Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Legislation aimed at quelling racial profiling by police is one step closer to becoming permanent law.

The Illinois House Thursday voted 63-46 in favor of HB4442—legislation that would prolong the Traffic Stop Data Collection Act, which is set to expire in July 2015. The measure requires that police officers record the ethnicity of every driver they curb.

Obama's Racial Profiling Act May Become Permanent - Government - Tinley Park, IL Patch
That can be sticky IMHO since "race" and "ethnicity" ain't the same thing. Like Jose Martinez would be a Brit if born in England, a Hispanic if born in the US and so on tho he might be "white" going by race. But his ethnicity would follow the country except maybe in the US.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
What you have noted may not be popular with some, but it is a step in the right direction.

Some non minorities may be too disconnected from reality to appreciated and understand what minorities experience, even in today's modern world.

Some 5 years ago, I was driving south bound on the the 101 from San Francisco to San Jose. I was driving a new Porsche in the number 2 lane of 4 lanes. I noticed a CHP cruiser coming up from behind me in the far right number 1 Lane. I checked my speedometer and I was at the speed limit (65 mph) and moving with the flow of traffic.

As the said cruiser was approaching on my right, I assumed it would simply pass me at its current speed. No . . . The officer drove along side of me for a bit. My wife noticed this and asked me if I was speeding . . . duh!

The officer pulled away and changed into the number 3 lane on my right and slowed down. As we passed, I looked at the officer. After we had passed the cruiser, it dropped in right behind us. Needless to say, both my wife and I are starting to get a bit nervous. The officer stayed behind us for what seemed like an eternity. I started to laugh out loud. My wife asked me why I was laughing. I told her, that if pulled over, the officer would discover 2 upset middle aged Chinese adults in the car.

After a time, the officer switched back into the number 1 lane and paced behind us for a short time before pulling away for good.

To this day, I cannot say what exactly had happened. However, I have an idea. I'm sure that the officer was performing his duties, whatever that may or may not be. I'm not going to say it was harassment. I'm not going to say it was profiling. I will say that I did not and do not appreciate that sort of treatment.

That was a very minor event. Nonetheless, I felt like a criminal. I don't expect anyone to understand that.

I may be criticized for my next comment. I believe that if I were black, I would have been pulled over to the side.

I still retain a healthy respect for law enforcement. However, some things need to be tweaked a bit.
The cop might've been profiling your Porsche since maybe 1 like it had been stolen and it just happened the people in it was some kind of "Asian".

Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Mr Jackson IS a "minority" AND HE def profiles young Black dudes too since he was relieved those footsteps were by "white" dudes. If you won't face what is being said between the lines, you need to figure it out. Sheesh!

Since you like repeating stupid people saying stupid stuff, this buttclown would proably be one of your heroes:

Rep. Allen West's 15 Most Outrageous Statements ...

Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
The cop might've been profiling your Porsche since maybe 1 like it had been stolen and it just happened the people in it was some kind of "Asian".

Waitaminute, did you justify racial profiling?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,353 times
Quote:
"race" and "ethnicity" ain't the same thing.
Agreed.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
What you have noted may not be popular with some, but it is a step in the right direction.

Some non minorities may be too disconnected from reality to appreciated and understand what minorities experience, even in today's modern world.

Some 5 years ago, I was driving south bound on the the 101 from San Francisco to San Jose. I was driving a new Porsche in the number 2 lane of 4 lanes. I noticed a CHP cruiser coming up from behind me in the far right number 1 Lane. I checked my speedometer and I was at the speed limit (65 mph) and moving with the flow of traffic.

As the said cruiser was approaching on my right, I assumed it would simply pass me at its current speed. No . . . The officer drove along side of me for a bit. My wife noticed this and asked me if I was speeding . . . duh!

The officer pulled away and changed into the number 3 lane on my right and slowed down. As we passed, I looked at the officer. After we had passed the cruiser, it dropped in right behind us. Needless to say, both my wife and I are starting to get a bit nervous. The officer stayed behind us for what seemed like an eternity. I started to laugh out loud. My wife asked me why I was laughing. I told her, that if pulled over, the officer would discover 2 upset middle aged Chinese adults in the car.

After a time, the officer switched back into the number 1 lane and paced behind us for a short time before pulling away for good.

To this day, I cannot say what exactly had happened. However, I have an idea. I'm sure that the officer was performing his duties, whatever that may or may not be. I'm not going to say it was harassment. I'm not going to say it was profiling. I will say that I did not and do not appreciate that sort of treatment.

That was a very minor event. Nonetheless, I felt like a criminal. I don't expect anyone to understand that.

I may be criticized for my next comment. I believe that if I were black, I would have been pulled over to the side.

I still retain a healthy respect for law enforcement. However, some things need to be tweaked a bit.
I really appreciate you sharing your story. I'm glad (figuratively speaking) that you had the experience so that you can relate. Unless you've been through an experience where your treated like a criminal for no reason, you really can't understand how it makes you feel.

I have too many stories to type into 1 post. I have had minor instances like the one you described. My father and I were driving back cross country a few years ago and ran into issues in Oklahoma City. We were driving the U-Haul with a Mercedes on the back and of course, its two black men so we must be criminals

I was driving exactly the speed limit as well and I spotted the officer off to my right. I checked my speedometer to see if I'm good and continue on. Sure enough, the officer pulls out and begins to tail us. I drive EXACTLY the speed limit for about 2 miles before he finally pulls us over. He asks for license and insurance and I immediately ask him why he pulled us over (I've been pulled over for DWB multiple times, I'm a young black male). He gets upset at my questioning and says that he pulled us over for impeding traffic (which I looked up later and the whole thing was BS. We were in the middle lane going exactly the speed limit).

To make a long story short the officer wanted to search our U-Haul or vehicle. Maybe he thought we were drug dealers. In reality, we're both business owners and pretty straight laced. Either way, it was an illegal stop and the officer tried to make up a charge to interrogate us. Now it may seem like a minor inconvenience to some, and they may not understand the significance. But to be repeatedly stopped and treated like your less than in your own country (when you do a HELL of a lot more than the average joe) is just plain wrong.

In addition to the minor story above, I've been assaulted by officers and I've had an officer falsify documents against me in order to try to get a DUI. I was brought into this fight be corruption pure and simple. I was naive and a little green to the issue because I never got in trouble growing up, made good grades, and figured it'd never be an issue I dealt with.

I think Bamford's suggestion of requiring all officers to wear body cameras would be huge in combatting the problem. There also needs to be an Independent Investigative body monitoring our departments. If you allow our legal system to become corrupt how can you expect a fair and safe society?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
That can be sticky IMHO since "race" and "ethnicity" ain't the same thing. Like Jose Martinez would be a Brit if born in England, a Hispanic if born in the US and so on tho he might be "white" going by race. But his ethnicity would follow the country except maybe in the US.
When Police profile. They don't know the ethnicity of the driver. They can however guess the race.

Quote:
Really grasping for straws huh?

I find it funny that the person arguing FOR racial profiling is a delusional white male

Your an expert buddy lol

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Your an expert buddy lol[/b]
Remember folks, support your local minority education programs.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Remember folks, support your local minority education programs.
Or create jobs for those in need and help your fellow man up

Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Or create jobs for those in need and help your fellow man up
You have to create value for yourself before anyone will create a job for you or help you up to anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies