Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I personally think too much emphasis is put on standardized testing. Even though I take issue with a lot going on in our educational system. Improving on these tests really IMO do not give the whole picture regarding education in any of the countries sampled.

I did look further into the PISA website and it did state that both private and public schools are included in the sample. But it did not break out what percentage of private or public schools are used in each sample country so for all intents and purposes, this test could be utilizing the private school results from other countries versus American and other countries' public schools (ps: I am aware that private schools are rare in some European countries, especially in Finland, which rates very high on these test and I believe that is due to their standardization of education there moreso than tracking). But China in particular has a lot of private "international" schools as do other Asian nations, like Vietnam. I have a former classmate who is an international school teacher in Vietnam right now. I cannot imagine Vietnam not utilizing a larger pool of their "international" school students versus public. Whereas I can see the opposite occurring here in the US. Like I stated earlier, I do think that the western/first world countries are better at educating students than this country, in particular European countries and Canada.

I am not all that familiar with TMSS either and I also don't remember taking a TMSS tests.

I will do some digging on them another time. My son's school also has not taken a TMSS test. He is in 6th grade and we are made aware of all the testing they do. In the past they have done the CRCT, ITBS, NWEA/MAP, and some sort of IQ test and another that a university created that I can't remember the name of.
Many are reluctant to take PISA seriously especially since the US is falling every three years.
But globalism is real and those countries that perform are going to get the R&D money and the technical work.

Reading, Science and Math are the key content areas business is most interested in.
You can't stay competitive when you're #65 saying "But we're different".

Ireland for example went from #33 to #20 and they were in the throws of severe austerity measures so education didn't get any big injections of cash.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,510 times
We lose 13% because of poverty. It is difficult to study and excel when you're food-insecure.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Maybe we should consider outsourcing to Asia instead of India. Yes globalism certainly shows no signs of slowing. Lots of money to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Lot to like about traditional apprenticeships. Certainly sounds better than outsourcing/offshoring "education" to India. The devil is always in the details as the saying goes.
CORE: Making Children Stupider Around The World | Stop Common Core Illinois
quote:
“CORE is India’s largest global education company with presence in US, UK, India, Singapore, Middle East, Hong Kong, Africa and the Caribbean”

The global agenda of the 21st century is set around economy and trade, with manufacturing shifting from the west to the east, employment landscape would immensely change at both ends. In order to sustain their economic growth, developed as well as developing economies need to intensify their human capital formation. Not surprising then, nations across the world are increasingly investing in education for continued development of their human capital, quantitatively as well as qualitatively…
Furthering its growth plans in India, it is aiming to set up Model Schools under Public Private Partnership model, participate in School Development Programs, intensify Teacher Training programs, and operate Vocational and Skill-based training centers.
For year 2009, the global spending on education was USD 3.93 trillion with US contributing just over a third of it at USD 1.33 trillion. Globally K-12 continues to be the largest segment forming close to half of the total education spend, followed by the higher education that is just over a third of the total market.
Core continued its strong growth momentum, in spite of global slowdown. During the financial year, the company’s revenue grew by an impressive 50.1% to `16,379 million ($16.3 billion)

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Less 'racist' and more 'price-ist'. Finland pays for their citizens to go to college; we do not. No one in the USA (with a few exceptions) will pay an extra $20-40 Thousand dollars to get a Masters/Doctorate if they don't absolutely need one.

You want teachers to have Masters degrees? Start telling your Congress to fund college degrees...but you won't.
Most public school requirements I have seen for certification require ongoing education and monetary incentives for Masters. (Can debate whether you think the incentive is adequate.)

Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
We lose 13% because of poverty. It is difficult to study and excel when you're food-insecure.
That's our excuse..they were hungry ?

We sent 6000+ poor hungry 15 year olds to take the PISA ?
And this is with breakfast served in school every morning ?

Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Alot has to do with parenting, culture, unions.

Culture is widely overlooked imo. American brats, due to culture and poor parenting, know all about their favorite celebs and are allowed and encouraged to obsess with sports, games, gossip, etc. Poor priorities set and allowed by Hollywood and parents.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,532,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
When I was accepted to my almater I got in with a 3.3 gpa. Today a freshman class at my alma mater has an average gpa of 3.95! Also today SAT prep and AP courses are more commonplace in school. All the squawking about how dumb kids are today but all I see is that they are more burdened than ever before.
Grade creep. 4.0 is the new 3.0

Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Alot has to do with parenting, culture, unions.

Culture is widely overlooked imo. American brats, due to culture and poor parenting, know all about their favorite celebs and are allowed and encouraged to obsess with sports, games, gossip, etc. Poor priorities set and allowed by Hollywood and parents.
As the mother of an 'American Brat' who cares nothing about sports, does play WoW, gets all A's in college and will graduate early...I'd say you are wildly generalizing without evidence.

Unions? What the heck does that have to do with anything?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Most public school requirements I have seen for certification require ongoing education and monetary incentives for Masters. (Can debate whether you think the incentive is adequate.)
You still usually have to pay for housing, food, books, etc. Yes, many people get incentives, esp. in high-demand fields, but you also much consider the cost of lost wages. Many of these highly intelligent, highly motivated people could go right into the work force at $30K or more but they sacrifice that to get a higher degree (meaning higher earnings later). If they are going full-time, that's easily foregoing a min. of $60K over 2 years.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's our excuse..they were hungry ?

We sent 6000+ poor hungry 15 year olds to take the PISA ?
And this is with breakfast served in school every morning ?
The PISA is merely the culmination of one year's testing. If a child misses classes due to family issues or is less attentive due to hunger or home-worries, that will be evident later, don't you think?

Our food-insecure youth go to school every day...and no, many of them do not get served breakfast 'every morning'...thanks in part to hard-hearted right wingers. There is no school breakfast over the holidays or summer-time. Those missed meals matter too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies