Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,953 times

Advertisements

We were spanked on occassion - maybe 3 or 4 times. It had to be something really, really bad to get a spanking, and it was only done if it was a repeat offense. It was always the last resort.

Spanking shouldn't be illegal, but it should definitley be used sparingly. As another poster stated, spanking a one year old is beyond wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
well didnt the story say spanking a child under 18, my first thought why would you spank a child over 18?
Hmmm. I wasn't thinking about spanking children over 18 especially. I was thinking about the people who "confuse pain with pleasure." You see it all the time these days, particularly in the people who get all the weird piercings (tongue, nipples, whatever else). A friend of mine who had a PhD in Psychology told me that they "confuse pleasure with pain." For a child who confuses the two, a spanking is not going to be effective as it would be something they would enjoy.

It's just something to think about...

Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM

162 posts, read 504,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Hmmm. I wasn't thinking about spanking children over 18 especially. I was thinking about the people who "confuse pain with pleasure." You see it all the time these days, particularly in the people who get all the weird piercings (tongue, nipples, whatever else). A friend of mine who had a PhD in Psychology told me that they "confuse pleasure with pain." For a child who confuses the two, a spanking is not going to be effective as it would be something they would enjoy.

It's just something to think about...

THAT is beyond disturbing. I doubt many kids actually look forward to a spanking if they do they need help right away.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,900 times
OK this is for all you that believe their should be a ban on spanking. when a say 8 year old kid is very unruly, and timeout, counseling, grounding , etc. hasnt worked, what do you think the solution be?

I'll tell you.
Wear their hides out!!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
OK this is for all you that believe their should be a ban on spanking. when a say 8 year old kid is very unruly, and timeout, counseling, grounding , etc. hasnt worked, what do you think the solution be?

I'll tell you.
Wear their hides out!!!!
Why is your 8 year old out of control anyway if you have been parenting in a consistent manner. Do you think spanking them will work if ALL that did not? NO.........I have tried several methods and found what works for me and I do not have to resort to "wearing out hides" . My kids KNOW what I expect. I don't agree that there should be a BAN on spanking. I just think it is a hypocritical way to teach your children right from wrong.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,842,621 times
It always made sense to have it mirror what we have already set up as societal norms and controls (yes, controls...not "suggestions" or "guidelines").

Most states have penal codes written to exclude "age appropriate spanking to the buttocks" and tend to define the limit as anything that would cause bruising, broken skin, bleeding, etc.

So my mom's sandal, or the balsa wood paint stirrer that was hanging from the side of the fridge in my house, were both good objects for this type of moderated, legal corporal punishment.

In my police career (East LA primarily) we saw hundreds upon hundreds of cases of abuse, yet an awful lot MORE instances where parents who were willing to spank were able to control the behavior of otherwise incorrigible children.

And again, it mirrors society. If a bully is out of hand in a nightclub, they may ASK him to leave, but the BOUNCER is the one that enforces the suggestion. And if a bouncer grabs hold of you and you resist, he's going to put the hurt to you.

If you really get into it, and we arrived, you had better become VERY compliant RIGHT NOW or guess what? We were going to put the hurt to you if you still felt like being physical.

Through society, there ALWAYS is the "final line" where society places controls on people. For a gentle society (think Japan) it's by a national attitude of adherence to rules and traditions followed willingly for the most part. For a pretty wild and wooly society (USSR) the NKVD and KGB kept things under control by going overboard, but crime was low. Now that the Soviet Union fell, all hell broke loose because they went to too few controls to stop it.

So in my home, with 4 children, we spanked, but it was awfully rare. I don't recall the last time (3-4 years ago maybe?) that I had to give out a spanking, but we're a quiet family. My nephew gets spanked with some regularity, but my brother loves him and hates being pushed to that level by my nephew forcing his hand to hit that final "societal control".

And in much the same way we regulate the amount of force law enforcement officers may use to overcome resistance, so we tell parents that spanking much be age appropriate and non-traumatic to the body.

Folks, it makes perfect sense, and gets kids ready for the real world where REAL laws are backed up by cops with batons and guns and prisons with bars and armed guards. Good kids, WHETHER OR NOT they were spanked, will likely never have an seriously unpleasant experience with either of those two entities....unless they wind up working in that industry, huh?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Someone earlier mentioned putting soap in a child's mouth for saying bad words...

To me, that is child abuse and would be much worse than spanking.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Pain is a very good teacher.

How did you learn that you need to let food cool before you eat it? You ate something straight out of the microwave or oven and burned your mouth.

How do we learn not to pull a cat's tail? Because the cat reared back and swatted with claws.

Why can't the same be true for knocking stuff over or throwing hissy fits?
There is a big difference, the microwave didn't set out with the intention of hurting me :-) An adult can make the choice of inflicting pain or not, and I think choosing to inflict pain is not the way to go.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Someone earlier mentioned putting soap in a child's mouth for saying bad words...

To me, that is child abuse and would be much worse than spanking.
Do people really do that? I thought that was only in movies (OLD MOVIES)

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
There is a big difference, the microwave didn't set out with the intention of hurting me :-) An adult can make the choice of inflicting pain or not, and I think choosing to inflict pain is not the way to go.
And the cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post
Do people really do that? I thought that was only in movies (OLD MOVIES)
My dad did it to me. In the end, I didn't use that kind of language till I was 18. On my 18th birthday, I looked at my dad and starting saying "D-,s-,f-" again and again because there was nothing he could do at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies