Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Other than dark skin "Hispanics"; please name me 1 group. Too; Hispanic ain't a race: many are def "white" so calling them a "minority" is wrong going by their DNA.
I have a Middle Eastern friend who has had similar experiences. He is very dark, almost looks black.

But wait, you haven't made a single point in this entire thread. What exactly is the point your trying to make?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
then your title should read:
The Police Hunt Black People (and other minorities) Like Slaves

as it stands, you are claiming police hunt black people like minorities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I understand. As such, why not simply use the word Minorities?
If you don't understand the thread its ok. Everyone else has been able to understand the topic at hand and most have responded accordingly.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,113,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If you don't understand the thread its ok. Everyone else has been able to understand the topic at hand and most have responded accordingly.

Well, I am a non black minority. I can appreciate and understand the thread. However, I just do not understand the need to differentiated between black and other minorities.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:

i understand that you worded the title incorrectly, it's ok.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/protest...que-slideshow/

Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Well, I am a non black minority. I can appreciate and understand the thread. However, I just do not understand the need to differentiated between black and other minorities.
Black people are targeted the most when it comes to Police profiling in this country. Stop and Frisk is a prime example.

NYPD Stop And Frisks: 15 Shocking Facts About A Controversial Program

Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Black people are targeted the most when it comes to Police profiling in this country. Stop and Frisk is a prime example.

NYPD Stop And Frisks: 15 Shocking Facts About A Controversial Program
Thank you. Without reading your link, I agree with you.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 PM

Legislation aimed at quelling racial profiling by police is one step closer to becoming permanent law.

The Illinois House Thursday voted 63-46 in favor of HB4442—legislation that would prolong the Traffic Stop Data Collection Act, which is set to expire in July 2015. The measure requires that police officers record the ethnicity of every driver they curb.

Obama's Racial Profiling Act May Become Permanent - Government - Tinley Park, IL Patch

Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
Quote:
Thanks for contributing and I'm glad you were able to understand the concept of the thread.

I checked out the link and the bold really stood out. If officers are acting in an ethical and law abiding manner already, why such the significant drop in complaints and the use of force??

BBC News - Body-worn police cameras in Southern California 'cut complaints'

"BBC London's home affairs correspondent Guy Smith went to Rialto in Southern California where they have carried out a pioneering experiment with officers wearing the body cameras for over a year.

The use of force there fell 60% and complaints against officers dropped by more than 80%."
All Police need to have body cameras which can be reviewed.

Furthermore I can't believe the police in the US still investigate themselves, in the UK more and more investigations are now subject to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is to have it's budget and staffing nearly doubled in the next few years and will also be given new powers, as well as taking on more police complaints work.

BBC News - Police watchdog may 'double' staff to investigate complaints

About us | Independent Police Complaints Commission

It's surely time the US had a proper independent police watchdog, in order to protect the public from police wrong doing as allowing the police to investigate themselves has never worked, and the police hold a good deal of power in relation to the average citizen, as well as the ability to take life.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
All Police need to have body cameras which can be reviewed.

Furthermore I can't believe the police in the US still investigate themselves, in the UK more and more investigations are now subject to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is to have it's budget and staffing nearly doubled in the next few years and will also be given new powers, as well as taking on more police complaints work.

BBC News - Police watchdog may 'double' staff to investigate complaints

About us | Independent Police Complaints Commission

It's surely time the US had a proper independent police watchdog, in order to protect the public from police wrong doing as allowing the police to investigate themselves has never worked, and the police hold a good deal of power in relation to the average citizen, as well as the ability to take life.
Thanks for the links and info. I'll definitely check them out.

I 110% agree with you about needing and independent agency investigating them. I've been advocating that for quite a while on here but many Americans are still under the false impression that Police misconduct isn't an issue.

I definitely like the steps that the UK is taking in order to protect its citizens. It makes TOO much sense to have body cameras on all Police so that there is a record of all of their interactions. The drops in complaints and use of force seen in the UK just go to show how big of an issue Police misconduct really is.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Legislation aimed at quelling racial profiling by police is one step closer to becoming permanent law.

The Illinois House Thursday voted 63-46 in favor of HB4442—legislation that would prolong the Traffic Stop Data Collection Act, which is set to expire in July 2015. The measure requires that police officers record the ethnicity of every driver they curb.

Obama's Racial Profiling Act May Become Permanent - Government - Tinley Park, IL Patch
What you have noted may not be popular with some, but it is a step in the right direction.

Some non minorities may be too disconnected from reality to appreciated and understand what minorities experience, even in today's modern world.

Some 5 years ago, I was driving south bound on the the 101 from San Francisco to San Jose. I was driving a new Porsche in the number 2 lane of 4 lanes. I noticed a CHP cruiser coming up from behind me in the far right number 1 Lane. I checked my speedometer and I was at the speed limit (65 mph) and moving with the flow of traffic.

As the said cruiser was approaching on my right, I assumed it would simply pass me at its current speed. No . . . The officer drove along side of me for a bit. My wife noticed this and asked me if I was speeding . . . duh!

The officer pulled away and changed into the number 3 lane on my right and slowed down. As we passed, I looked at the officer. After we had passed the cruiser, it dropped in right behind us. Needless to say, both my wife and I are starting to get a bit nervous. The officer stayed behind us for what seemed like an eternity. I started to laugh out loud. My wife asked me why I was laughing. I told her, that if pulled over, the officer would discover 2 upset middle aged Chinese adults in the car.

After a time, the officer switched back into the number 1 lane and paced behind us for a short time before pulling away for good.

To this day, I cannot say what exactly had happened. However, I have an idea. I'm sure that the officer was performing his duties, whatever that may or may not be. I'm not going to say it was harassment. I'm not going to say it was profiling. I will say that I did not and do not appreciate that sort of treatment.

That was a very minor event. Nonetheless, I felt like a criminal. I don't expect anyone to understand that.

I may be criticized for my next comment. I believe that if I were black, I would have been pulled over to the side.

I still retain a healthy respect for law enforcement. However, some things need to be tweaked a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies