Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times

Advertisements

Ahh, the right wing displays it's hatred of America and fellow Americans. So typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I live in "South California" anyway, so I guess no one cares what I think about the other proposed statelets. However, I can't help but comment on one, Jefferson. When one thinks of Northern California, does Thomas Jefferson even come to mind? I mean, I Jefferson was long since dead when California joined the union.

How about:

Redwoodia? Sequoialand? Almost-kinda-PacificNorthwestia? Mistiland? Oregonsouthistan? Yesitrainshereopia?
The idea to create a new state called "Jefferson" is over 100 years old. It would consist of several counties in Northern CA, and also in Southern Oregon. The capital would be Yreka, a tiny town just off I-5. If you stop there, you'll find "State of Jefferson" stuff everywhere, including a flag!

No one seems to agree where the name comes from. There is a Jefferson Co in Central Oregon, but I don't think it's part of the movement.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...most of California being the land of the fruits and nuts.
Yes, the agricultural industry is HUGE here!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Venture capitalist Tim Draper of Silicon Valley has filed paperwork for a November ballot measure that would divide California into six states, calling the Golden State as presently constituted 'too big and bloated.' Mr. Draper’s proposed six states are called, from north to south: Jefferson, North California, Silicon Valley, Central California, West California, and South California. His money will be needed: Proponents need to collect 1 million signatures just to get the idea on the ballot this fall. If the six-state initiative passes in California, residents would have three years to discuss whether the proposed borders make sense for them."

BREAK UP: Will California splinter into 6 states? Voters, Congress could soon decide - Washington Times

Good idea or bad idea? Who would benefit? Who would lose? Is it do-able? Would the feds interfere? (Consider that President Obama would be out of office if this actually happened so don't make his administration a reason for liking/not liking it.) Tell us if you are from California when answering.
Rural California is like rural any place else- older, whiter, more sparsely populated, and more conservative. They are not happy with the status quo in Washington and Sacramento, and don't have the votes to do anything about it. Such people are ripe for exploitation by pols who couldn't hack it in Sacramento, and want to create little fiefdoms, and corporations looking forward to new jurisdictions where they can bribe their way into more "business-friendly" regulation environments.

I can tell by looking at that map, at least two of those new states would starve to death inside six months without massive federal funds.

Just what the country needs- more parasitic red states.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
What is it with techno-libertarians wasting their money on pointless political campaigns? First Meg Whitman, now this.

Oh well, at least he'll be providing employment for signature-gatherers.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Rural California is like rural any place else- older, whiter, more sparsely populated, and more conservative. They are not happy with the status quo in Washington and Sacramento, and don't have the votes to do anything about it. Such people are ripe for exploitation by pols who couldn't hack it in Sacramento, and want to create little fiefdoms, and corporations looking forward to new jurisdictions where they can bribe their way into more "business-friendly" regulation environments.

I can tell by looking at that map, at least two of those new states would starve to death inside six months without massive federal funds.

Just what the country needs- more parasitic red states.
I wanted to rep you for this, but it wouldn't let me. Such a great post and it is always sad to see rural people being exploited by conservatives.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just one more reason to eliminate the electoral college and go to one man, one vote.
Do you have a problem with women voting?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
However, I can't help but comment on one, Jefferson. When one thinks of Northern California, does Thomas Jefferson even come to mind? I mean, I Jefferson was long since dead when California joined the union.
When one thinks about Washington state, does George Washington even come to mind, despite his portrait being on the state flag?

Washington was long dead when Washington joined the union.

Maybe Washington should be renamed Hitler, since both the state and ol' Adolf were born in 1889.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
When one thinks about Washington state, does George Washington even come to mind, despite his portrait being on the state flag?

Washington was long dead when Washington joined the union.

Maybe Washington should be renamed Hitler, since both the state and ol' Adolf were born in 1889.
Adolf isn't an American. Why would the US name a state after a non American?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Adolf isn't an American. Why would the US name a state after a non American?
Harrier was pointing out the ridiculousness of a person having to be alive when a state is named after them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies