Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And I have asked this question multiple times....how does something evolve that was never created?

I am not a fundamentalist by any means....I believe that the earth is 4 billion years old. I believe that the universe is about 14 billion years old. I believe in evolution, otherwise, how did things become what they are today?

What started the process?

Did it simply "pop" into existence or is there a grand designer that created everything we see?

I don't think it's unconstitutional to discuss creationism in science class....as long as the Christian fundamentalist version (that the earth is only 6,000 years old) isn't taught.

Something brought about creation.....it deserves to be discussed and can be without being "religious".
That was a great non-answer. Nicely done!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That was a great non-answer. Nicely done!
In other words, you don't want to answer with "You're right!"

Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM

724 posts, read 593,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Unfortunately calling people ignorant is the ONLY 'argument' you have, which is why you keep repeating it.
Oh I don't think there is much of an argument. Everyone agrees but you.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
The teaching of evolution by country:

Australia: many Australian scientists take an aggressive stance supporting the right of teachers to teach the theory of evolution, unhindered by religious restrictions.

Brazil: In Brazil, teaching of creationism in scientific education classes is forbidden by Ministerio da Educação e Cultura - MEC - (Ministry of Education and Culture)

Council of Europe: On October 4, 2007, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe adopted its resolution 1580 titled The dangers of creationism in education.

Denmark: it is an objective of the discipline biology in primary school that the education must enable the pupils to relate to values and conflicts of interest connected with issues with a biological content.

Netherlands: In the Netherlands some factions teach creationism in their own schools. In May 2005, a discussion on Intelligent Design erupted when education minister Maria van der Hoeven suggested that debate about Intelligent Design might encourage discourse between the country's various religious parties. She sought to "stimulate an academic debate" on the subject. Following strong objection from the nation's scientists,[38] she dropped plans of holding a conference on the matter.[10] After the 2007 elections, she was succeeded by Ronald Plasterk, described as a "molecular geneticist, staunch atheist and opponent of intelligent design"

Norway: In 1986, the then minister of education Kjell Magne Bondevik proposed new education plans for the elementary and middle school levels which included skepticism to the theory of evolution and would hold that a final answer to the origin of mankind was unknown. The proposal was withdrawn after it had generated controversy

Poland: Minister of Education Roman Giertych, has stated that the theory of evolution would continue to be taught in Polish schools, "as long as most scientists in our country say that it is the right theory."

Serbia: In Serbia the teaching of evolution was suspended for one week in 2004, under education minister Ljiljana Čolić, only allowing schools to reintroduce evolution into the curriculum if they also taught creationism.[42] "After a deluge of protest from scientists, teachers and opposition parties" says the BBC report, Čolić's deputy made the statement, "I have come here to confirm Charles Darwin is still alive" and announced that the decision was reversed.

Pakistan: In 2006, the Pakistan Academy of Sciences became a signatory of the InterAcademy Panel Statement on "The teaching of evolution".

Romania: In 1998, Ioan Moisin, a Christian Democratic senator and a Greek Catholic priest, called upon Romania's Ministry of Education to establish a commission of Catholics who would revise biology textbooks and philosophical textbooks to not contradict Biblical creationism. Romania's Parliamanet and Ministry of Education never seriously considered the proposals.

Russia: The position of the Russian Ministry of Education supports the theory of evolution.

Turkey: In Turkey, a mostly Islamic country, evolution is often a controversial subject. Evolution was added to the school curriculum shortly after the Turkish Revolution of the 1920s and 30s.

United Kingdom: the teaching of evolution is compulsory in publicly funded schools. For instance, the National Curriculum for England requires that students at Key Stage 4 (14-16) be taught: that the fossil record is evidence for evolution how variation and selection may lead to evolution or to extinction.

Then there is the United States: In the United States, creationists and proponents of evolution are engaged in a long-standing battle over the legal status of creation and evolution in the public school science classroom.

Creation and evolution in public education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Excellent 'argument'

Keep them coming. You guys are on fire
It is impossible to have a debate with someone who has their intellectual heels dug into the ground of ignorance.

They all provided you with valid information which you discarded. If you want a meaningful discussion on the topic, read the information provided and then come back to discuss. Otherwise, it is of no use to debate with you. You refuse to entertain facts.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I had a somewhat intense discussion with a young earth creationist a few years back who refused to believe that our sun is a star.

She kept saying "Yeah, but our Sun is the Sun! The stars are stars!"

Absolutely would not countenance the fact that those stars out there are suns as well and that our sun is a star, like them. Strange. I'm not even sure why this particular piece of knowledge would be a threat to the faith of even a young earth creationist aside from the fact that biblical literalists/fundamentalists obviously have the most weak, shallow, rigid and brittle faith of all.
The only problem with biblical literalists and stars is the ability to see distant stars which are very distant. The light of these stars travel at the speed of light which indicate they are very far away and very old. The Hubble telescope can view stars that are so far away that the light emitted by them, reaching the Hubble telescope, is over a billion years old Older than the earth which is problematic as the creation story indicates that the earth was created before the stars.

Quote:
The "Hubble Deep Field" is a 10-day time exposure made by the Hubble Space Telescope. Almost every object in this image is a distant galaxy, seen as it was in the past - at times up to 10 billion years ago. It is from images such as this that we can unravel the history of the universe and determine its age.
ASP: An Ancient Universe - The Age of Light from the Most Distant Galaxies

Genesis 1:14-16 14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

Last edited by jojajn; 10-20-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM

724 posts, read 593,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
It is impossible to have a debate with someone who has their intellectual heels dug into the ground of ignorance.

They all provided you with valid information which you discarded. If you want a meaningful discussion on the topic, read the information provided and then come back to discuss. Otherwise, it is of no use to debate with you. You refuse to entertain facts.
I don't know why I even try sometimes, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
Frustrating at best. It is like trying to convince the Taliban that women should have equal rights.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
You have tried, I'll give you that much, You have presented your very best argument that people who do not agree with you are ignorant, but somehow that "argument" has failed to persuade me that evolution exists,

Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The teaching of evolution by country:

Australia: many Australian scientists take an aggressive stance supporting the right of teachers to teach the theory of evolution, unhindered by religious restrictions.

Brazil: In Brazil, teaching of creationism in scientific education classes is forbidden by Ministerio da Educação e Cultura - MEC - (Ministry of Education and Culture)

Council of Europe: On October 4, 2007, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe adopted its resolution 1580 titled The dangers of creationism in education.

Denmark: it is an objective of the discipline biology in primary school that the education must enable the pupils to relate to values and conflicts of interest connected with issues with a biological content.

Netherlands: In the Netherlands some factions teach creationism in their own schools. In May 2005, a discussion on Intelligent Design erupted when education minister Maria van der Hoeven suggested that debate about Intelligent Design might encourage discourse between the country's various religious parties. She sought to "stimulate an academic debate" on the subject. Following strong objection from the nation's scientists,[38] she dropped plans of holding a conference on the matter.[10] After the 2007 elections, she was succeeded by Ronald Plasterk, described as a "molecular geneticist, staunch atheist and opponent of intelligent design"

Norway: In 1986, the then minister of education Kjell Magne Bondevik proposed new education plans for the elementary and middle school levels which included skepticism to the theory of evolution and would hold that a final answer to the origin of mankind was unknown. The proposal was withdrawn after it had generated controversy

Poland: Minister of Education Roman Giertych, has stated that the theory of evolution would continue to be taught in Polish schools, "as long as most scientists in our country say that it is the right theory."

Serbia: In Serbia the teaching of evolution was suspended for one week in 2004, under education minister Ljiljana Čolić, only allowing schools to reintroduce evolution into the curriculum if they also taught creationism.[42] "After a deluge of protest from scientists, teachers and opposition parties" says the BBC report, Čolić's deputy made the statement, "I have come here to confirm Charles Darwin is still alive" and announced that the decision was reversed.

Pakistan: In 2006, the Pakistan Academy of Sciences became a signatory of the InterAcademy Panel Statement on "The teaching of evolution".

Romania: In 1998, Ioan Moisin, a Christian Democratic senator and a Greek Catholic priest, called upon Romania's Ministry of Education to establish a commission of Catholics who would revise biology textbooks and philosophical textbooks to not contradict Biblical creationism. Romania's Parliamanet and Ministry of Education never seriously considered the proposals.

Russia: The position of the Russian Ministry of Education supports the theory of evolution.

Turkey: In Turkey, a mostly Islamic country, evolution is often a controversial subject. Evolution was added to the school curriculum shortly after the Turkish Revolution of the 1920s and 30s.

United Kingdom: the teaching of evolution is compulsory in publicly funded schools. For instance, the National Curriculum for England requires that students at Key Stage 4 (14-16) be taught: that the fossil record is evidence for evolution how variation and selection may lead to evolution or to extinction.
So many countries........ This MUST mean evolution is true It's the MISSING LINK!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies