Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:06 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Flu vaccine this year gave me generalized joint pain for 3 weeks.

Think people can be over zealous w this stuff.

Flu vaccine this year gave me a sore arm for about eight hours.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,348,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I doubt you could find ONE death that could be documented to have been from vaccine.

I have worked in vaccine administration and policy for most of my 40+ years in nursing, minus a few years in hospital nursing and a couple years out to raise a family. I've been a nurse since 1970. I have learned a few things about the anti-vax movement. I simply do not respond to totally outrageous statements like "vaccines don't really prevent disease", "deaths due to (insert name of disease here) were already declining when the vaccine was introduced", "vaccines actually cause/caused disease rates to go up", etc. I will try to explain a little about epidemiology if the person doesn't seem hopelessly caught up in the antivax mantra.
I too have been a nurse since 1975. Not quite
as long but...
I had measles mumps and rubella. So did my
9 siblings, all without residual effects. Luck?

We did however get polio and small pox vaccines. Never knew anyone with polio growing up. Probably because of the vaccine. That's great!

On the other hand, this years flu vaccine caused me to have very uncomfortable side effects for 2-3 weeks.
Mask wearing here I come next year will refuse vaccine.. Never get the flu anyway. Rcvd vacc 4 or 5 x's in my life. So why the fuss. Know we're in for an epidemic
but feel kpc, c-diff, vre, mrsac...are more to
be concerned with.

WASH your hands everyone!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
As GuyNTexas said earlier, knowing something exclusive of its eco-context may quite likely be knowing something less than nothing.
Think you may be referencing what I stated, which was that targeting a pathogen without a good understanding of the ecology or system model is very limited.

Calling it a "war on germs" doesn't seem off the mark though. Seems the approach of choice for many things.

We are still learning much about complex interactions in intelligent and dynamic system models. The ongoing information of just how important intestinal health is alone is staggering.
Key Player in the Genesis of Human Intestinal Immunity Identified
quote:
Specialized immune structures in the intestines, referred to as gut-associated lymphoid tissues, or GALT, are critical components of intestinal immune function.

Natural Intestinal Flora Strengthen Immune System

quote:
Signals from natural intestinal bacteria are necessary for an effective immune response to various viral or bacterial germs. This was the result of experiments by a research team led by Prof. Dr. Andreas Diefenbach and Stephanie Ganal at the Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene of the Freiburg University Medical Center.

We are also still learning much about how these systems evolved and function.

Last universal common ancestor more complex than previously ...
quote:
Scientists call it LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor, but they don't know much about this great-grandparent of all living things. Many believe LUCA was little more than a crude assemblage of molecular parts, a chemical soup out of which evolution gradually constructed more complex forms. Some scientists still debate whether it was even a cell. New evidence suggests that LUCA was a sophisticated organism after all, with a complex structure recognizable as a cell, researchers report. Their study appears in the journal Biology Direct.

Remember, that "junk DNA"?
ENCODE Project Writes Eulogy for Junk DNA - Science
quote:
A decade-long project, the Encyclopedia of DNA Elements (ENCODE), has found that 80% of the human genome serves some purpose, biochemically speaking. Beyond defining proteins, the DNA bases highlighted by ENCODE specify landing spots for proteins that influence gene activity, strands of RNA with myriad roles, or simply places where chemical modifications serve to silence stretches of our chromosomes.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Think you may be referencing what I stated, which was that targeting a pathogen without a good understanding of the ecology or system model is very limited.

Calling it a "war on germs" doesn't seem off the mark though. Seems the approach of choice for many things.

We are still learning much about complex interactions in intelligent and dynamic system models. The ongoing information of just how important intestinal health is alone is staggering.
Key Player in the Genesis of Human Intestinal Immunity Identified
quote:
Specialized immune structures in the intestines, referred to as gut-associated lymphoid tissues, or GALT, are critical components of intestinal immune function.

Natural Intestinal Flora Strengthen Immune System

quote:
Signals from natural intestinal bacteria are necessary for an effective immune response to various viral or bacterial germs. This was the result of experiments by a research team led by Prof. Dr. Andreas Diefenbach and Stephanie Ganal at the Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene of the Freiburg University Medical Center.

We are also still learning much about how these systems evolved and function.

Last universal common ancestor more complex than previously ...
quote:
Scientists call it LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor, but they don't know much about this great-grandparent of all living things. Many believe LUCA was little more than a crude assemblage of molecular parts, a chemical soup out of which evolution gradually constructed more complex forms. Some scientists still debate whether it was even a cell. New evidence suggests that LUCA was a sophisticated organism after all, with a complex structure recognizable as a cell, researchers report. Their study appears in the journal Biology Direct.

Remember, that "junk DNA"?
ENCODE Project Writes Eulogy for Junk DNA - Science
quote:
A decade-long project, the Encyclopedia of DNA Elements (ENCODE), has found that 80% of the human genome serves some purpose, biochemically speaking. Beyond defining proteins, the DNA bases highlighted by ENCODE specify landing spots for proteins that influence gene activity, strands of RNA with myriad roles, or simply places where chemical modifications serve to silence stretches of our chromosomes.
Sorry about mixquoting you.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Sorry about mixquoting you.
How very appropriate. LOL.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
I too have been a nurse since 1975. Not quite
as long but...
I had measles mumps and rubella. So did my
9 siblings, all without residual effects. Luck?

We did however get polio and small pox vaccines. Never knew anyone with polio growing up. Probably because of the vaccine. That's great!

On the other hand, this years flu vaccine caused me to have very uncomfortable side effects for 2-3 weeks.
Mask wearing here I come next year will refuse vaccine.. Never get the flu anyway. Rcvd vacc 4 or 5 x's in my life. So why the fuss. Know we're in for an epidemic
but feel kpc, c-diff, vre, mrsac...are more to
be concerned with.

WASH your hands everyone!
To answer your question-yes, it was luck of the draw. Actually, the main side effects with rubella are in the fetuses of pregnant women. I have a friend, age ~ 60, whose mother had rubella during pregnancy and she has multiple limb deformities. Most kids recover from all three of those diseases w/o any permanent sequelae, however, not everyone is so lucky. I, too, had all three of those, plus chickenpox. One time while getting my hearing tested, the test showed a mild hearing loss which the tech said was probably from measles, as everyone got measles at that time.
CDC - Measles: Complications

I can't tell you what happened with your flu shot. You should probably talk to your PCP.

You're way more likely to get flu than those others, even if you work in a hospital.

@CDusr-Despite all you've been posting, we know that immunizations work, empirically.
Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Some Misconceptions
See measles graph.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
To answer your question-yes, it was luck of the draw. Actually, the main side effects with rubella are in the fetuses of pregnant women. I have a friend, age ~ 60, whose mother had rubella during pregnancy and she has multiple limb deformities. Most kids recover from all three of those diseases w/o any permanent sequelae, however, not everyone is so lucky. I, too, had all three of those, plus chickenpox. One time while getting my hearing tested, the test showed a mild hearing loss which the tech said was probably from measles, as everyone got measles at that time.
CDC - Measles: Complications

I can't tell you what happened with your flu shot. You should probably talk to your PCP.

You're way more likely to get flu than those others, even if you work in a hospital.

@CDusr-Despite all you've been posting, we know that immunizations work, empirically.

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Some Misconceptions
See measles graph.
Nothing I posted related to vaccine tracking or effectiveness. So not sure what you think you are referencing.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Nothing I posted related to vaccine tracking or effectiveness. So not sure what you think you are referencing.
Just the thread topic.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33
Due to vaccination, the US has had 0 cases of polio and 0 Americans have been paralyzed by polio since 1979.
That may be but HOW MANY PEOPLE SINCE 1979 HAVE HAD OTHER ISSUES THAT REQUIRED BIG PHARMA TO '''HELP THEM''' GET OVER IT?? (Probably many) -- THEY KNOW IT CAN CAUSE OTHER ISSUES WITH PEOPLE LATER IN LIFE THUS GIVING THEM $$$$$$$$ -- THIS IS A BIG PHARMA SCAM!! (Fooling people into a 'SHORT TERM' deal that can have 'LONG TERM' EFFECTS!!!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452
I might believe them if they provided some real evidence like the CDC or WHO provide.
Well the CDC,etc isnt gonna be honest about it!! (Nothing Mainstream will tell you anything but BS about vaccines)

Full interview with former vaccine developer: www.vaclib.org/basic/manu.htm

Last edited by Dude111; 12-02-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Just the thread topic.
No you were interpreting "all my posting", whatever that is, which you apparently didn't read at all. Your summation of empirical evidence of vaccine tracking IS NOT the thread topic, much less your summation of someone else's "all inclusive" posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.