Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There was no ark, no global flood, and probably no Noah.
I certainly don't believe in The Flood story as recounted in the Old Testament. It is a lovely myth, but certainly lacking in historicity.

However, there are enough flood stories from the ancient world (Epic of Gilgamesh being just one) that I don't have any trouble believing there was some seriously catastrophic flooding in that region at some point.

Obviously that doesn't mean I believe the Noah story as factual, or believe the entire planet was washed away save for one man's family and his boat full of critters. That's a fairy tale. But I believe a very destructive flood may well have occurred.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Joke of the day.
“Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.”
― Isaac Asimov

Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I certainly don't believe in The Flood story as recounted in the Old Testament. It is a lovely myth, but certainly lacking in historicity.

However, there are enough flood stories from the ancient world (Epic of Gilgamesh being just one) that I don't have any trouble believing there was some seriously catastrophic flooding in that region at some point.

Obviously that doesn't mean I believe the Noah story as factual, or believe the entire planet was washed away save for one man's family and his boat full of critters. That's a fairy tale. But I believe a very destructive flood may well have occurred.
I knew that, and you are correct that there have been many destructive floods throughout history, and there will be many more, since people almost always build their cities near water.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes. If people studied how a cell divides using the DNA code etc they would realize how complex even the simplest things are, while evolution assumes these things just came out of nowhere.
They think non-believers are simple-minded.....

Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Who created your God?
Would you have the b*lls to go to the Middle East and ask this?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Would you have the b*lls to go to the Middle East and ask this?
???
What does that have to do with anything? Is the Middle East on the Texas Board of Education?
Talk about off-topic!!

Old 10-19-2013, 06:55 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What's wrong with Americans? Creationism has no place in schools and governments!!!!!!!!!!!

Don McLeroy Claims The Theory of Evolution Disproves Itself - YouTube
He's entitled to his opinions, are we now a society that disparages people who speak their opinions? Please submit a list of public opinions that are allowed in the USA so we can all comply with your views.

Are there no other people on the school board? Do the town's citizens and board members not have a say in whether this guys even remains a school board member, much less whether his opinions are blindly inserted into the curriculum?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He's entitled to his opinions, are we now a society that disparages people who speak their opinions? Please submit a list of public opinions that are allowed in the USA so we can all comply with your views.

Are there no other people on the school board? Do the town's citizens and board members not have a say in whether this guys even remains a school board member, much less whether his opinions are blindly inserted into the curriculum?
You have a perfect right to express your opinions, but opinions are not facts and should not be taught as such.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
???
What does that have to do with anything? Is the Middle East on the Texas Board of Education?
Talk about off-topic!!
Yeah you're correct it was off topic......I should have said Dearborn, MI. Mainly, because people make dumb comments toward Christians and seem to leave everyone else's gods out of it.

Kind of like being chicken little!

Too bad our schools don't just stick to teaching, the 3 R's. This whole religious thing in schools is going to open a whole new can of worms when all religions decide to participate.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
“Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.”
― Isaac Asimov
Sounds like he was talking about evolutionists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies