Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 10:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I tip about 20% too, but I doubt that most tipped employees would favor a minimum. After all the real minimum, as with the minimum wage, would be zero. I'm setting up a poll to see if I can find out, though, so stay tuned.
Everyone I know in the service industry would be happy if everyone tipped at least 18% there are too many people who tip very little or nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Everyone I know in the service industry would be happy if everyone tipped at least 18% there are too many people who tip very little or nothing at all.
Guess what lifer if the min wage goes up the tips go down and folks who work in restraunts and the like can't cheat on their taxes anymore. Big thank you to you liberals who think you are making everybody's life better but in reality they want you to leave us all alone. Go away. Go to NY and pass your nonsense. Leave the rest of the country out of it. Just leave us alone. Why can't you do that???

Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Guess what lifer if the min wage goes up the tips go down and folks who work in restraunts and the like can't cheat on their taxes anymore. Big thank you to you liberals who think you are making everybody's life better but in reality they want you to leave us all alone. Go away. Go to NY and pass your nonsense. Leave the rest of the country out of it. Just leave us alone. Why can't you do that???
Again, that is a false statement which is typical from you, but the amount one gets tips doesn't really vary from states that have a high minimum wage for servers and states that have a below minimum wage for servers. So either you didn't know that or you are lying because it doesn't fit with your false statement.

Very mature of you to tell me to go away because you don't like to work with others. If that is the case, why don't you go away because you lack the understanding of how the minimum wage works in this country and think people should be paid below minimum wage.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
I think folks should be paid below min wage??????????? You show me where I ever said that you liar. Now you are pulling sheet out of your butt because you can't refute my comments. I never said anything of the sort. If I did you show me............and yes I grew up across the border from Missouri............the show me state so I'm owed one.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Minimum wage doesn't increase housing prices, nor does it reduce them. Minimum wage isn't even tied to housing prices.

The government doesn't tell developers how many apartments they can build
, the market and speculation of the market tells developers how many apartments they can build.

????? Are you freaking serious? Ever read a zoning code? Almost all local governments in the US have restrictions on how many apartments or houses can be built. Here is one example, a request to rezone a land parcel from 6 apartments per acre to 9 apartments per acre:

Z-13-00249
: Consider a request to rezone approx
imately 16.06 acres located at 3309 W
st
St from RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) Di
strict to RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential)
District to revise the condition which limits ma
ximum density to 6 dwelling units per acre to 9
dwelling units per acre. Submitted by Grob Engine
ering Services, for Kansas District of the
Wesleyan Church, property owner of record.

http://www.lawrenceks.org/assets/pds..._Item5B&5C.pdf

Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I think folks should be paid below min wage??????????? You show me where I ever said that you liar. Now you are pulling sheet out of your butt because you can't refute my comments. I never said anything of the sort. If I did you show me............and yes I grew up across the border from Missouri............the show me state so I'm owed one.
You don't have to say it, why get rid of the minimum wage if you don't want people to be paid below minimum wage? You obviously aren't advocating people be more, you are just hiding it behind allowing an employer to pay an employee what they are "worth" which if you think that should be at or above minimum wage then we don't need to get rid of it, but that isn't the case, you think an employer should be able to pay below minimum wage.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
????? Are you freaking serious? Ever read a zoning code? Almost all local governments in the US have restrictions on how many apartments or houses can be built. Here is one example, a request to rezone a land parcel from 6 apartments per acre to 9 apartments per acre:

Z-13-00249
: Consider a request to rezone approx
imately 16.06 acres located at 3309 W
st
St from RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) Di
strict to RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential)
District to revise the condition which limits ma
ximum density to 6 dwelling units per acre to 9
dwelling units per acre. Submitted by Grob Engine
ering Services, for Kansas District of the
Wesleyan Church, property owner of record.

http://www.lawrenceks.org/assets/pds..._Item5B&5C.pdf
Not the same, no a developer can't build a 70 story tower in the middle of a light residential area of single family homes, they can build as many new apartments they want or can justify throughout several lots.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,382 times
The issue with tips and wages for servers is a complex one. Many servers do not get paid even the $7.25/hr that is minimum wage. Then they are taxed on a presumed minimum of tips whether or not they received those tips in actuality. Plus charges for breakages and if someone walks out on their bill.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
You make no sense at all. NONE. Hey tell my why the min wage shouldn't be fifty bucks an hour? Tell me why that is wrong? Hey why not right? You folks think you know everything how bout a hundred bucks an hour. Now tell my how that would work? I will await your nonsense.............
KUchief, this sort of response is the nonsensical response that I get over and over on this topic. Whats funny is that people who should know better make this argument, and its such a horrible argument that none other then Jon Stewart has made fun of it.

Again and again I see arguments from people like you where a reasonable increase or decrease is suddenly taken to an extreme, and you declare that bad. How about this:

Go grab a 4 oz glass. now drink 8 of them today. thats less then the recommended daily allowance of water. So hey, we're going to up it to 15 of them. Pretty close to the recommended amount per day. Now you pop in and say "hey is 15 4 oz glasses of water is better, why not 50 of them? or 100?

Thats the level of your response? REALLY?

When we say "hey extreme inequality is bad we should reduce it" the response from people like you is "why don't we make everyone make the same amount!". WTH? You're throwing up all over a discussion thread. You're not making reasonable arguments, you're just barfing up a mess all over the place.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's another idea--how about a minimum tip rate of, say 15% for restaurant servers, bartenders, taxi drivers, etc. You would always have the option of tipping zero, but not 5%, not 10%, not even 14%. Tip 14 pct, and you will get a visit from a pair of guys in suits from the wage & hour division of the dept of labor.

I wonder how servers would feel about such a rule, and whether it would harm or benefit them.

If it's a good idea to legislate this for wage rates, why not for tip rates?
So I posted my idea in the work and employment section. As of now 88% believe that mandatory minimum tip levels are a bad idea.
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...gislation.html

I don't see a diffence between mandatory minimum tips and mandatory minimum wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies