Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 12:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some investors make thousands of dollars in three minutes while sleeping
So? What does that have to do with this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin

I can definitely see McD's establishments as nothing more than a giant ATM - very soon.

The technology IS there.

Bottom line: They gotta sell hamburgers.

Walked into a Mickie D's yesterday, looked the place over, watched the goings on, and thought "This is Fred Flintstone!"

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
O.k now I'm confused. Some of you are cheering for the automation of the fast food places and I bet these are the same people who are complaining that their tax dollars are going to those lazy people who don't want to work? Hmmm, so insteead of increasing the min wage to lets say to 9-10.00 an hour and getting more people off of the governments tit some of you rather see unemployment, joblessness and crime rise? Oh, and don't forget the pockets of the CEOs get fatter
Yes. It's like this. The right sees being poor as a moral failing. Since the right also sees government's role is to give right-wingers their way and keep them from being sad, they don't want to see the government raise the minimum wage and reward those whose morals are lacking.. It's not what will actually happen if the minimum wage is raised that upsets the right, it's that doing so will make them feel bad. Because they look down on those in the service industry.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So? What does that have to do with this thread?
Well, you seem to think it is unfair for someone to earn 15 bucks an hour by working at MD the whole day, getting out with their clothes and everything stinking of that food, feet hurting...

Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
Lets say they do increase the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour, now the question is this; should someone making 15.00 an hour be able to collect food stamps or any other type of public assistance? Are these people requesting this increase in pay expecting to be able to keep their public assistance, if they currently receive it, if so, then what is the reason for this wage increase? Is 15.00 an hour a livable wage, if it is, then no public assistance is required.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin

I'm with you!
It'll be great because once we do away with jobs like these, we'll have more people on Welfare and food stamp programs.

It will be interesting to see how many people who are so anti-government, pro-corporate America start singing a different tune when the government has to raise taxes to support all of those who can't work anymore because of decisions made by corporations.

WOOO!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
It might also depend on the region. In NYC 15 dollars is not as much as in Iowa, I suppose

Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
When I stop by Buccees while traveling out of town, I love being able to order my sandwich using the touchscreens they have. It guarantees that my order is submitted properly to the person prepping my sandwich. It's the e-version of Which Wich.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Sigh. Mcdonalds and other groups are going to replace workers no matter the wage, $15 might make it happen a little faster. And thats a good thing. The mcdonalds of the future:

As you drive up its got your most common order up on the screen already. (It scanned your license plate as you approached, and recognized how many people you had in your car, facial recognition may have been used to guess their order). You confirm your order, or change it to something else. If you change it you can deine your burger in a huge number of ways, including cooking type, how many pickles, etc. And you can save it. once you have it ready you shove your atm card in, or wave your NFC enabled phone near it to pay. As you drive up your order is ready-perfectly made, and prepared. It is 100X more accurate then today, and it never varies from what you ordered.

Never once did a human touch your food at this fast food place. This is coming. And its one of several industries being targeted by technology. This whole discussion is a distraction of the fact that even at current wages, these jobs are going away.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
KFC already made more profits in China than in the US. McD could be the same. It is just a matter of their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies