Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nobody wants to encourage teens to start smoking tobacco.

Puffing water vapor is harmless. Not all e-cigs contain nicotine. Teens should be encouraged to puff vapor as a healthy alternative to smoking tobacco.
Except that that isn't what is happening, kids are puffing nicotine to get the high from it which most cigarette smokers will tell you lead to addiction. So no they shouldn't be made available to teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
He's not the only one. Reading these threads over the last few days, you'd think some of their favourite Christmas carols are Hark the Herald Angels B**ch and Oy To The World.
Perhaps what is needed here is legislation to clamp down on and to silence these anti-nanny complainers, eh? Maybe a nice, hefty $250 fine would make them think twice about complaining about these policies that only want what is best for them.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Except that that isn't what is happening, kids are puffing nicotine to get the high from it which most cigarette smokers will tell you lead to addiction. So no they shouldn't be made available to teens.
I suspect that we have laws against selling nicotine to kids, so let's enforce the laws.

And BTW, nicotine is not the worst part of smoking tobacco. If e-cigs keep kids from smoking tobacco, I'm in favor of it.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Perhaps what is needed here is legislation to clamp down on and to silence these anti-nanny complainers, eh? Maybe a nice, hefty $250 fine would make them think twice about complaining about these policies that only want what is best for them.
Good one.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:11 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
The problem with e-cigarettes is that they are making them attractive to kids to use them because they provide the same nicotine kick without the pesky smoking of a cigarette. I can understand the concern with that because who wants to encourage teens to start smoking?
Who is?

Do you have any audios or videos of ecig people promoting ecigs for kids?

Jeez, it's disgusting when people all for the hype.

Nobody is promoting ecigs for kids.

As far as NYC is concerned, if you live there to begin with, you need all the help you can get.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Oh I am fine with parents governing their children, but there is no need for cartoon characters to be on cigarettes, nor should e-cigarettes be something marketable to teens.
Why don't you link to an ad that is geared towards teens. I'm curious what one looks like. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Oh I am fine with parents governing their children, but there is no need for cartoon characters to be on cigarettes, nor should e-cigarettes be something marketable to teens.
A lot of things that aren't so great for kids are going to be marketed to them from drugs to violence to petty crimes to sex... If not by companies then from peers and other adults. We can't make everything illegal and give up our freedoms over everything one group of people decides EVERYONE should do or not do. As parents, it's out jobs to instill values in our children so that can make the right choices on their own based of their parents personal beliefs and/or faith. I do not need the government to to do my job for me or to shield my children from reality.

Don't children usually mimic the behavior of their parents and want to do adult activities before their time? Using your logic urbanlife, we might as well ban parents from smoking, drinking, or any adult activities that 30% of American has decided should be hidden from our children... Why the hell not?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's not just NYC, these bans are being considered and implemented across the country in both blue and red states and cities.

Examples:
San Marcos Smoking Ban Includes E-Cigarettes
San Marcos, Texas has just joined a growing number of Central Texas cities to pass a smoking ordinance. Sharon Teal and Ray Santorelli, owners of Ahh Vapors, had hoped the ban would not extend to electronic cigarettes but it did.

Inclusion of E-cigarette in smoking ban has some users feeling b - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports
Bullitt County, Kentucky - bans e-cigarettes

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/107/Bill/SB0910.pdf
Tennessee - SENATE BILL 910 - treats e-cigarettes the same as tobacco products
NJ, Utah and ND already ban e cigs.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Hate to say it Road King, but if I am to pay for the health care of these smokers, drinkers, gluttons, etc. I'm all in favor of the nanny state from now on.
Everyone pays for it. Risks have been mutualized all along. Smokers pay higher premiums for healthcare and life insurance. No such surcharge for heavy drinkers or overweight people, yet. I have no issue with people paying higher costs because of their life style choices.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
The problem with e-cigarettes is that they are making them attractive to kids to use them because they provide the same nicotine kick without the pesky smoking of a cigarette. I can understand the concern with that because who wants to encourage teens to start smoking?
I am old enough to remember sugar candy cigs with red tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies