Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Katy said the insurance companies couldn't make even minor changes to existing insurance policies if they wanted to grandfather them in.

The President isn't forcing insurance companies to choose to cancel policies rather than grandfather them in. The insurance companies even could make minor changes to those grandfathered policies. It is the INSURANCE companies that are choosing to cancel them.

And it matters because you are blaming the President for the choices made by insurance company management. The President isn't sitting in on the insurance companies' meetings where they are CHOOSING to cancel people's coverage. The President doesn't get to vote at their board meetings.

I can understand anger over the ACA. It's not a law I particularly like, either. I've said over and over that it fails to address the real problems. I don't think most Americans even understand the real problem of our out-of-control healthcare costs.

But in terms of insurance companies cancelling people's coverage. That's a choice that insurance companies are making. They have the luxury of blaming the ACA, but the ACA allows the insurance companies to grandfather in existing policies. The insurance companies are CHOOSING not to. And they are accountable for that choice.
Do you know ANYTHING any the law? You once again can NOT grandfather in NEW contracts that are illegal.. If you had a 25 year contract, then THOSE policies would be grandfathered in, but clearly most dont..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, a handful of indidividuals wrote the law, who had ties to the insurance industry.. The insurance industry didnt have some big meeting where they discussed writing the law to the benefit of the consumer or the citizens.. You should be smart enough to know that those involved, would have written the law, that would have made it more difficult for the COMPETITION, you know, the ones who didnt help write the law, to compete.. thus you end up with millions of policies being cancelled by insurance companies who had nothign to do with writing the bill.
Oh, please. Insurance companies have big meetings with their lobbyists. Who are paid by insurance companies to advocate for the insurance companies. Not for consumers. Not for citizens. For corporate insurance companies. And those lobbyists contributed heavily to the law as it was written. They didn't write the law to benefit XYZ Insurance company over PR Insurance company. They wrote the law to benefit the INSURANCE industry.

You end up with millions of policies being cancelled by insurance companies who paid into those lobbyists' coffers. To think otherwise is simply naive.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
Your arguments are like bridge logic. If I am driving my car and the bridge over a river is out, you would tell me that my choice would be to turn around or drive through the river. That's my choice.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Oh, please. Insurance companies have big meetings with their lobbyists. Who are paid by insurance companies to advocate for the insurance companies. Not for consumers. Not for citizens. For corporate insurance companies. And those lobbyists contributed heavily to the law as it was written. They didn't write the law to benefit XYZ Insurance company over PR Insurance company. They wrote the law to benefit the INSURANCE industry.

You end up with millions of policies being cancelled by insurance companies who paid into those lobbyists' coffers. To think otherwise is simply naive.
So you dont think those insurance companies that offer things like maternity leave, decided that maternity leave should be MANDATED, in order to crowd out competition by those who didnt offer it?How nieve can you be?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM

468 posts, read 1,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
you seem to be shocked that that people are being drop form their coverage? Did you foresee this? Show that you were posting warnings of this prior to roll out.people didint know of this until roll out.
The "people who didn't know of this until roll out" is EXACTLY the point. Those people BELIEVED what they were being told. Because the truth was being withheld by the people who were doing the telling.However, the people who were DOING the telling were LYING. And, this is all coming to light now.Good grief, Chim. Don't you get it?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:

I partially agree with you. The insurance lobbyists helped with this bill to help the large insurance companies (e.g. the ones with the power, money, and lobbyists). Sure, the insurance companies are complicit. Why? The Democrats passed a bill that allowed them to gouge the American public and then Obama helped sell this plan by lying. There's always the option that Obama and the Dems didn't anticipate this rather easily predicted move by the insurance companies. If that were the case, then Obama and the Dems are pretty darn incompetent. So incompetent or liars - Obama and the Dems are one of the two. Which one is it?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you know ANYTHING any the law? You once again can NOT grandfather in NEW contracts that are illegal.. If you had a 25 year contract, then THOSE policies would be grandfathered in, but clearly most dont..
And the policies are what get grandfathered in. Not the contracts. The policies. All the insurance companies have to do is show that the policy is essentially the same. As far as I know, everyone renews their contract with the insurance company annually. I renew my contract for my auto insurance every year. My policy is unchanged, except for small amendments the insurance company includes with the policy. The coverage is the same, the requirements are the same. The rate changes, as the car ages, and as the insurance company deems the risk in the place where I live and drive changes. But the policy hasn't changed.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
yea, it appears that the left found their talking points. Of course it is to blame someone else. Who would have guessed.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
The "people who didn't know of this until roll out" is EXACTLY the point. Those people BELIEVED what they were being told. Because the truth was being withheld by the people who were doing the telling.However, the people who were DOING the telling were LYING. And, this is all coming to light now.Good grief, Chim. Don't you get it?
Chim Chim has already stated that they were expected to lie, so they could do this, and that was the expected behavior and outcome.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
yea, it appears that the left found their talking points. Of course it is to blame someone else. Who would have guessed.
Took them a few days. Although, even IF we accepted this new version of reality they are pushing (e.g. it's all the insurance companies fault), it means that Obama and the Dems are saying they are completely incompetent in their inability to recognize this eventuality which even the IRS recognized several years ago. They're either liars or totally incompetent. I suspect a combination of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies