Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Who is supposed to set the "living wage" you're blabbing about.

Gertrude, I think we have a real, live communist!
You do know that a minimum living wage is calculated on the cost of living of each area. It would actually be very easy to set a minimum living wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good for Sea-Tac. I am sure we will see small increases in prices at the airport, but at least the employees will be making a better living wage than they were before.
Why do you hate all of the people that will lose their jobs, businesses, or see their hours slashed?

Shame on the fools in SeaTac who voted for this stupidity.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Your using of the word forced doesn't make it the same as this example. They chose to raise wages due to the market conditions. Yeah, that's pretty much the Republican argument you're making there for how wages are increased. Good to know you agree with Republicans.

Now, at SeaTac, the owners have NO say so in this increased cost of business. The local gov't is forcing this upon them - there is no choice involved. Shoot, the employees basically voted themselves a pay raise. See, that's what force actually looks like.
No, it's like I said...they were FORCED to do so or go out of business because their competitors would most definitely raise the wages. It's no coincidence that they didn't close their operations but instead decided to hike wages in order to remain in that market.

I already made it Crystal frickin clear that west Texas isn't exactly the template for Seattle. That's three times I've said it. However, it does prove that many of these fast food spots and other service industry jobs can bear the wage hikes if they have to and can do it with apparent ease. That doesn't mean that I'm taking the Republican position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
They've already moved some of their operations down here to our neck of the woods. Oh and they FREAKED out. We had union members spamming our local newspaper's comments for weeks on end. To say they were nasty was an understatement.
Don't be too impressed with yourselves. Boeing can only move so much of their operations to your area. The simple stuff basically. You guys don't have enough of a highly educated workforce for much of the work beyond maybe some simple assembly and janitorial work.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Washington gets away with it because they have eastern Washington and Boeing to produce things. However, they have legislated the cost of living into the stratosphere. Eventually, Boeing will give up and move, and Seattle will turn into a ghost town.
This isn't 1970s Seattle anymore, the Seattle Metro has a diverse economy that isn't reliant any one industry like it use to be.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You do realize the town of Sea-Tac is basically an airport with a few neighborhoods around it. The people who will see the benefit of this almost all work at the airport.
Wrong.

There is a lot around the airport. Watch Pac Hwy south return to the prostitutes as businesses along it will flee to Tukwila, Kent, and Des Moines and other cities without idiot voters.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why do you hate all of the people that will lose their jobs, businesses, or see their hours slashed?

You don't know if that's gonna happen. It's just wishful thinking on your part. You want people to lose their jobs so you can make a political point.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:

And when that doesn't happen, you will find some other false thing to freak out about.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Wrong.

There is a lot around the airport. Watch Pac Hwy south return to the prostitutes as businesses along it will flee to Tukwila, Kent, and Des Moines and other cities without idiot voters.
Almost all the jobs in Sea-Tac are in the airport, there is almost no other commercial space in the entire town which is barely larger than the airport.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
$6 an hour plus $1.20 in payroll taxes is $7.2 an hour x 2080 hours is about $15k per employee or 6 employees. I call bogus on your knowledge of math and running a business.
Minimum wage in Washington state is currently $9.19 an hour. So the $6/hour figure you use is incorrect. Not sure what the fully loaded rate would be based on unemployment insurance and worker's comp. But let's say it's around 2% as a guesstimate. That would be a fully loaded rate of $9.37. At 2080 hours, that is an annualized cost to the employer of $19,489.60 at current minimum wage rates for one FTE.

Now, let's bump it up to the new rate of $15/hr. Add the 2% and you have a fully loaded rate of $15.30. At 2080 hours, that is an annualized cost of $31,824.

This is a delta of $12,334.40. If this employer has a modest six employees per your example, that's a $74,006.40 increase in labor costs. Typical profit margin for a small limited service restaurant is approximately 6%[1]. Now, knowing this, do you genuinely believe the restaurant can remain profitable with this type of labor cost increase and not increase prices significantly?

[1] The Average Profit Margin for a Restaurant | Chron.com

Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, it's like I said...they were FORCED to do so or go out of business because their competitors would most definitely raise the wages. It's no coincidence that they didn't close their operations but instead decided to hike wages in order to remain in that market.

I already made it Crystal frickin clear that west Texas isn't exactly the template for Seattle. That's three times I've said it. However, it does prove that many of these fast food spots and other service industry jobs can bear the wage hikes if they have to and can do it with apparent ease. That doesn't mean that I'm taking the Republican position.

Don't be too impressed with yourselves. Boeing can only move so much of their operations to your area. The simple stuff basically. You guys don't have enough of a highly educated workforce for much of the work beyond maybe some simple assembly and janitorial work.
Oh to be so wrong in so many ways. The wages were increased in Texas because of market forces (e.g. greater demand for employees than supply). You are right, it wasn't a good example to use for the Seattle situation because it's exactly what Republicans have been talking about. When the market forces are there, wages rise. Legislation is not necessary to do so. I can see why you would be upset for proving our point.

Charleston assembles one of Boeing's lines - try reading the news once in a while (they have engineers here too - a bit more than 'janitorial). We're also in the top 15% in the country for having a population with advanced degrees. I give credit where it's due though - Seattle is as well. Of course, we don't have unions but still have high quality of life in our city. I imagine it had something to do with it when Boeing moved their Dreamliner line down here. To just go ahead and beat the dead horse. We have one of the top high schools (top ten) in the country in Charleston. We're consistently voted #1 city for a variety of things - from great place to live to being friendly. If you want to pick on a city, try a different one than Charleston because flat out, you'll lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies