Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If any state could use to be split up, California is it! I lived in Northern California for awhile. One thing that any Californian can tell you: Northern and Southern California are already two separate states for all intents and purposes.

Having said that, the odds of any break-up of California is unlikely. The last time any state was split into two or more pieces was the creation of West Virginia in 1863. I just don't think California has the momentum and public support to make it happen. We'll see what we see.
Every state in the west is the same with large urban populations that dominate the economic and political life of the state. If we starting breaking off rural areas that feel disenfranchised, we could have about 40 states west of the Pecos. Let's not forget though, that it is those urban centers that are paying the bill for the rural areas. Without them, the rural areas would simply be more impoverished and hopeless than they already are in the west. They would be "free" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
California missed its chance to break up into smaller states a long time ago, any effort now is nothing more than a dream. People can try all they want, but it will never happen because it would be near impossible to break up the state economically.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Venture capitalist Tim Draper of Silicon Valley has filed paperwork for a November ballot measure that would divide California into six states, calling the Golden State as presently constituted 'too big and bloated.' Mr. Draper’s proposed six states are called, from north to south: Jefferson, North California, Silicon Valley, Central California, West California, and South California. His money will be needed: Proponents need to collect 1 million signatures just to get the idea on the ballot this fall. If the six-state initiative passes in California, residents would have three years to discuss whether the proposed borders make sense for them."

BREAK UP: Will California splinter into 6 states? Voters, Congress could soon decide - Washington Times

Good idea or bad idea? Who would benefit? Who would lose? Is it do-able? Would the feds interfere? (Consider that President Obama would be out of office if this actually happened so don't make his administration a reason for liking/not liking it.) Tell us if you are from California when answering.
Sounds like a good idea to me, the less populated Central Valley has always been at odds with the big city politicking that goes on. Let the sanctuary cities deal with their insane liberal politics.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
I live in "South California" anyway, so I guess no one cares what I think about the other proposed statelets. However, I can't help but comment on one, Jefferson. When one thinks of Northern California, does Thomas Jefferson even come to mind? I mean, I Jefferson was long since dead when California joined the union.

How about:

Redwoodia? Sequoialand? Almost-kinda-PacificNorthwestia? Mistiland? Oregonsouthistan? Yesitrainshereopia?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I live in "South California" anyway, so I guess no one cares what I think about the other proposed statelets. However, I can't help but comment on one, Jefferson. When one thinks of Northern California, does Thomas Jefferson even come to mind? I mean, I Jefferson was long since dead when California joined the union.

How about:

Redwoodia? Sequoialand? Almost-kinda-PacificNorthwestia? Mistiland? Oregonsouthistan? Yesitrainshereopia?
George Washington was long dead before they named Washington state after him. There are a number of cities named after Jefferson, I could imagine a state named after him too...but that will never happen cause none of the 50 states are going to be changing their borders in our lifetime.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Dems will oppose because they want all the electoral votes.
Dems would get a whole lot more Senate seats though.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I say we donate the desert-like areas back to Mexico considering lake mead/Colorado river is running low on water...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

How about:

Hi there, hardly know any person from my neck of the woods, both OC residents, and would never leave any time soon.

You live in a beautiful area also Laguna, is very nice, have a lot of friends who live there. We live in San Clemente in a custom home.

There was talk around 5 years ago of a split also, nothing ever came of that, doubt that it will again really.

Just as long as they leave our neck of the woods alone. The area we live in looks like a resort area, really beautiful scenery, and the ocean gorgeous. And the best Weather, a person could dream of ever having. Would not think so, but the people here are so friendly, more so then in other Countys we have been too, or have lived in.

Maybe a good thing, there has always been rivalry between Northern and Southern California, if it were to happen i would really be surprised.

Have traveled the world, and been to 47 other States, some good some not so good. , and love it here, and the weather cannot be beat. beautiful area, beautiful scenery, but the people are so friendly, will always go out of their way, to see how your doing, and the children that live in the area, which i find reassuring.

Hate homes that are on top of each other, as in some of the States we have visited, homes without a garage, what the hek is up with that. And in some places and cities you actually have to pay for a parking space, keep that crap. And in some States, and the east, the dumbest narrowest homes i have ever seen period. Had a cousin from Texas, who is 28 and one from R.I. who is 26 who both just up and left, and moved out here last year. I have talked to them since they are both younger, and asked them if they miss family, want to go back home. They both asked me if i were crazy, that they are happy out here, and won't be going back home no time soon. There families are upset, but understand.

Home is where one hangs their hat! and calls it a home not a house. Transplanted from the East Coast, but never catching me go back there ever.

Maybe people wish this to happen, just in my gut don't see this passing, but i could be very wrong.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
If that's what CA wants, more power to them. A state that large cannot efficiently address the wants and needs of its constituents. Six is probably too much though.
It would never ever pass. The reason is 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the people live in Southern California and we'd never vote to let our water resource collect area escape our clutches.

Republicans keep floating these ideas every few years, usually when ever they lose elections badly, it's basically them just whining and wishing "wouldn't it be nice if we only had those counties which vote for us?" It's the pathology of a loser who is lazy and doesn't want to change their positions and do what it would actually take to win free, fair, and open elections so they dream of rigging the game. Sorry, but that bird won't fly.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
So I suppose it will be 6 different languages too?

Seriously, who cares. They could sign that state away to Japan to pay down debt as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies