Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There simply isn't any question about that one of the reasons we decided to turn many of our nation's police forces into paramilitary operations was an irrational fear of black men. You can see evidence of this sad record repeated throughout this nation's history. Right now some people are spreading the fear that young black men are engaging in an epidemic of violence. They are calling it the knockout game. Just like earlier reports of black teens wilding or black teens becoming super predators, it has no basis on statistical reality and everything to do with fear and hatred of black men.

Sadly, these kinds of false fear of black men stories resonate with a huge number of Americans and this fear and hatred is then used to crack down on crime. And to a huge percentage of Americans cracking down on crime means harassing and monitoring and controlling the movements and activities of black men.

This naturally leads to black men at all levels of law enforcement being much more likely to be stopped, which in turn produces more black men found breaking the law.

If you have a two sets of population with 10,000 each, and even if the criminal behavior of both sets of populations were equal, if systematically one of those population groups were stopped, harassed, questioned, detained, suspected, arrested, at a much higher clip than the other population, guess what is going to happen, you are going to find a lot more criminals in that group even though both groups are breaking the law at similar rates.

But of course, the skewed crime stats are then used to justify the skewed enforcement of the law on this one group that you know is more criminal. It is a vicious cycle that destroys the lives of many.

And it continues, here is one experience that nearly all black American men share during your teen years and young adulthood being stopped or harassed or questioned by the police over and over again because people and the police are afraid of you and see you as a threat.

I have had so many unpleasant and unnecessary run ins with law enforcement to last me many lifetimes.
It's good to hear from someone else who's concerned about the issue and has had some personal experiences. One of the most frustrating and infuriating things is for some to act like the situation doesn't exist, or even worse, to be ok with it.

If there was ever a focus on recording incidents of Civil Rights violations on black men, the list of accounts would probably total in the hundreds on a daily basis. I honestly don't believe that to be an exaggeration.

More and more Americans are just beginning to recognize what is going on. The digital age is helping to expose the widespread corruption and oppressive tactics used by the Police forces in this country. The issue is definitely coming to a head along with Police corruption/misconduct against all Americans, regardless of race.

Honestly, if the black community was ever to come together, the practice could be stopped. I do believe that day is coming again.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
There simply isn't any question about that one of the reasons we decided to turn many of our nation's poliSadly, these kinds of false fear of black men stories resonate with a huge number of Americans and this fear and hatred is then used to crack down on crime. And to a huge percentage of Americans cracking down on crime means harassing and monitoring and controlling the movements and activities of black men.

This naturally leads to black men at all levels of law enforcement being much more likely to be stopped, which in turn produces more black men found breaking the law.

If you have a two sets of population with 10,000 each, and even if the criminal behavior of both sets of populations were equal, if systematically one of those population groups were stopped, harassed, questioned, detained, suspected, arrested, at a much higher clip than the other population, guess what is going to happen, you are going to find a lot more criminals in that group even though both groups are breaking the law at similar rates.

But of course, the skewed crime stats are then used to justify the skewed enforcement of the law on this one group that you know is more criminal. It is a vicious cycle that destroys the lives of many.

There is one stat that cannot be skewed that easily. That is the homicide rate. Young black men are being killed (usually by other young black men) at a rate that, despite improvement in the last generation, is way too high.

We need to start by ending the drug war.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm going to assume that people are incarcerated for a reason, hope they stay there, and continue to be prepared to defend myself and my family from people like them.
You do understand that we STILL have some of the most violent neighborhoods in the world right? Even after these policies have been going strong for a few decades now.

Pure insanity on your part expecting the same tactic to produce different results.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There is one stat that cannot be skewed that easily. That is the homicide rate. Young black men are being killed (usually by other young black men) at a rate that, despite improvement in the last generation, is way too high.
I attribute that mostly to the War on Drugs and illegal drug trade. Same as when it was Italians, Irish, and other poor immigrants at the turn of the century and in the 30's.

In a lot of black communities you also have helplessness, despair, depression, and other issues going on that push people to the brink.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

We need to start by ending the drug war.
Yes, America is a violent nation. Far too many Americans are murdered. I agree, but there has to be perspective.

The number of black men who are violent murderers is MINISCULE. You are talking about far less than 1% of black men.

So that paltry number of black men can not explain why we want the police to treat nearly every black teen or young adult they come into contact with as a criminal.

No, America and many other Americans have a huge fear of black men. I remember when I went from cute kid to potential menace and the difference in my treatment from authority figures/the government/police.

This nation through its government officials in my opinion was letting me know I was seen as a threat a potential criminal and they aimed to control people who looked like me.

It was one big lesson in we don't you around, they didn't want me in their stores, in their neighborhoods, at their schools, driving, walking, running, etc and this nation uses the police to convey this message to young black men. You are not wanted here, we see you as a threat and will threat you as such.

We have to end those practices.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's good to hear from someone else who's concerned about the issue and has had some personal experiences. One of the most frustrating and infuriating things is for some to act like the situation doesn't exist, or even worse, to be ok with it.

If there was ever a focus on recording incidents of Civil Rights violations on black men, the list of accounts would probably total in the hundreds on a daily basis. I honestly don't believe that to be an exaggeration.

More and more Americans are just beginning to recognize what is going on. The digital age is helping to expose the widespread corruption and oppressive tactics used by the Police forces in this country. The issue is definitely coming to a head along with Police corruption/misconduct against all Americans, regardless of race.

Honestly, if the black community was ever to come together, the practice could be stopped. I do believe that day is coming again.
I am much less optimistic about it being stopped anytime soon. Far too many Americans are straight up terrified of the idea of black male violence.

This knockout game nonsense reached me through middle aged white co-workers who were saying that was "scary".

I had to point out the likelihood that middle aged white dudes would be around a group of black teens is nonexistent.

White dudes live in overwhelmingly white neighborhoods and they hang around other middle age white people. The idea that any of my co-workers would find themselves any where near a bunch of black teens is a fantasy.

I had to point that they'd have more chance of almost anything happening to them than some black teen punching them in the face.

Yet despite the near impossibility of it occuring and it being a fake story, these men were saying these stories were scary. This is what exists in America. Irrational fear of black men.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
I am much less optimistic about it being stopped anytime soon. Far too many Americans are straight up terrified of the idea of black male violence.

This knockout game nonsense reached me through middle aged white co-workers who were saying that was "scary".

I had to point out the likelihood that middle aged white dudes would be around a group of black teens is nonexistent.

White dudes live in overwhelmingly white neighborhoods and they hang around other middle age white people. The idea that any of my co-workers would find themselves any where near a bunch of black teens is a fantasy.

I had to point that they'd have more chance of almost anything happening to them than some black teen punching them in the face.

Yet despite the near impossibility of it occuring and it being a fake story, these men were saying these stories were scary. This is what exists in America. Irrational fear of black men.
Fake story my ass. lmao. The lengths you nuts try to go to is simply amazing. Now back to your pity party......

Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:

right. because middle aged white people NEVER take public transit, or go to a mall, or stroll through downtown areas.

never.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
right. because middle aged white people NEVER take public transit, or go to a mall, or stroll through downtown areas.

never.

Or black troublemakers never stroll through upper end neighborhoods looking for a score..NEVER!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Fake story my ass. lmao. The lengths you nuts try to go to is simply amazing. Now back to your pity party......
I should have explained myself more clearly. I should say the stories are real, some people were randomly attacked.

What is fake is the idea that it is an epidemic, that it is racial or that is a game. They have asked some of the perpetrators did you target white people, was this planned a game and no such trend exists.

That is the fake story aspect.

That this is a trend that this is a game that this is an epidemic are all false stories. And that we spread these kinds of stories because we have an irrational fear of black men.

What pity party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies