Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Sure, I could be angry at those who fulfill the stereotype, but then I also have to consider that Blacks have been viewed as inferior and have been treated as such from day one, so I can also be mad at those who apply those stereotypes to me.
At one point and time, every single race/ethnicity group has been treated and viewed as inferior to another. Sure there are truly racist, bigots, ignorant, backwards folks out there, but guess what, they come in all shapes and colors.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Are you walking around with sagging pants? If not then those stereotypes don't apply to you. People say they don't want to be harass by cops but if you choose to dress and act a certain way, your chances of getting harass are a lot higher. By your logic, if a woman walks by with a low cut shirt showing her cleavage off, and a mini skirt with high heels, the thought wouldn't cross you're mind that she's promiscuous or easy?
No, I don't walk around with saggy pants. And I deplore that kind of style. That being said, I've seen White males dress like that and not get followed around or profiled. As for the woman you speak of, maybe it's because I've seen it do much, but I can't assume anything. I have seen young women dress like that so much I can't really assume anything.

I've been profiled despite not wearing saggy pants.And it wasn't the police. It was a woman who worked at a bookstore. I got followed around in a store. There were White teenagers in the bookstore who were dressed like skateboarders. A few with saggy pants. However, it was me who got followed around in the store. And I was wearing a suit. My response to that: Never shop at that store. I don't care why they were following me around because at the end of the day, I was the one being followed around. I was the one who was singled out.

And something else. My father has been followed around and pulled over by the police multiple times. He wasn't wearing sagging pants and dressing like a rapper. This was a 40-something year-old man with a family that we are talking about. He even got followed by the police on his way to church, with children sitting in the car, and he was wearing a suit.

My point? Sometimes you can get profiled without "dressing the part". Sometimes skin color is all someone uses to work off of.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
At one point and time, every single race/ethnicity group has been treated and viewed as inferior to another. Sure there are truly racist, bigots, ignorant, backwards folks out there, but guess what, they come in all shapes and colors.
But for Blacks, it has been ongoing, from day one. And Blacks didn't even choose to come here.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
But for Blacks, it has been ongoing, from day one. And Blacks didn't even choose to come here.
Perhaps they should take it up with the other Blacks who brought them here.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Perhaps they should take it up with the other Blacks who brought them here.
If you study the slave trade closer, African tribes never referred to themselves as "Blacks" on a all-encompassing scale. The whole "they captured their own" is quite incorrect. I don't think someone who is Hausa would ever refer to a Fulani or a Wolof as "one of their own".

And further more, there were also slave raids done by some explorers who came from places like the UK and Portugal.

If Black Americans should take it up with those who sold them, they should also take it up with those from places like the UK, Portugal, Spain, and other places who brought them here. The African tribes didn't sail those ships.

My point is that for as long as Blacks have been here, they have been hated and looked down on.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Can you elaborate on this?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Maybe if blacks stopped committing crimes, the police wouldn't band us all together as the same.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,506 times
Quote:

My point? Sometimes you can get profiled without "dressing the part". Sometimes skin color is all someone uses to work off of.
Quote:
Quote:

My point is that for as long as Blacks have been here, they have been hated and looked down on.
When someone has this mindset, then anytime something happens to them or doesn't go in their favor, the race card gets thrown out. I've been followed by cops(or so I'm assumed I was being followed since they were behind me for awhile). I've been followed around or eyed in stores, probably because the stores I shopped at, the majority of their shoplifters were young females. Everyone has been unfairly judged, doesn't mean you need to walk around with a chip on your shoulder.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Maybe if blacks stopped committing crimes, the police wouldn't band us all together as the same.
This is my take on it

1) The persons who happen to be Black criminals aren't going to listen because they don't care what anyone has to say. Said persons think in terms of "I have nothing to lose". You can't stop someone from committing a crime unless you are literally right there to witness it. The best you can do is be yourself.

2) Blacks have never been allowed to just be individuals. Blacks have never really been judged as individuals. As some things change, some things don't change. Blacks have been subjected to very horrible treatment by the police going back long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies