Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And your problem with these requirements?

I mean, looking at them, they are pretty reasonable to me.
Who cares if they are reasonable to you.

None of it should be FORCED UPON YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
Thank you pnwmdk. THAT's the rub.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
I would want single-payer. Because the problem is health-care costs that are out of control, and a single-payer system gives that system leverage to control costs. And because the baby boomers are now of an age where their growing dependence on healthcare is going to bankrupt our country if we don't have some mechanisms to control costs. Americans pay more for healthcare than any other country because some of what we pay subsidizes healthcare for the rest of the world. We can't afford to do that. And the current structure doesn't allow us to stop it. If we had time to work in a hundred different strategies to control costs, that would be great. But the baby boomers are a bomb ticking in our economy. We can't afford to have healthcare consume a majority chunk of our economy with uncontrolled costs. We need a diverse economy, and the other industries need to have resources from that economy. Part of the reason for off-shoring is because healthcare is consuming so much of our economy and its resources. To reverse that direction, we have to rein in healthcare.
I used to want single-payer too, but not with this government. Just how do you think they will leverage to control costs? An unelected, bureaucratic body will decide what is covered and what isn't covered. At least there are remedies if a private insurance company tries to deny coverage. What remedies do you have against the government?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Katy said the insurance companies couldn't make even minor changes to existing insurance policies if they wanted to grandfather them in.

The President isn't forcing insurance companies to choose to cancel policies rather than grandfather them in. The insurance companies even could make minor changes to those grandfathered policies. It is the INSURANCE companies that are choosing to cancel them.

And it matters because you are blaming the President for the choices made by insurance company management. The President isn't sitting in on the insurance companies' meetings where they are CHOOSING to cancel people's coverage. The President doesn't get to vote at their board meetings.

I can understand anger over the ACA. It's not a law I particularly like, either. I've said over and over that it fails to address the real problems. I don't think most Americans even understand the real problem of our out-of-control healthcare costs.

But in terms of insurance companies cancelling people's coverage. That's a choice that insurance companies are making. They have the luxury of blaming the ACA, but the ACA allows the insurance companies to grandfather in existing policies. The insurance companies are CHOOSING not to. And they are accountable for that choice.
The reason they are having to cancel the policies is they do not meet ACA standards. whose fault is the ACA? President and democrats

Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Are you saying liberal voters are gullible and believe their own liars?
Liberal voters don't care about anything as long as THEY are in power. You don't have to accomplish anything. Just stay in office and keep anyone else out even if it is against their best interests.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I used to want single-payer too, but not with this government. Just how do you think they will leverage to control costs? An unelected, bureaucratic body will decide what is covered and what isn't covered. At least there are remedies if a private insurance company tries to deny coverage. What remedies do you have against the government?
We already have a single-payer system in this country that is popular and controls costs better than private insurance. It's called Medicare. Why not expand it for everyone?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Do you surrender your intellect to the court, or do you just hope that you don't have to have this conversation by ducking the whole thing and pointing at the court system going "it's their baby!"
I already told Informed Consent how I would interpret the law. I certainly didn't "surrender" my intellect. I'm just pointing out to Informed that the court's opinion will determine the law, his/her opinion won't.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Who cares if they are reasonable to you.

None of it should be FORCED UPON YOU.
Are they unreasonable to you?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
The memo that this thread cites, from the IRS, outlines how insurance companies could grandfather in the existing policies. Any outrage toward those companies who chose to cancel and offer more expensive policies instead?
You can't go to a buffet for $12.95 and then demand that the resturant owner include unlimited mixed drinks and then expect them to stay in business for long.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
We already have a single-payer system in this country that is popular and controls costs better than private insurance. It's called Medicare. Why not expand it for everyone?
How many times do you need to be told that Medicare, contracts out their services to that very private industry you are bashing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies