Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But requiring a license for a gun doesn't mean you cannot possess one. No right is absolute. It makes no sense to say any restriction of any kind whatsoever, no matter reasonable, is automatically an infringement. We don't treat any right that way...

if you are in the militia, then you can be regulated. but each individual citizens right shall not be infringed upon to keep and bear arms. shall not be infringed upon means no law written against the peoples right to have and use arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:40 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Your LOLing is very charming but you're actively declining to answer my question: is it unconstitutional to stop a terrorist in the USA from possessing a nuclear weapon?

to stop a terrorist from another country, yes, to stop a citizen no.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
....the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Where in the bill of rights does it say this amendment requires a license?
Why is the second amendment the only amendment that you need to get a license for?
Because it is the only amendment that interferes with total control of those in power.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
....the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Where in the bill of rights does it say this amendment requires a license?
Why is the second amendment the only amendment that you need to get a license for?
Well I have to get a permit from city hall if I want hold a demonstration...so in essence I need a license to partake in my 1st amendment rights.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well I have to get a permit from city hall if I want hold a demonstration...so in essence I need a license to partake in my 1st amendment rights.
Yet another unconstitutional law that needs to be done away with.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times
I live in Fla, I don't have to get a lisc to have a gun. To carry CCW I do, but not to own it. I have to pass a BGC or buy it from a private individual. But not to own it no lisc. When I lived in Michigan I had to get a three part notarized document for any pistol and I even did one for a black powder pistol because the gun shop demanded it. Some counties would charge you 10 bucks just to get one, and you have to have one in hand before going to a gun show. Once you found a gun and it did not matter if it was private seller or gun shop ffl holder, you had to fill it out in triplicate and have it notarized [many gun shows had a notary that would sign for free if it was them you were buying from or a 5 dollar charge] you would then give one copy to the seller, you took two back to the sheriff dept. with the gun for a so called "safety inspection" and they would give you your gun back with one of the cards with your thumb print on the card. I heard that that has stopped but I am not sure. I still have a pile of cards of gun cards I kept for the heck of it. It was a pain in the but as I came of gun buying age in Fla and it was then as it is now. I bought my first gun a colt 45 1911 at a gun show in Ft Lauderdale from a private seller, he got the cash and I took the gun. Moved back to MI in the 90s and what a shock.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
I believe the 21st requires you to have a license to sell alcohol?

Last edited by Boss; 12-18-2013 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Wrong amd.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I believe the 21st requires you to have a license to sell alcohol?
OK, That's a taxation issue, but the 21st is not part of the "Bill of Rights".

Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
to stop a terrorist from another country, yes, to stop a citizen no.
By extension whatever logic you're using, it would not be constitutional to stop any legal foreign resident from owning a nuclear weapon, because legal foreign residents can own firearms today. Neither would be considered a "terrorist" until after they'd committed an act of terror or were found guilty of conspiring to commit an act of terror.

But at that point, both a citizen and a legal resident could be prohibited from owning a nuclear weapon.

Actually, though, either really is already effectively prohibited from owning a nuclear weapon because of state and federal laws controlling possession of hazardous nuclear materials.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I live in Fla, I don't have to get a lisc to have a gun. To carry CCW I do, but not to own it. I have to pass a BGC or buy it from a private individual. But not to own it no lisc. When I lived in Michigan I had to get a three part notarized document for any pistol and I even did one for a black powder pistol because the gun shop demanded it. Some counties would charge you 10 bucks just to get one, and you have to have one in hand before going to a gun show. Once you found a gun and it did not matter if it was private seller or gun shop ffl holder, you had to fill it out in triplicate and have it notarized [many gun shows had a notary that would sign for free if it was them you were buying from or a 5 dollar charge] you would then give one copy to the seller, you took two back to the sheriff dept. with the gun for a so called "safety inspection" and they would give you your gun back with one of the cards with your thumb print on the card. I heard that that has stopped but I am not sure. I still have a pile of cards of gun cards I kept for the heck of it. It was a pain in the but as I came of gun buying age in Fla and it was then as it is now. I bought my first gun a colt 45 1911 at a gun show in Ft Lauderdale from a private seller, he got the cash and I took the gun. Moved back to MI in the 90s and what a shock.
I live in Alaska, and I do not have to get a license to own or possess a firearm. To carry a firearm concealed I do not require a CCW permit. I did not have to pass a background check for any of the firearms I own. When purchasing firearms at gun shows I filled out no paperwork, and paid no extra charges. I am also not subject to any "safety inspection" by law enforcement.

Some States are more hostile towards gun owners than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies