Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

As humans the design of our lungs and the general over all stuff that is in the air most of it our bodies deal with. Clearly if you worked in a smokey BAR or restaurant without good vents you might want to consider another BAR or restaurant to work at if you the individual don't like it. When the government can't convince you something is bad for you, they ban it when you live in NYC though I'm not really sure its ACTUALLY doing anything good other then controlling things. E-cigs is the free market finding a solution to a regulated world and or a market in general. If coke came out with a can that looked like a coke can and was only made of water NYC would ban it saying it looked to much like the coke can and was promoting soda. <--- sadly we know that statement is probably true based on the statement of that article about e-cigs.
Do you know the great thing about NYC, is I don't live there and because of these nanny state thinkers I never will. If you think about NYC what is it? Really now... A place to see and go for over priced sports, shows and stores and PRETEND the statue of liberty is a beacon of freedom. The last time statue of liberty was a beacon of freedom was in Ghostbusters 2 movie and NYC was more free then it is right now. If your rich and love to regulate other people and pay to live your life NYC is just fine for you. Small apartments, loud neighbors and they actually ask the government to regulate them more.
If you want freedom you move to another state and you want freedom you pay less taxes and have less to worry about and elect people who think the same thing. I think NYC is full of foreign people who have yet to know NYC is the last place I would consider free even though they think or have been lied to over generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This statement is a complete contradiction
So we shouldn't have speed limits on any roads, we shouldn't have laws against murder or robbery, we shouldn't have laws against using toxic chemicals in food, we shouldn't have laws that prevent companies from pumping toxic waste into our drinking water? Are you saying we should have no laws?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
NYC. Most fascist city in the nation? It really is a shame what is happening there. I'm not sure how the people who live there can stand it.
It's who liberals and progressives are; tyrants. They forget the purpose of government is to protect our rights and freedoms, and instead think their purpose is to control others by imposing their will on the people.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, and I still support age restrictions on things like e-cigarettes, what's your point?
You seem completely unaware that all ecig stores and websites have a notice that one must be 18+ to enter/purchase.

Newsflash: It's up to YOU to raise your kids. If they can't read, it's not the fault of ecig sellers.

I have genuine pity for some people who can't seem to manage to cross the street without warnings and signs. Pity and disdain.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
As humans the design of our lungs and the general over all stuff that is in the air most of it our bodies deal with. Clearly if you worked in a smokey BAR or restaurant without good vents you might want to consider another BAR or restaurant to work at if you the individual don't like it. When the government can't convince you something is bad for you, they ban it when you live in NYC though I'm not really sure its ACTUALLY doing anything good other then controlling things. E-cigs is the free market finding a solution to a regulated world and or a market in general. If coke came out with a can that looked like a coke can and was only made of water NYC would ban it saying it looked to much like the coke can and was promoting soda. <--- sadly we know that statement is probably true based on the statement of that article about e-cigs.
Do you know the great thing about NYC, is I don't live there and because of these nanny state thinkers I never will. If you think about NYC what is it? Really now... A place to see and go for over priced sports, shows and stores and PRETEND the statue of liberty is a beacon of freedom. The last time statue of liberty was a beacon of freedom was in Ghostbusters 2 movie and NYC was more free then it is right now. If your rich and love to regulate other people and pay to live your life NYC is just fine for you. Small apartments, loud neighbors and they actually ask the government to regulate them more.
If you want freedom you move to another state and you want freedom you pay less taxes and have less to worry about and elect people who think the same thing. I think NYC is full of foreign people who have yet to know NYC is the last place I would consider free even though they think or have been lied to over generations.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Big Government is alive and well in NYC. These idiots just want to control your life.
-----
A few weeks ago, as the New York City Council's health committee considered a ban on using electronic cigarettes in public, several fans of the battery-powered devices sat in the audience, demonstrating their operation. "I'm watching puffs of vapor go up in this room," said Councilman Peter Vallone. "It is confusing."

Last week Vallone and 42 of his colleagues demonstrated their confusion by voting to treat vaping like smoking, meaning e-cigarettes will be banned from bars, restaurants, and other indoor spaces open to the public, along with outdoor locations such as parks and beaches. Although that arbitrary edict may relieve the discomfort of politicians bewildered by a new technology, it probably will mean more smoking-related disease and death, the opposite of their avowed goal.

But the real problem with e-cigarettes, according to Farley and other supporters of the ban, is that they look too much like the real thing. "E-cigarettes threaten, in my opinion, to undermine enforcement of the Smoke-Free Air Act," City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said last week. "Because many of the e-cigarettes are designed to look like cigarettes and be used just like them, they can lead to confusion or confrontation."

Vaping Gives Politicians the Vapors - Reason.com

-------------
Yes, the idiots on the NYC City Council are confused. But they love Big Government and love to control people's lives.

Don't you love it? They're confused, it "looks" like smoke, and "might" lead to smoking tobacco, so it must be banned. These busybodies wouldn't know what to do if they weren't minding everyone else's business.

New Yorkers continue to vote for these control-freaks, though. Christine Quinn didn't even try to hide her agenda if she'd won the mayoral race: to continue to go after (her words) the restaurants and further control portion sizes and ingredients. Not to worry, as I'm sure De Blasio's on the same page.

Oh, and memo to Christine Quinn: MYODB and go have another Scotch.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
So we shouldn't have speed limits on any roads, we shouldn't have laws against murder or robbery, we shouldn't have laws against using toxic chemicals in food, we shouldn't have laws that prevent companies from pumping toxic waste into our drinking water? Are you saying we should have no laws?
Silly post. Nobody says that.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You seem completely unaware that all ecig stores and websites have a notice that one must be 18+ to enter/purchase.

Newsflash: It's up to YOU to raise your kids. If they can't read, it's not the fault of ecig sellers.

I have genuine pity for some people who can't seem to manage to cross the street without warnings and signs. Pity and disdain.
If there is no law for an age restriction, then there is no age restriction. It is a really simple concept.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Silly post. Nobody says that.
Yet the person I was commenting to did say "we need no laws." What does "need no laws" mean to you?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yet the person I was commenting to did say "we need no laws." What does "need no laws" mean to you?
Did he say we need no laws at all? No laws prohibiting murder? I seriously doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies