Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Ending minimum wage would mean all wages would go down so if you make min wage now then your wage would be $3 to $4. Crimes would increase as people desperate to survive. As cost of living creases min wage should increase every 3 yrs so people would not have to be homeless
Sure it would, that would be a liberal dream wouldn't it? Reduce everyones wages to 0 so they're all "equal" and dependent on government handouts.

Do you people realize that only 3% of the workforce is at minimum wage now, and most of those people aren't working those jobs as a career. You really think that a computer programmer making $100,000 is going to have a salary reduction because the minimum wage was dropped? Or ANY union job? Dropping the federal minimum wage probably wouldn't drop anyones wage, except the very few who weren't worth even that low amount anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Joe Barton A GOD representative calls for the repeal of the minimum wage.

GOP Rep. Joe Barton Calls For Minimum Wage Repeal

How many people think that this would end well at all? Am I the only one that finds this appalling? That he could be so out of touch with the people who he represents?

What do people here that support this think would happen if it were to pass?
You do realize he isn't the only one that has proposed this, it is discussed on a regular basis. Do I suppor it? No, do I see why others do, yes...

I also don't understand how anyone can really depend on what the read on the HPost blog to be told in a truthful way?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:22 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Joe Barton A GOD representative calls for the repeal of the minimum wage.

GOP Rep. Joe Barton Calls For Minimum Wage Repeal

How many people think that this would end well at all? Am I the only one that finds this appalling? That he could be so out of touch with the people who he represents?

What do people here that support this think would happen if it were to pass?
The prime result would be an increase in employment, since it would no longer be illegal to sell low-skilled labor for its market value.

Those whose labor is worth $8 per hour, or $12 per hour, or $50 per hour, would still be paid their market value. And those whose labor is worth $5 per hour or $7 per hour will also be paid the market value of their wages.

Only the most worthless worker needs to fear loss of minimum wage laws. It would be a huge boon for the unemployed.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Agree or disagree with the Supreme Court doesn't change something being constitutional unless it is overridden by Congress.

So in other words, yes, you're perfectly ok with the Schenk decision. Not a problem to you to send people to jail for passing out pamphlets.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I repost this, which in 5 pages none of the min wage advocates deigned to respond to. Let's see if you guys are capable of analysis that goes beyond a chant at a burger flipper rally. I doubt it.

(slightly modified from original for brevity):

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Consider the charity industry. There are lots of worthy causes out there, but many small charities have a hard time raising funds. Why not simply declare a "minimum donation rate." By fiat, people must give minimum x dollars. Sure a few charities might actually be helped. Some people who might have otherwise donated less than x, would now donate x.

But many people would decide that they just can't afford x and would donate zero. The bigger, more established charities would be ok. Most of their donations are already >x. but some of the smaller charities would close their doors. Some startup charities would be stillborn due to the minimum donation mandate.

Do you min. wage advocate support my minimum donation concept? If not, why not. If it works for wages, why not for other applications where we wish to see a numbers up?

Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
There's no proof that having it or increasing it will create jobs either, but that doesn't stop the left from pushing for it. "every job deserves a livable wage" seems to be the libs new talking point, with zero thought (typical for the left) on where the money is supposed to come from.
Who is claiming raising minimum wage will create jobs? It will however help the working poor make a living wage.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So in other words, yes, you're perfectly ok with the Schenk decision. Not a problem to you to send people to jail for passing out pamphlets.
No, in other words it doesn't matter what I think is or isn't okay, if the Supreme Court rules something as constitutional, then by that definition it is constitutional until it is ruled that it isn't. I still think Zimmerman shot an unarmed black teen and got away with murder, but that doesn't change the verdict, not am I gonna hunt him down and play judge because I didn't agree with the judge.

So since 1941 minimum wage has been deemed constitutional regardless if you agree with the ruling or not.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who is claiming raising minimum wage will create jobs? It will however help the working poor make a living wage.
sure--except for those members of the working poor who lose their jobs. They'll be in even more dire straits than they are now.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
sure--except for those members of the working poor who lose their jobs. They'll be in even more dire straits than they are now.
Except that is an untrue statement because numerous states have raised their minimum wage and has not caused a loss of jobs because of it because the job market looks at more important things. If you business can't handle paying some minimum wage employees then there is something wrong with your business.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

The workers most likely to lose their minimum wage jobs are likely to be the least experienced, i..e. teens. Adults working these jobs for a living won't be the primary job losers. Also, these are mostly high-turnover jobs, so adult job losers should quickly be re-employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies