Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Nuh-unh! Bacteria haven't changed into camels and bats haven't changed into frogs, so there's your little theory of evolution shot down in flames right there!

Welcome to Evolution 101!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Er...I was being sarcastic.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
Evolution insists on natural selection, however I insist it is unnatural selection that has caused any change, of either the species or the act of another forcing the change . When life was precious ,men examined carefully the health of the female and her family history even before taking any interest in her. In a selfish pleasure based society, none of this is considdered any more .Most animals don't breed freely if there is not enough food and become very selective if they do breed at all ,and become less selective as well when there is an abundance of food they breed more freely. My own observations of wild life and my own chickens and rabbits . DNA is proof enough that men did not evolve from apes ,other wise there would be no conflict. K9 s we know are the same breed because they breed wolves and any other dog species. I think people have been tinkering with the cat species as well. Interference is not evolution . I would argue as well that God is not detached from creation as many men think, He didn't set it and forget it. I would think that it should take a great deal of dicipline NOT to interfere . Though on occasion I believe He does or allow's it. Things don't naturally change on their own.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Creationism has no place in schools? Isn't education about exploring all views?
Some people still have the view that the world is flat. Should we teach that one as well?

On another note, if you are going to teach religion in schools you should teach all religions. This would include not only Christianity, but Judaism, Islamic, Hinduism, Buddhism, Satanism, Paganism (both neo-Pagan Wiccan and old world Pagan) Atheism, Agnosticism and every other religious belief that may or may not be specifically represented in your demographic. To do otherwise only serves to further the agendas of religious zealots and intolerant bigots of the flavour that currently hold power in repressive Middle Eastern states, parts of Africa, inbred counties of the Deep South and the agendas of the American far-right political spectrum.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,736 times
It's common knowledge at this point that we share 98% of our genetic heritage with chimpanzees, and this seems to upset people. I wonder how they feel about the fact that we share something like 70% of our genes with pumpkins.

Some people make me think that figure's closer to 90%.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Nonsense. There is, for instance, the fact that there is mountains of evidence for evolutionary theory and exactly ZERO evidence for invisible supernatural deities like Yahweh, Thor, Zeus, Vishnu or Ra.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you prove with each of your posts that you really lack even the most basic grasp of evolutionary theory or understanding of science and its methodology.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you have no argument but do nothing aside from posting your opinions based on a very narrow and biased reliance on ancient holy texts comprised of allegory, myth and legend.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you have been presented with a number of facts that you are unwilling and unable to countenance due to your very weak and shallow faith, so you just dismiss them out of hand and pretend as if they haven't been presented to you.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you are unable to even acknowledge the arguments that have been made in this discussion, bury your head in the sand and say baseless nonsense like "all you guys have is calling people ignorant--that's no argument!"

And that's just for starters.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
If creationism was symbolic and not literal perhaps we could debate the issue on its meaning but trying to convince me some dude appeared and made the heavens and the Earth and put man on a planet to endure endless pain and suffering and in 6 days at that... the scenario just makes no sense, the evolution theory sounds much more plausible IMO..

Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If creationism was symbolic and not literal perhaps we could debate the issue on its meaning but trying to convince me some dude appeared and made the heavens and the Earth and put man on a planet to endure endless pain and suffering and in 6 days at that... the scenario just makes no sense, the evolution theory sounds much more plausible IMO..
Well, evolution is at least an actual scientific theory unlike creationism in any of its forms which is completely devoid of any science whatsoever.

Whether or not there is a god or a whole host of gods and whether this god or some particular god is responsible for our "creation" is simply beyond what any human knows.

We DO, however, know that evolution actually occurs.

The fact that evolution takes place doesn't preclude the idea that there may, ultimately, be some kind of god(s) or creator(s) but this lack of certain knowledge of deities in no way impacts the fact that evolution is real and not a myth.

IF there is a god or gods/creator or creators, then for whatever reason, it or they have seen fit to utilize evolution as a means of allowing for the growth and development of the creatures here.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Nonsense. There is, for instance, the fact that there is mountains of evidence for evolutionary theory and exactly ZERO evidence for invisible supernatural deities like Yahweh, Thor, Zeus, Vishnu or Ra.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you prove with each of your posts that you really lack even the most basic grasp of evolutionary theory or understanding of science and its methodology.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you have no argument but do nothing aside from posting your opinions based on a very narrow and biased reliance on ancient holy texts comprised of allegory, myth and legend.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you have been presented with a number of facts that you are unwilling and unable to countenance due to your very weak and shallow faith, so you just dismiss them out of hand and pretend as if they haven't been presented to you.

There is the clearly demonstrable argument that you are unable to even acknowledge the arguments that have been made in this discussion, bury your head in the sand and say baseless nonsense like "all you guys have is calling people ignorant--that's no argument!"

And that's just for starters.
You just did it again. You need to understand that attacking the poster does nothing but reveal the fact that you have no argument.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:46 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The lack of proof supporting evolution theory supports the Creation theory.
Except that is not true. There is plenty of scientific evidence supporting the theory. The problem is people reject the scientific method when it supports scientific conclusions they do not like, and they accept it when it supports the ones they do like.... such as you sitting at a keyboard making this post which science made possible.

The only way to selectively reject the scientific conclusion of Evolution by Natural Selection is to equally selectively reject the methodology of science itself. You do not accept one without the other, or reject one without the other, without looking desperate.

Quote:
Even Darwin admitted there was a huge hole in his theory.
Except no, no he didn't. But by all means feel free to paste one of those cherry picked quotes you creationists tend to use where you paste one sentence but do not paste the sentence that came after it. Quote mining is really the last vestige of the damned.

EDIT: Having read on later in the thread I find that that is EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID end up doing. For shame sir, for shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsumCement View Post
You would think, finding the missing link, would have been big news.
Except in Evolution theory there is no "missing link". The term "missing link" is a propaganda phrase, empty and meaningless, invented by creationists to dispose of a theory they are spiritually appalled by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Creationism has no place in schools? Isn't education about exploring all views?
No. Which is why we do not have an alchemy period in schools following the chemistry period. Or an astrology period after the astro physics one.

Education Curriculum are about presenting the positions that we... at this time.... have the most reason to think true. Along with the reasons we have reached that conclusion.

As there is quite literally no arguments, evidence, data, or reasoning supporting the notion that there is a god.... this is not a position we should be teaching. We teach facts. Not "views". Quite simply my position would be that anything unsubstantiated be kept entirely out of our education system.

Quote:
Evolution has not been proven
That entirely depends on whether you are using the vernacular or scientific meaning of the word "proven".

In the scientific sense... yes it has. Very much so. Often, and repeatedly.

In the vernacular sense... not it has not. But nor has ANYTHING else in science. Because THAT is not how science works. At all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
For those of you so dearly believe in Evolution... Explain to me how the glycolysis cycle was accidentally created. There's no way to 'increment' to it. Remove ANY facet of it, and life ceases.
Nice assertion. Care to back it up at all? You might start by telling me what you think this "cycle" is because you appear to have gotten even the name wrong, let along the rest of your "facts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolution is real, verifiable, and testable?
Yes. On all counts. But you will first have to learn how we test things in science and then verify them. I am worried this might not be a tool you are aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
One more time with feeling......
And next time with 4 part harmony and feeling.

Man I hope we are both quoting the same singer or the above will make no sense to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is why all my future children are going to be in private schools. Liberals have no f--king place and right to try and tell me what to teach my children.
Actually yes they do. This is a democracy. As such they have as much right to tell you this as anyone else on the street. Perhaps a reschooling in how democracy works would benefit you?

But political leanings are beside the point. We send our kids to school to teach them what we as a society have the most evidence and reason to think is true. NOT what their parents sitting at home would like to think is true.

And like it or not on THAT score it is EVOLUTION 1 - Creationism 0.

But by all means do not let facts get in the way of your attempt to derail another thread into a right v left political propaganda thread. Thankfully us Europeans see right through that tactic every time.

Quote:
If the evolution theories were true, the viruses would be camels with eagle wings and gills by now.
I am not sure what "Evolution" you have been taught but since the ACTUAL Theory claims nothing even remotely similar to the nonsense you just posted.... I think you have done little more here than prove you have no idea what the theory you loath with such vitriol actually claims.

In fact if the guff you just posted did turn out to be true it WOULD prove evolution false. Look up the phrase "Rabbits in the Cambrian" for an example of this.

I seriously respect and DEFEND your right to disagree with any scientific theory. But it would be a joy.... and not to mention polite and gentlemanly.... if you would take some time out of your hectic life to learn what the theory of evolution ACTUALLY CLAIMS before you presume to deride it. If for nothing else but to prevent yourself from looking silly.

[quote=FloridaPirate355;31874869to believe in Evolution blindly takes a lot of faith, a lot more faith than a belief in God.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

So isnt is lucky we do no such thing? But we accept it in the face of the evidence, argument, data and reasoning that supports it?

Quote:
Yes, you can be educated and not believe evolution nonsense.
Yes you can. In fact one of... if not THE.... greatest minds our species ever produced.... Sir Isaac Newton.... beleived in ALL kinds of nonsense. Seriously silly nonsense.

Education and Intelligence does not protect you from silly ideas any more than great diet and physic protects you from catching the common cold. It makes you less LIKELY to catch it... but you are still liable to catch it all the same.

The difference as always is... reason. Whether you catch the religion meme virus or not.... the simple fact remains that the claim Evolution occured is a highly substantiated claim. Maybe it is true. Maybe it is false. But it is HIGHLY substantiated.

The claim there is a god however... is not. At all. Not even a little.

The difference is not subtle. Or small.

Quote:
A firm faith in God is what made everything possible for my family from the very beginning coming to the U.S. and having made huge strides like we have. And that's not my word. That's theirs.
A shame you would spout such nonsense because it sound like hard work, intelligence, and committment got you where you and your family are.

If you want to ascribe credit to that to an unsubstantiated meme then so be it. Worship that meme all you like. But perhaps you should drop such crass baseless sentiment and give yourself and your ancestors the credit they are due for what they achieved.

But no, of course religion teaches that pride is a sin. Why? Because the religion virus NEEDS you to credit such things to IT rather than to the actual source. Otherwise it could not perpetuate itself. Religion teaches pride in your own achievements is a sin precisely so you will keep ascribing such achievements to IT rather than the actual source.

Evidence that natural selection is not just limited to the biological world. But to the memetic one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies