Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM

215 posts, read 297,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is because of the nature of the enrollment process, I think the holiday and snow issues will be swept up. One day could be the issue here.
It will take more than one day to fix the mess.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
I think this is a fun exercise...one of my favorite professors used to make us do this so I figure it may be of interest to some.

What do you dislike most about your side of the political aisle?

I consider myself very liberal, but I HATE overly PC people and race-baiters. The "PC" police thing that liberals often go for just kills me. I am probably one of the least PC people that you'd ever meet and I'm pretty much never offended. People often throw out that the GOP and Tea Party are racists because the policies they espouse. I don't believe that for a second and to me it's a cop-out to say so.

Well...that's what I hate about my side.

Any other takers?
Yup. Me, too.
I have always been a moderate to conservative liberal, as fiscally conservative as most of my conservative friends are. My rural roots are out in the open and easy to see.

I don't have a misogynist bone in my body, but every once in a while, some lib lady says I do, and I'm often blunt in my speech, which sometimes offends the PC double-speakers.

I was one of relatively few to speak out against intervening in Syria early on, and got whacked pretty hard by both Dems and Repubs for it. There's still plenty of jingoism to go around, even after 2 failed wars, on both sides.

Republicans aren't very aware of the real radical left. They tend to lump all liberals at the far end of the scale, but the reality is much different. While the Democrats don't have a Tea Party equivalent, we have our extremists, and I argue with them just as much as I do with conservatives.

Neither party lacks those whose thoughts are too extreme for good governance. i don't cut any more slack for a Democrat than a Republican when it comes to this, and both can be really annoying to me.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,417,712 times
...said the democrat operative posing as a regular poster?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,375,421 times
That is a good point of what a sacred cow the military is to the {R}s and a huge problem for our country. The {R} party is good at putting themselves in a box and getting trapped by the box. It is good to have principles but sometimes in reality you have to look at the landscape. The country is dam near equally divided and thus half the countries principles are different from yours.

When you and your leaders are in the principle box you leave no room for horse trading and compromise. Look at us we have a partisan congress that can hardly get anything worthwhile done and has a 13% approval rating. Why don't we see deals where the {R}s give in to 100 billion in military cuts for a 100 billion in cuts in other programs?

Or how about 100 billion in cuts and in exchange for the 2.5% tax increase that Obama is chomping at the bit for? Oh that's right they took somewhat of a pledge and put themselves in a box.

I have a lot of principle in fiscal matters and if it was let up to me I would attack the budget like Jason with a axe. But in reality it is not going to happened like that and how long will it be when the {R}s have the majority and the POTUS? Maybe never. There has to be some deals made and the sacred cows need to face the chopping block.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,262 times
I've been trying to use the website, because my wife's insurance is being cancelled at the end of the year thanks to the ACA and I need to find a replacement plan. The one we were moved to had 300% higher out of pocket costs than the one we previously had.

The experience has been horrible. Right now I'm trying to log in and it's not working. I've experienced time outs, 404 pages, broken form fields, pages that don't finish loading, one time I was sent to a timeout page in Spanish for some reason, another time I reached a rep on chat and he couldn't answer a simple question and pawned me off to phone support. Just now I received this error "We have a lot of visitors on our site right now and we're working to make your experience here better. Please try to login after sometime. Thanks for your patience!"

Three weeks after the launch and they don't have the site stabilized. A site they had YEARS to build. A site they poured HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars into. This is the epitome of government ineptitude. They've spent more on this site than LinkedIn and Spotify have combined, and LinkedIn is one of the most trafficked sites on the Internet (#6 in the United States).

This website was supposed to be this magical place where we could all quickly and easily sign up for healthcare. It's turned out to be a disaster. Pelosi must have designed the site, because you have to sign up before you can even browse the available plans. I design websites and can tell you how horribly planned and implemented this site is -- and bringing in a tech surge will only cause MORE problems, because the new people will inevitably break code the old team wrote.

Only 30 people from Wyoming have signed up through the website so far. It also registered 40,000 innocent people as SEX OFFENDERS by accident.

It's currently ranked 276th on the Alexa charts, just a few spots behind infowars.com. It's getting less visitors than Alex Jone's crazy conspiracy site and it can't handle the traffic. Anyone arguing that this website isn't a huge disaster is deluded. It will eventually get better, but there's no excuse for how horrible the implementation of the core component of the ACA has been, and speaks leagues to the incompetence of those in charge of putting this in place.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As opposed to the Democrats who think their election is a mandate to establish more entitlements for more people???
That's a very broad brush you just swung. Most liberals are not any more eager to hand out entitlements willy-nilly as conservatives are.

But if entitlements are to be handed out, I much prefer to hand them to those who need them and not the ultra wealthy who get most of them. More than anything, I believe the middle class needs them the most right now.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM

63 posts, read 47,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're pretty clueless aren't you? Judging from this post, and the OP, absolutely.
In what regard?

Medicare Part D had rollout issues that we're resolved. Rollouts are tenious in any capacity. I'm apart of the design team at my work and we rolled out an internal claims management program that was riddled with issues that our QA couldn't pick up until it was live, but we had workaround so that people could still function.

The ACA has workarounds as well. The sign-ups can still be completed via PDF and via phone signups.

I think that one of us is clueless...but it isn't me.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,376,685 times
Quote:
I'm not paid a dime by anyone with exception to my employer. However, I do find it irritating that you mouthbreathers suck down the preverbial froth that spews forth from the stubby end of fox news' appendage.

The healthcare law isn't a website...it is simply a tool. A tool that will be fixed. A tool that is having problems because of it's massive volume of users.

No where except in GOP land is something a failure and "destined to fail" when it is so popular that it's servers can't manage the traffic.
Calm down, have a sip of koolaid.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,623,117 times
People like Sen Conyers who have nothing constructive to say about gridlock except that Congress is just playing " kick the can down the road". If I have to hear that lame expression or "asleep at the switch" in the next decade to minimize the corruption and criminality in D.C. it will be too soon.

The manufactured drama and do-nothing attitudes on both sides

Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
In what regard?

Medicare Part D had rollout issues that we're resolved. Rollouts are tenious in any capacity. I'm apart of the design team at my work and we rolled out an internal claims management program that was riddled with issues that our QA couldn't pick up until it was live, but we had workaround so that people could still function.

The ACA has workarounds as well. The sign-ups can still be completed via PDF and via phone signups.

I think that one of us is clueless...but it isn't me.
The issue is Medicare isn't a mandate. You don't have to get Medicare, you elect to get it. If you elect not to get health insurance, you get taxed for it. The primary system (or tool as you put it) for enrolling was meant to be the website. The website is failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies