Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How many teens and kids have access to a credit card to order online? The least expensive set up online runs about $30.00. What parent lets their kid go and charge things on the internet without any oversight?
Debit cards work like credit cards too and many teens have jobs or enough money to buy something like this in their bank accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't live in Somalia either but I care about their poverty. NYC is a cesspool of Big Government regulations and we should all care about their well being.
Interesting, what have you done for Somalia lately to help? Also if we should all care about every place, how is Wichita doing these days?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Debit cards work like credit cards too and many teens have jobs or enough money to buy something like this in their bank accounts.
Not many teens are going to cough up $30 for a basic set up when they can get a pack of smokes or a cig-a-like e-cig from a gas station for $8.00.
I started smoking when I was 13, and never had any problem getting cigarettes.

Should there be age limits? yes.
Will they stop any teen who really wants an e-cig? nope.

Not to mention you can make a box mod from parts that you can buy at Radio Shack for under $20.00. No age verification needed. The liquid can be made in your kitchen from ingredients found at Wal-mart with the exception of the nicotine.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Big Government is alive and well in NYC. These idiots just want to control your life.
-----
A few weeks ago, as the New York City Council's health committee considered a ban on using electronic cigarettes in public, several fans of the battery-powered devices sat in the audience, demonstrating their operation. "I'm watching puffs of vapor go up in this room," said Councilman Peter Vallone. "It is confusing."

Last week Vallone and 42 of his colleagues demonstrated their confusion by voting to treat vaping like smoking, meaning e-cigarettes will be banned from bars, restaurants, and other indoor spaces open to the public, along with outdoor locations such as parks and beaches. Although that arbitrary edict may relieve the discomfort of politicians bewildered by a new technology, it probably will mean more smoking-related disease and death, the opposite of their avowed goal.

But the real problem with e-cigarettes, according to Farley and other supporters of the ban, is that they look too much like the real thing. "E-cigarettes threaten, in my opinion, to undermine enforcement of the Smoke-Free Air Act," City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said last week. "Because many of the e-cigarettes are designed to look like cigarettes and be used just like them, they can lead to confusion or confrontation."

Vaping Gives Politicians the Vapors - Reason.com

-------------
Yes, the idiots on the NYC City Council are confused. But they love Big Government and love to control people's lives.

Birthers, teabaggers, and smokers...

America's whiniest.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Not many teens are going to cough up $30 for a basic set up when they can get a pack of smokes or a cig-a-like e-cig from a gas station for $8.00.
I started smoking when I was 13, and never had any problem getting cigarettes.

Should there be age limits? yes.
Will they stop any teen who really wants an e-cig? nope.

Not to mention you can make a box mod from parts that you can buy at Radio Shack for under $20.00. No age verification needed. The liquid can be made in your kitchen from ingredients found at Wal-mart with the exception of the nicotine.
I think just about every state has an age restriction on cigarettes these days. I wouldn't be surprised if a teen spend the money for an e-cigarette due to them being in random flavors rather than tasting like tobacco.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
I love marriage rules, I am a married man, I also think my gay and lesbian friends should also be able to marry their loved ones and experience the same joys as me. Why is Harrier against marriage?
Harrier isn't against marriage - and you do not like marriage rules otherwise you wouldn't support the overturning of them by unelected judges in states such as Utah and California.

Yet in a post above, you seemed to support rules that society has to make for society.

Quote:
In some cases, yes I do think that is acceptable. I don't think cigarettes should be in reach of a child in a store and have no problem making it so that that cannot be done, that is called society creating rules for society.
So, which is it?

Can people make societal rules or not?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
In some cases, yes I do think that is acceptable. I don't think cigarettes should be in reach of a child in a store and have no problem making it so that that cannot be done, that is called society creating rules for society.

That is already the reality in all states. I can't think of the last time I saw a pack of cigs in the store that wasn't out of reach and behind the cashier. I believe the law mandates it but I'm not sure.

King Bloomberg however, wants them hidden from sight so that kids don't see them and don't think about them and don't think about using them. That is social engineering and just ridiculous. It's basically the government telling people that they need to take over because people cannot be trusted to make an informed decision about what is best for them..... I don't need a nanny, do you?

{ what kills me is the fact that the same people who want cigs hidden behind a counter have no problems with walking in a grocery store with three or four isles dedicated to wine } Why is alcohol and ads for alcohol not treated the same as tobacco....? ]

Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I love marriage rules, I am a married man, I also think my gay and lesbian friends should also be able to marry their loved ones and experience the same joys as me. Why is Harrier against marriage?
Don't get me wrong, I support legalizing gay marriage, but what "joys" will they gain with a marriage license { a piece of paper } that they are deprived of without it? Let's be real here, it's about getting the same federal benefits as same sex couples which I am fine with. It's not about the "joys" of marriage.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The people of New York elected these idiots. Let them deal with them. This is the biggest issue anyone on CD can come up with? Apparently this is what New Yorkers want!! Let them have it! Who CARES??!!
I care, because if it can happen in NYC or NY State, then it can happen anywhere in the country.

Quote:
What parent lets their kid go and charge things on the internet without any oversight?
Seriously????

Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I support legalizing gay marriage, but what "joys" will they gain with a marriage license { a piece of paper } that they are deprived of without it? Let's be real here, it's about getting the same federal benefits as same sex couples which I am fine with. It's not about the "joys" of marriage.
It's party about the goodies, but the larger motive is to force societal acceptance of homosexual lifestyles and gay sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies