Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
We already have a single-payer system in this country that is popular and controls costs better than private insurance. It's called Medicare. Why not expand it for everyone?
That so few doctors take because of the absurdly low reimbursement rates. Yes, by all means, lets expand something that requires you to have supplemental insurance if you actually want to see a doctor. I don't get this meme that Medicare is so great. It's pretty much an overly expensive program via our taxes to pay for lack of access to a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Liberal voters don't care about anything as long as THEY are in power. You don't have to accomplish anything. Just stay in office and keep anyone else out even if it is against their best interests.
I say that about conservative voters. We see it all the time in red states that have the poorest people in the nation, who vote for Republicans, who lower taxes on the richest Americans and cut programs for everyone else. I can't think of a better example of voting against your own interests -- regular Americans who vote for the Republican Party, who are less likely to protect their safety, less likely to protect their jobs, and less likely to benefit them economically.

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I used to want single-payer too, but not with this government. Just how do you think they will leverage to control costs? An unelected, bureaucratic body will decide what is covered and what isn't covered. At least there are remedies if a private insurance company tries to deny coverage. What remedies do you have against the government?
Trust me when I say---very wealthy insurance companies through the years have hired teams of in house lawyers and powerful lawfirms to do exactly that--to find ways to deny coverage. And they are very good at it. That is one reason we are in a pickle with the delivery of health care today.

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Do the Obama chant with me:

Obama, Hey You.
How many more did you lie to?
Obama, Hey You
How many more did you lie to?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Are they unreasonable to you?
Once again, NOT THE DISCUSSION..

The discussion is WHY the policies are being cancelled, vs grandfathered.. I answered your question..

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You can't go to a buffet for $12.95 and then demand that the resturant owner include unlimited mixed drinks and then expect them to stay in business for long.
That's not what happened.

The requirements weren't onerous.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I say that about conservative voters. We see it all the time in red states that have the poorest people in the nation, who vote for Republicans, who lower taxes on the richest Americans and cut programs for everyone else. I can't think of a better example of voting against your own interests -- regular Americans who vote for the Republican Party, who are less likely to protect their safety, less likely to protect their jobs, and less likely to benefit them economically.
I know Democrats cannot understand that not everyone is looking out solely for themselves but yes, it does happen. There are actually people out there that would prefer less government in their lives over having government become their nanny. I am happy that my state votes consistently Republican and happy that I am able to have a thriving business in my state due to their very business friendly environment. I suspect my employees are pretty happy about that too.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That so few doctors take because of the absurdly low reimbursement rates. Yes, by all means, lets expand something that requires you to have supplemental insurance if you actually want to see a doctor. I don't get this meme that Medicare is so great. It's pretty much an overly expensive program via our taxes to pay for lack of access to a doctor.
Really?

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/op...ents.html?_r=0
Now a new analysis by experts at the Department of Health and Human Services should demolish that mythology for good.

The analysts looked at seven years of federal survey data and found that doctors are not fleeing Medicare in droves; in fact, the percentage of doctors accepting new Medicare patients actually rose to 90.7 percent in 2012 from 87.9 percent in 2005. They are not shunning Medicare patients for better-paying private patients, either; the percentage of doctors accepting new Medicare patients in recent years was slightly higher than the percentage accepting new privately insured patients.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's not what happened.

The requirements weren't onerous.
Then why are the prices going up? And dont dare say profits, because we all know those are capped..

Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, a handful of indidividuals wrote the law, who had ties to the insurance industry.. The insurance industry didnt have some big meeting where they discussed writing the law to the benefit of the consumer or the citizens.. You should be smart enough to know that those involved, would have written the law, that would have made it more difficult for the COMPETITION, you know, the ones who didnt help write the law, to compete.. thus you end up with millions of policies being cancelled by insurance companies who had nothign to do with writing the bill.
They are called LOBBYISTS. You know, the people that Barry said would be BANNED from his administration. Another lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies