Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is just an excuse that gets repeated.
It's a reality. What is your business experience? What makes you think it's just an excuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I just see it causing all kinds of problems like mcdonald's raising their prices even higher which make result in less customers.
Of course. It represents increased costs. It's a no brainer. It has to produce a corresponding increase in prices. Those cost increases have to be covered.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Has McDonalds prices caused you to stop going there?
That would depend on how much higer the prices go. The last time I ate at McDonald's (back in November) I was shocked to see how much their prices had gone up since the last time I had been there. My thoughts were, for that amount of money, I could eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant, have a better meal, and be waited on.

$5 for a McDonald's hamburger is more than I'm willing to pay.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I don't go there as much for dinner anymore because those prices are out of control. If you get a quarter pounder and fries with a drink that's close to $10 total with tax.
Exactly. It's ridiculous. I can go to a nice Mexican restaurant and have a nice meal for less than that. That's a better choice to me. So any increase in McDonald's prices very definitely does result in fewer customers.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what I expect, if someone wants to quit their job because minimum wage went up, that is on them.
That's right, ignore the reality of your demands. That's the problem with Leftists. You don't think about the consequences of what you want to force on people. It's no skin off your nose. Is that what the Leftists call "compassion?"

Old 01-18-2014, 05:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So you think poor people shouldn't make more money?
And just how many "poor people" do you think are on min wage ?

3.7 million earn min wage or less.
Over 1/2 of them are 16-25 and living in homes that earn over $65K a year.
The demographics of them are White middle class teenagers working p/t jobs.
62% of min wage workers are enrolled in school (K-12 or college)

The other 1/2 are adults.
75% of them have household incomes of over $42K a year.

What about all those "single moms slaving away at min wage jobs to raise a family" ?
They make up 4% of those 3.7 million min wage workers.

So you are essentially fighting to raise min wage across the entire US so that 148,000 single working moms earn a bit more money but not enough to get off welfare. (These single moms would need $28-30/hour to get off SNAP, medicaid and free lunches).

The majority of min wage workers are middle class students working while going to school.

All this information is provided by the USG and anyone can look it up (Census Bureau).
But you won't see the likes of any of the MSM putting this out to the public will you ?

Ask yourself how this "War on Wages" got started ?
Ask yourself why neither the MSM nor elected officials give details on who earns min wage especially when that information is available and current from the Census Bureau.

People need to stop swallowing headlines and one-liners from politicians as the gospel truth.
Take what they say and then go verify it yourself.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Really?

When minimum wage is raised, all boats will expect to raise as well. The bottom up CONtango.

One thing is certain; employers will only hire people with more experience, or automate. There will be less entry level on-the-job training jobs, except for those that are already well above $10, such as construction apprenticeships.
This is so painfully obvious, one wonders why the proponents of increasing the minimum wage cannot see it? Willful blindness, I guess. They want what they want. Damn the consequences.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I remember back in the day minimum wage went up and my pay went from being a 1.25 over to about 0.25 over and my boss didn't give me a raise because of it, nor did I just quit my job. Come the following pay period I received another raise like I did each year that bumped me 0.75 over the new minimum wage. The minimum wage had no effect on my job.
And you were perfectly happy to be making only slightly over what the new hires or those with less experience than you were now making, right? Didn't bother you in the slightest? You had worked your butt off, and had increased your pay; but, now, by government fiat, you were only slightely better off than those with less experience and seniority than you, some of whom perhaps even were asking you how to do things, huh?

Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It affected the value of the dollars you earned, though.

Disagree?

Why did you get that annual raise? Were you actually producing more every year, justifying that increase? Or was it because the purchasing power of the dollars you were being paid was decreasing?
In the real world, and if he was a good employee, it was both. But when the minimum wage goes up, and the ****** that just got hired and doesn't know much is now making the same, or only slightly less, my experience is that a whole lot of employees think they aslo deserve an increase, and they are pissed if they don't get it.

Doesn't make for happy employees. An employer is almost forced to increase everybody's wages to keep the discontent under control.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lost in the discussion about the potential raise in the minimum wage is what impact that will have on people who CURRENTLY make slightly more than the new minimum wage when it is implemented.

Here is what I am talking about:

Current Minimum Wage $7.25 an hour is paid to mostly people with no skills and in retail or fast food.

Semi Skilled person working in a position such as an Office Clerk, Nurses Aide, Receptionist, Cook, factory worker with some skills, etc. (Lets say they currently make $10.25 an hour)

They are paid more than minimum wage because these semi skilled employees have some unique education and talents and the marketplace says they should make more than minimum wage.

OK now, lets say President Obama is successful and get a law passed that will increase the Minimum Wage to $10.00 an hour and now low skilled fast food workers make $10 an hour.

What happens to the semi skilled workers who use to make $3 more than Minimum Wage because they had talents and education? Will their pay go up to $13 an hour?
Nope, keep their pay right where it is, and let them see what happens when they vote for people who don't have a clue and ridiculously force the minimum wage up.

That way when all the prices for goods and services go up accordingly, they will be as poor as the people who's minimum wage just went up, and now since everything costs more, they see no benefit to the raise in minimum wage except for paying higher taxes taxes.

People clamoring for a raise in minimum wage fail to realize, the cost for goods and services go up accordingly, and employment goes down.

BTW, less than 2.8% of ALL workers make minimum wage, AND ½ of those workers are between 16 and 24.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-minimum-wage/

Maybe they forget what happened when congress foisted the 3 part minimum wage increase on a military appropriations bill near the end of Bush's last term in office. As soon as it went into effect, prices started going up, employment went down. THEN all the mortgages that were made to people who could barely afford them in the first place, started running into problems because the people making those smaller wages were the first affected, getting hours cut, getting laid off, so they couldn't make their mortgage and got their homes foreclosed on, cars repossessed, etc etc etc.

So yeah, let's do it again, and see who else we can hurt should be their battle cry as they prepare to raise the minimum wage.

Last edited by Darkatt; 01-18-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies