Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
and that doesn't change the fact a high school grad adding no training or education is more than likely in for a world of lifelong economic hurt.
Exactly, for 99% of people with only a high school education their only prospects are minimum wage jobs (though career advancement is possible with in-company promotions) or the military these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Not long ago, we were number one globally in the proportion of college grads.

Again, corps have an oversupply of warm bodies, and we are adding millions ever year. There are no jobs just sweeping floors all day long, soon we'll have kiosks in fast food, robots making burgers, self serve checkouts using RFID-a huge leap forward from self serve in use now, as all items in the basket would scan simultaneously without the shopper needing to do more than ride over a plate in the floor with a carriage. All this stuff will greatly increase the ratio of available low skilled labor to a reduced quantity of low skilled open positions.

Given that, we should certainly increase the national level of post secondary education and training..every day of every year.
How will companies benefit from sales from these processes when fewer people go. My father has written off Home Depot if the only open registers are self-checkout as well as Applebees for the tablet ordering because one he is technologically impared and two it removes jobs (think about it, you now have one computer technican vs. the four or so employees that Walmart replaces with these terminals. The issue is the 1 job created for 4 jobs lost is that is four less people paying in which in turn makes a return on investment worth it. If it increases sales while maintaining costs or decreases costs while maintaining sales it is worth while. If people do not contribute because they were part of the cost cutting That is the downside to this process.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Mostof the time when it comes to community colleges and public universities, it's their Liberal Arts departments that are to blame. Their Science and Health departments are almost always the best ones with the smart students. These degrees are harder to complete and admissions standards are higher.
Nonsense. Especially with community colleges. Community colleges are basically an extension of high school. There's minimal learning outside of the classroom. I've taught at both private and public universities. I've come across horrible institutions of both kinds. But mostly community colleges and public universities give the worst educational experiences. In many of these colleges, students have had no papers published by the time they graduate. They often spend no time doing research in their field and have very little outside of the classroom contact with their professors.

However, there are good public schools. Virginia Tech and Michigan are two excellent ones. only 10% of the learning comes from the textbooks and classroom teaching at these schools.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM

373 posts, read 589,727 times
Two reasons that should be obvious to everyone:

1) 4 more years of liberal indoctination. Presumably eaten up by all (or almost all) who attend college. 12 years of windmills and egaiitarianism aren't enough. I guess they think it takes 16 years for you think that it is imperative that you share with third world babies fathered by tribal bullies living in dirt huts (whether you want to or not!) For some reason its very very important to them. BTW, has been for a long time.

2) College is big business. No, excuse me...I mean BIG business. Fannie Freddie, the whole gang, including people you haven't the foggiest clue who they are, are making big bucks on tuition that has increased what? like 1000%? It's like getting a mortgage that you plan to spend the next 20 yrs paying off but you can't live in it. Get it?

If you don't you're just like the rest. Good effin' luck, sucker.

I taught college level courses on and off for 30 years. 40% of those students had absolutely no business being there.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How will companies benefit from sales from these processes when fewer people go. My father has written off Home Depot if the only open registers are self-checkout as well as Applebees for the tablet ordering because one he is technologically impared and two it removes jobs (think about it, you now have one computer technican vs. the four or so employees that Walmart replaces with these terminals. The issue is the 1 job created for 4 jobs lost is that is four less people paying in which in turn makes a return on investment worth it. If it increases sales while maintaining costs or decreases costs while maintaining sales it is worth while. If people do not contribute because they were part of the cost cutting That is the downside to this process.
The majority of customers will stay with them, just as ATMs didn't deter customers. Not all are your dad's age.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Two reasons that should be obvious to everyone:

1) 4 more years of liberal indoctination. Presumably eaten up by all (or almost all) who attend college. 12 years of windmills and egaiitarianism aren't enough. I guess they think it takes 16 years for you to make it imperative that you share with third world babies fathered by tribal bullies living in dirt huts (whether you want to or not!) For some reason its very very important to them.

2) College is big business. No, excuse me...I mean BIG business. Fannie Freddie, the whole gang, including people you haven't the foggiest clue who they are, are making big bucks on tuition that has increased what? like 1000%? It's like getting a mortgage that you plan to spend the next 20 yrs paying off but you can't live in it. Get it?

If you don't you're just like the rest. Good effin' luck, sucker.
It might help for you to do actual research or learn something before you talk about it. But that might be asking too much out of you.

1) College is not liberal indoctrination. In fact, you should check to see whether conservative politicians have college degrees and whether conservative states support higher education.

2) College tuition is relatively affordable compared to historical pricing. So your increase complaint is nonsense. It takes much less than 20 years to pay off $26k of debt for college graduates.

You might want to learn to research better so you don't post with so much error.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nonsense. Especially with community colleges. Community colleges are basically an extension of high school. There's minimal learning outside of the classroom. I've taught at both private and public universities. I've come across horrible institutions of both kinds. But mostly community colleges and public universities give the worst educational experiences. In many of these colleges, students have had no papers published by the time they graduate. They often spend no time doing research in their field and have very little outside of the classroom contact with their professors.

However, there are good public schools. Virginia Tech and Michigan are two excellent ones. only 10% of the learning comes from the textbooks and classroom teaching at these schools.
Of course there are good public schools as well. Penn State, the flagship public uni in my state, is one of the most respected institutions in the world. Again, having papers published depends on what your degree is. If you're pursuing a language degree, I don't see how having a paper published for an undergrad has any meaning to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It might help for you to do actual research or learn something before you talk about it. But that might be asking too much out of you.

1) College is not liberal indoctrination. In fact, you should check to see whether conservative politicians have college degrees and whether conservative states support higher education.

2) College tuition is relatively affordable compared to historical pricing. So your increase complaint is nonsense. It takes much less than 20 years to pay off $26k of debt for college graduates.

You might want to learn to research better so you don't post with so much error.
That's because he's getting all his information from Fox news and Breitbart. Oftentimes it's people who have not gone to college that make these claims.

1. Considering that many conservative politicians have graduate degrees kinda flips his argument upside down

2. I agree with this. Except for those who go to a $40k a year uni

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM

136 posts, read 176,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
And since Americans can't invent things like smart phones without a college education
No one person "invented" smart phones. I'm not sure who came up with the idea to make phones have the same capabilities as personal computers, but I know that Steve Jobs sold the idea, made it cool, and he didn't have a college degree. I also am pretty sure that 99.9% of design and manufacture of smart phones does not require any knowledge beyond basic reading, writing and arithmetic, which is what you're supposed to learn in high school. The 0.1% of the design and manufacture of smart phones that would necessitate higher education would be any mathematicians or statisticians who work at Apple to design super-advanced algorithms and make forecasts of profit margins based on Measure-Theoretical Calculus and whatnot.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Of course there are good public schools as well. Penn State, the flagship public uni in my state, is one of the most respected institutions in the world. Again, having papers published depends on what your degree is. If you're pursuing a language degree, I don't see how having a paper published for an undergrad has any meaning to it.
There's very very few programs worth considering at Penn State. They used to have a nice collection of faculty... but it's really thinned out. What's going on with their NSF rank?
Quote:

That's because he's getting all his information from Fox news and Breitbart. Oftentimes it's people who have not gone to college that make these claims.

1. Considering that many conservative politicians have graduate degrees kinda flips his argument upside down

2. I agree with this. Except for those who go to a $40k a year uni
I went to a small private college in my small town (princeton, nj). The tuition rate is high compared to other schools. But they pay most of your tuition for you. Even then, the full tuition is still more affordable than it used to be.

If you look at tuition rates between 1100's and 1800's, college was much further out of reach for middle class than it is today.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Who needs educated citizens, am I right?
I know right? Who needs teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, psychologists, journalists, lawyers, or educated people in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies