Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You forgot their very profitable technology sector. Bay Area with all their "California-ness" is still home to the world's most educated and talented workforce, not to mention the largest group of venture capitalists on the planet. Some economic sectors rely on a high standard of living.
They can't be too educated. They keep sending Nancy Pelosi to Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
San Francisco is also ridiculously expensive. Kind of an important point there.
Housing is expensive. But the price of a Big Mac in San Francisco is no different than the price of a Big Mac in LA.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Housing is expensive. But the price of a Big Mac in San Francisco is no different than the price of a Big Mac in LA.
I can't verify if that is accurate or not but per this cost of living calculator, groceries at 14% less expensive in Los Angeles and a 50K salary in San Fran would be equivalent to a 39K salary in Los Angeles.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
They can't be too educated. They keep sending Nancy Pelosi to Congress.
Very insightful retort......

So I guess you agree with everything I said. Fantastic.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
I'm not sure if the affects could be too catastrophic on a local level for the simple fact that companies will still need to be able to compete with businesses outside SeaTac borders therefore raising their wages too drastically would effectively hurt them, but nonetheless if this were to put on a national level things would be a lot different. The question I have for small business owners and corporations that are against minimum wage is what would you pay your wages without minimum wage? I'm scared to hear $2 an hour, or some other "race to the bottom" type of number, but I know some businesses would pay well regardless of the minimum wage.

What is the worse burden on businesses anyways, regulation, taxes, or wages? Whatever is considered the largest burden needs to be addressed.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I can't verify if that is accurate or not but per this cost of living calculator, groceries at 14% less expensive in Los Angeles and a 50K salary in San Fran would be equivalent to a 39K salary in Los Angeles.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
could be many different factors. For instance San Francisco is much smaller and densely populated with many more desirable places to live compared to Los Angeles which is much bigger with more areas of poverty.

But the reality is even with San Francisco's higher minimum wage businesses are still thriving. You aren't seeing businesses leave SF. There are still plenty of Taco Bell's and Mickey D's.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I'm not sure if the affects could be too catastrophic on a local level for the simple fact that companies will still need to be able to compete with businesses outside SeaTac borders therefore raising their wages too drastically would effectively hurt them, but nonetheless if this were to put on a national level things would be a lot different. The question I have for small business owners and corporations that are against minimum wage is what would you pay your wages without minimum wage? I'm scared to hear $2 an hour, or some other "race to the bottom" type of number, but I know some businesses would pay well regardless of the minimum wage.

What is the worse burden on businesses anyways, regulation, taxes, or wages? Whatever is considered the largest burden needs to be addressed.
we kind of already know what big business would do with less labor regulations. We only have to look to the trend of hiring workers as contractors instead of employees. If you hire someone as a contractor instead of an employee they aren't guaranteed overtime pay by law. They are paid much lower wages than the industry standard and they don't receive vacation pay.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How the hell is a small sandwich shop going to
face an increase in costs of $90,000...Assuming he is now paying the minimum of $9.19 the added cost to reach $15.00 adds up to 17,275 man hours, at 40 hours a week that would require him to have 45 employees...I call bogus on this guy.

I have no idea why anyone would object to a minimum of $15...At a wage that low every cent will go back into the economy, plus it may get some off assistance, which need I remind you, that you pay for with taxes.
$6 an hour plus $1.20 in payroll taxes is $7.2 an hour x 2080 hours is about $15k per employee or 6 employees. I call bogus on your knowledge of math and running a business.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Why are these tyrants dictating what a business owner can charge? Let the market AKA customers decide what the prices are.
In an ideal world...

Price fixing is nothing new....I don't see any reason to complain about it now. But in conjunction with a measure like raising the wage floor makes it very clear what is slowly happening here.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What about the employees who were already worth $15 an hour?
At an airport, I doubt it. I would bet that that amount was a catch all for a number of different type of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies