Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow, yes you too can have a awesome degree, with less job prospects then ever, and a huge loan owed!

Today is NOTHING like 20 or 30 years ago. Go look at the numbers
Median college loans 24k

Median weekly pay premium vs high school grads $300. Net pay gap + $225.

A 2 year payback, followed by 30 more years of pay premium vs high school grad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Median college loans 24k

Median weekly pay premium vs high school grads $300. Net pay gap + $225.

A 2 year payback, followed by 30 more years of pay premium vs high school grad.
old numbers. 29,400 today....your number is probably a year or two old.

2005 it was less then half that.

further back? Even lower.

But thats OK right? I mean hey...its not like..60% of those attempting college fail to make it and still have loans right? Oh wait...yes it is.

(that number surprised me, I was thinking like 25%....whoa)

Why do so many fail? Hmmm....must be because they are lazy right?

Seriously, I went to college in 1990, it was a LOT cheaper and easier(life balance wise) then, then it is now.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Between scholarships, grants, financial aid, loans, and part-time work, the resources have been generously provided. They have to be motivated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow, yes you too can have a awesome degree, with less job prospects then ever, and a huge loan owed!
Then people need to look at what jobs are in demand and will provide a good living. We have enough poets and dreamers, enough philosophers, enough English, Spanish and Swahili majors, too many art historians and experts in feminism and Ukrainian basket weaving, too many liberal arts artists, and we're up to our ears in sociologists and political science wonks. Follow your dreams all you want, kids, but be prepared to pay the bill when it's due. No free rides in life!

We need to reinvigorate the idea of trade schools.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Then people need to look at what jobs are in demand and will provide a good living. We have enough poets and dreamers, enough philosophers, enough English, Spanish and Swahili majors, too many art historians and experts in feminism and Ukrainian basket weaving, too many liberal arts artists, and we're up to our ears in sociologists and political science wonks. Follow your dreams all you want, kids, but be prepared to pay the bill when it's due. No free rides in life!

'
Im not sure why you think people arent doing this?

I do agree on the trade schools part, especially for a lot of the hard sciences and engineering stuff.

But the one thing I disagree about...I want equality in opportunity. Maybe not in outcome...but opportunity, and more and more thats being eroded by the high cost of higher learning.

Its always been there, but now its worse then ever.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
Quote:
Head to the oil fields....

Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
While I think the people striking to make $15 an hour are foolios, I don't think they necessarily represent every fast food worker this response will screw out of a job.
And who are behind all this? The unions. They bring in people to demonstrate. Who gains? not the fast food workers. The unions are doing it to force unionization, which brings them big buck$ in dues.

I won't be surprised if it all backfires, and employees are cut and replaced by technology. A company has to be creative and do what it needs to do to pay their bills and make a profit.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Because in many instances there aren't any "other jobs" available. It's like you neo-cons have completely missed what has happened to traditional middle class jobs in this country.

I guess you are in favor of the tax payers subsidizing corporate profits.
Ah yes what happened to those jobs? Look in the mirror lib.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am worth exactly as much as any other human being. What you probably mean is what my profession is worth.
As I said before, I never believed in that way of thinking. One person's life time is as precious as anyone else's. I don't deny that a physician should earn more than a burger flipper. Still, I think anyone working full-time should be able to lead a decent life on it, regardless of the job they do as long as they do it well.

I think those profit and productivity freaks are very unwise people, they don't have a clue of what life is about, and what it is not about.
It's no coincidence that Scientology, the cult of greed, was developed in the US...
Well we're not talking about some fantasy liberal land where you "deserve" a decent life. Hey you go get it. Why is that so hard to understand? It's not rocket science.....I mean what do you folks teach your children? If you don't get what you want cry and whine and go on strike? This country is going into the gutter thanks to folks like you. Decent life? YOU pay for their "decent life" if you want to. Don't make everybody else do so. I lived a lot of years to get to my "decent life" and now you want to take it from my CHILDREN. You see that is what you folks are doing and don't even know it. You are stealing money from our youth. But you are all for the children in you little ads and the like. Just sick...........

Old 12-10-2013, 07:56 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
Quote:
Ah yes what happened to those jobs? Look in the mirror lib.
Um....I'm not sure if you're familiar with the rules regarding them...they are:
Burnt by holy water
They cannot look at a crucifix
They are repelled by garlic
They must hide from daylight
...and they do not cast a reflection in mirrors!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
One way to lose this customer is to make it fully automated. I will not set foot again into a fast food place that replaces everyone with a touchscreen. If the touchscreen is in addition to the person, that's none thing. To replace a actor of staff? You lost my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies