Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

Rob Portman (R-OH) may be vulnerable to a primary challenge since his son came out and he is sort of becoming freindly on the gay issue. So, with this vote, he probably now has the foamers on the Tea Party and Cultural Conservative right P.O at him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:08 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is a huge difference between doing something, and doing something really stupid. What just happened was dumb. They tried to bluff with a losing hand, when everyone knew their cards.

It has not been the principle for either side. It has been a talking point for conservatives, but they have always added onto the debt as opposed to reducing it.
They had to try. Obama are defunding or the very least, delaying was the goal. They gave the Dems every opportunity to fund the government with the exception of Ocare. To you and the media, that's perfectly fine for the Dems to refuse to fund, all for the sake of saving the disaster Obamacare, but its wrong to you if the GOP will fund gov but not Obamacare. Seems to me, logic and common sense shows the Dems were in the wrong and taken the gov hostage as you people like to put it.

Both sides have sucked. But you know as well as I do, Conservatives haven't been running the show for a long time. Bush was no Conservative, though even he tried to reign in Fanny/Freddie which Dems refused to do. But real Conservatives would've not given up and tried harder to reign them in along with crony capitalism.

Obama today has been doing some of the same things the GOP establishment did. Wall St benefits from crooked government and the middle class suffers, the country suffers. Yet you and the media not only support him, but take a break from bashing the GOP establishment to go after the only ones in DC who want to change things. The same establishment you use to have a problem with for doing the same crap the liberals are doing now.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
They had to try. Obama are defunding or the very least, delaying was the goal. They gave the Dems every opportunity to fund the government with the exception of Ocare. To you and the media, that's perfectly fine for the Dems to refuse to fund, all for the sake of saving the disaster Obamacare, but its wrong to you if the GOP will fund gov but not Obamacare. Seems to me, logic and common sense shows the Dems were in the wrong and taken the gov hostage as you people like to put it.

Both sides have sucked. But you know as well as I do, Conservatives haven't been running the show for a long time. Bush was no Conservative, though even he tried to reign in Fanny/Freddie which Dems refused to do. But real Conservatives would've not given up and tried harder to reign them in along with crony capitalism.

Obama today has been doing some of the same things the GOP establishment did. Wall St benefits from crooked government and the middle class suffers, the country suffers. Yet you and the media not only support him, but take a break from bashing the GOP establishment to go after the only ones in DC who want to change things. The same establishment you use to have a problem with for doing the same crap the liberals are doing now.
and we gave you every opportunity to fund the entire government without having to go down this road. Obama and the democrats made secret of the fact they weren't going to accept a CR that defunded obamacare, and yet the GOP still did it anyway. you were responsible for this shutdown, hell even some of your own people acknowledge this was a mistake.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I have never seen a hand played so poorly. That hand should not have been played at all, because it didn't have any chance of winning. They had a pair of threes against four aces. The end result is major damage to the GOP, which will probably lead to them losing the house, and most people do not want one party being in control of all branches.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The sane wing of the Senate GOP are heretics according to the alternative reality wing of the GOP which means means they must be voted out.

I look forward to 2014 and 2016 when we finally see the tea party rejected and delegated to a minority within a minority that only just foams at the mouth and stomps its feet with impotent rage.
You and others think {R}s are going to lose in droves and {D}s regain the House and I disagree. For one we will see the same results that we usually see and that is incumbents returned 92 too 95 % of the time. The second is 2016 is going to be a challenging year when millions can not afford Obamacare will lose their tax return to pay the fine. Do you think those poor folks are going to be breaking down doors to vote for a {D} ? Now most of the time Americans are patrons of short attention span theatre but not when it comes to their money.
Not to get off track I do agree with you on Simpson/Bowles, too bad there is not more of our so called leaders that think the same way.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
These are the GOP US Senators who voted along with all the Democrats last night. If you are a conservative don't let them lie to you about their conservative bonafides. Kick them out of office if they are running for re-election. Both of mine are there and they are "dead to me." (Note to the politically correct: Dead to me is an expression that as far as you are concerned, they are nowhere men. It does not imply actual death so don't go apes**t.) One of mine keeps advertising about how conservative he is. It's BS.

YEAs

Vote these GOP Senators out of office in your primaries:

Alexander (R-TN)
Ayotte (R-NH)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Chiesa (R-NJ)
Coats (R-IN)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Fischer (R-NE)
Flake (R-AZ)
Graham (R-SC)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Kirk (R-IL)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Portman (R-OH)
Thune (R-SD)
Wicker (R-MS)
I expected the list too look like this and the only name I am disappointed in is Jeff Flake.

This whole thing was a mess when the {R}s walked away with nothing after all that drama.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I expected the list too look like this and the only name I am disappointed in is Jeff Flake.

This whole thing was a mess when the {R}s walked away with nothing after all that drama.
Oh but Mitch McConnell got his $2 billion ear mark. At this point, id love to see him lose, even if its to a Democrat. These guys have to go.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Nobody in the GOP is conservative anymore. The Republican Party abandoned all conservative principles decades ago.

In the last half-century the only leader we've had from the GOP who was truly conservative in any way was George H.W. Bush, and he was marginal at best with regards to conservativism.

Most people think opposing reproductive choice and same sex marriage or endorsing the teaching of creationist nonsense in public school science classes and the like is a conservative stance. It's actually just the opposite.

The GOP is every bit as irresponsible and incompetent with money and resources as the Democrats, and every bit as intrusive and invasive into the private lives of citizens as the Democrats.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
its getting to a point, that by 2016, only about 10 people in this country will be considered true conservatives. based of the standards of the tea party.
It's probably less than that, actually. People don't care about finance or civics. I always get flashbacks to my civics class and how my civics teacher made it a point to not let people go to sleep. Each time he saw someone try to fall asleep, he stopped what he was doing and said, "Wake up!"

Nobody cares. Borrowed dime and borrowed time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Again, bovine excrement.

EVERYONE is for "cutting spending" until it directly affects them.

Face it, we're a nation of hypocrites.
It will effect everyone regardless, but because we never fixed anything or cut anything back, it's all going to crash at once.

Everyone's asleep.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Seems the righties are a bit miffed this morning as they didnt get their wish to bring the country down,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies