct/abuse stories that would make your blood boil.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:31 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
If there is one thing many Blacks have learned, it is this. You can't fix those who don't want to be fixed. You can't fix those who won't listen. Bill Cosby has been trying, and many in the underclass scoff at him. Many Blacks have tried, only to be scoffed at or ignored by the underclass. Many of us have learned you can only do so much. That is why many of us go and live in other places.

What ever happened to "You do the crime YOU(and only YOU) do the time"? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whatever happened to "what you do sticks to you and only you"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies