Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 05:13 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,997 times

Advertisements

If blacks did not do most of the crime.... and so it goes

Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
If blacks did not do most of the crime.... and so it goes

But most Blacks are not committing crime. I'm the first person to say "you do the crime, you do the time". However, if a Black person isn't committing a crime, then said person should not be subjected to scrutiny. Said person has done nothing to be subjected to scrutiny/being treated like a suspect. For that reason, it would not be fair to that person.

Answer this for me. I am a law-abiding Black American. Since I have done nothing to warrant being treated like suspect, why should I put with being treated like a suspect? How does it help me? What benefit is it to me? I'm looking for a straight answer, something I can't seem to get.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Interesting article on racial profiling in a MI town.

Racial profiling study cited in sharp drop in traffic stops and tickets issued by Kalamazoo police | MLive.com

"While black motorists are more likely to be searched than whites in Kalamazoo, they are actually less likely than whites to be found carrying contraband, according to the study."

"This is an opportunity to police in a smarter, more legitimate and more effective way," Hadley said. "€œLet'€™s go after the right people for the right reasons ... I think any time when an organization has to acknowledge that they can do things better, the natural reaction is to be protective or defensive and there'€™s a certain expectation of leadership to go along with that thinking.

"€œI think that'™s the wrong way of thinking," he said. "If there'€™s something we can do better, let's do better."

"The policy, which the chief said he had hoped to have in place at the start of October, is modeled after one implemented in Austin, Texas, and requires officers to obtain supervisor approval and give articulable reasons for seeking consent to search an individual or their vehicle."

Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If that is the case, then why is a Black person pulled over first, given everything being equal? 50% of how you are perceived is how you look. Explain why some Africans I've known have experienced prejudice as well.
I will be the first to admit blacks are profiled by the police, I even have a friend who is a cop and black, he openly admits he even profiles blacks, so there must be something to it/reason for it. Underclass blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime, drug dealing and violent crime and obviously black on black. Perhaps this is the reason.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is still something to consider. Why should law-abiding Black people be made to pay for the stupidity of criminals who happen to be Black? What benefit is it to Black people who actually are obeying the law? If one is obeying the law, why should that person be subjected to more scrutiny than someone else based on race? How does it help that person?
It helps by eliminating that person as a suspect. True story... About 10 yrs ago, the mini mart across the street was robbed by an older white guy wearing a flannel shirt. Well guess what, I am an older guy who likes to wear flannel shirts. I was getting out of my car at home, unaware of what was going on, but noticed the commotion. I flagged down a cop who was going by and asked him what was going on, I noticed he looked at me suspiciously and wondered why. I laughed after he gave me a description of the perp, because I fit it somewhat, he asked me where I lived and I told him right here and pointed to my apt. He was satisfied I was not the person they were looking for. My point is, he was profiling and I had no problem what so ever, I would have done the same in his shoes.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What's the best way to keep someone out of gainful employment??

Label them a criminal.
I doubt very much that is the reason, Paranoid much?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
When it comes to raising revenue, harassment, and falsifying/planting evidence, its blacks and other minorities (blacks, poor people, hispanics, people with certain cars or who dress a certain way) who suffer the most. Statistics show the number of stops on people of color and other traits depending on area, are extremely disproportionate to the current majority (whites, upper middle class whites particularly).

Why should they be allowed to do this and is this the intended purpose of a government Police force to begin with?

Private Police forces can be maintained with much more transparency and due process.

We currently have the highest incarceration rate (per capita and raw numbers) in the world.

What are you going to do about it?
You aren't going to do sh*t about it because the main problem areas are urban and under complete democratic control. Since blacks and other minorities aren't generally going to vote republican you really have no voice...not that a republican could even win election in most of those areas.

Even the likes of Sharpton, Jackson etc. aren't really willing to take the issue head-on or they risk getting "Cindy Sheehanded" and become persona non-grata at things like the DNC. They might pick a specific case here and there but even Sharpton has gotten taken to the woodshed for getting too "uppity".

Here is an article by Mary Mitchell describing part of the problem...
Al Sharpton aims to raise profiles of local activists

That's why you get firestorms of protest over something like Trayvon Martin....because it's *safe* politically.

Taking on the urban bastions is NOT safe politically.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It helps by eliminating that person as a suspect. True story... About 10 yrs ago, the mini mart across the street was robbed by an older white guy wearing a flannel shirt. Well guess what, I am an older guy who likes to wear flannel shirts. I was getting out of my car at home, unaware of what was going on, but noticed the commotion. I flagged down a cop who was going by and asked him what was going on, I noticed he looked at me suspiciously and wondered why. I laughed after he gave me a description of the perp, because I fit it somewhat, he asked me where I lived and I told him right here and pointed to my apt. He was satisfied I was not the person they were looking for. My point is, he was profiling and I had no problem what so ever, I would have done the same in his shoes.
To be honest, I still don't care. I'm the one still having to pay for someone's stupidity. If someone else commits the crime, let them do the time and suffer for their stupidity. I'm not willing to suffer for them. I have a problem with profiling because of the history of this nation. I'm not talking about anyone else. I'm talking about the fact that Blacks have been hated from day one, and have been treated like crap from day one. I have a problem because what it really shows is that things haven't changed much. Or better yet, as some things change, some things don't change.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I will be the first to admit blacks are profiled by the police, I even have a friend who is a cop and black, he openly admits he even profiles blacks, so there must be something to it/reason for it. Underclass blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime, drug dealing and violent crime and obviously black on black. Perhaps this is the reason.
Underclass commits alot of crime. Regular Black people have nothing to do with the majority of this. I don't care what reason it is for, because at the end of the day, I pay for it, and I am the one who has to pay. On one hand, I could look at as "that's what happens when underclass Blacks misbehave". But then I also have to consider that Blacks as a whole have been hated and treated poorly for day one.

I've been profiled, and I didn't look anything like a "hood rat". And you know what? I vowed never to shop there ever again. I figure if I'm going to be singled out from the moment I get in, they deserve NONE of my money, period.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,872 times
Quote:

Did he say a certain type of black?

I love how whites always use "their black friend" as their way of saying "It must be true, my black friend said it was".

Really? Blacks can be just as unethical as whites. You do know that right?

Just because your "black friend" does it, doesn't make it right.

Whites are the most naive people that I have ever met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies