Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You don't have a god given right to do what you want, where you want. Take it to the courts because so far the law doesn't agree with you smokers.
You're right I don't. For example bans in hospitals, the courthouse etc. These all make sense and I can accept. When the ban moves to private establishment where the owner of that establishment wants to allow me to smoke that's a different story because you have a choice, I have choice and the owner of the establishment has a choice when there is no ban. What makes you think your rights are more important than the owner of the private establishment or mine?

Just because it's a law doesn't make it right and some day you're going to wake up and realize it.... hopefully. That time will come when the nanny state comes after something you do.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being old enough about making choices so stop with that nonsense or do something productive and take that to a lawyer. Or get a better argument....
If you can make that decision responsibly then the only other palusible explantion for your postion is that you want to control what other people do.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Please, don't interject common sense into this issue. Smokers will lie, cheat, and steal to try and keep smoking in public. The vast majority of persons are against smoking: IN PUBLIC. That includes restaurants, bars, and businesses. No one cares if you smoke in your own home.

WE just don't want to smell and be subjected to the nasty habit you want to "enjoy." Not only that, I truly do not want to pay for your healthcare, regarding ALL of the issues involved with smoking. Pay for it yourself.
I am a smoker, and have no issues with our VERY strict smoking bans here in California... I am also extremely considerate about it, despite popular belief (regarding the average smoker), and will take every precaution possible to keep it from your precious nose. Not only that, but I am also almost 100% perfect in terms of not leaving my butts lying around. There are very few ashtrays available in this state now, and yet I still hang on to them until I find an appropriate receptacle.

That being said, when you use "my right to breathe (or breath to many here ) trumps your right to smoke," it's funny how you all never apply that to other breathing hazards & annoyances - from perfume to body odors to auto exhaust, the concern for the comfort of others seems to be nill. I am highly highly allergic to all floral-based perfumes and products, but does anyone care about that? Even so, do you see me calling for public bans? Nope, because my sensitivities are MY problem to deal with alone.

Working in a public library this is a constant issue for me, but still I do not ask anyone to accommodate my allergies. If someone comes in wearing strong perfume, I excuse myself to the back and/or take an allergy pill. But I guess not everyone practices the old "personal responsibility" bit they preach about on other issues? Especially interesting coming from a conservative, as you guys use that argument ALL THE TIME!! Just look up any thread on private businesses denying service to gays or minorities, and that is literally the first thing a conservative (and some liberals) will say - if you don't like it, don't patronize or work there. Am I right? Part of me even agrees with that, but the laws differ from state to state and depending on the type of business. And in terms of smoking specifically, like I said, I have no problems with following the laws as they currently stand.

Final note, mostly directed at the pansy Californians I live around: If I am smoking outside and away from any public entrances, or in my own car/home, leave me the f alone. I follow the rules diligently, so back off and deal with it when I'm smoking where it's still allowed. I actually had a woman give me crap about smoking in my CAR once, and all I gave her in response was the middle finger.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Meh. I'm a smoker, but I enjoy taking it outside and think it gets gross in smoky indoor places. There was a coffee shop my friends and I used to hang out at, and it got so smoky in there that the only way it didn't bother me was if I lit up my own cigarette.

Outdoor smoking bans, on the other hand, seem to be pushing it. I try to go away from people, but if someone gets a whiff of cigarette smoke it's probably no more harmful than exhaust fumes from the cars we're all driving.
Exactly my thoughts. Some posters on here act like all smokers oppose these bans, while I'd guess the majority of us are fine with them - especially here in California, where we've grown used to our (long-standing) restrictions. I don't like smelling smoke while eating, and don't even smoke inside my own apartment. But like you said, if I'm outside they just need to grow a pair & move themselves away from the smoke. I think that's a fair compromise, don't you?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
Allow restaurant/bar owners to decide.
Correct. The market, not the government, should determine where we can smoke.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
OBTW, I smoked for many years, quit in 86, and still have breathing issues as a result. Smoking is stupid, and yes I did smoke, but to defend it today in light of the fact it only causes harm is beyond stupid.
So you think the government should outlaw everything that they think is stupid? Do you need the government to tell you what is stupid?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
The property owner should have the power to decide if he wishes to ban smoking or not.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Default Anti Smoking bigots love Big Government

Yes, they will do anything to tell us how to live our lives. New laws controlling our behavior are like crack cocaine to lawmakers.
------------------------------------
There are few issues that are as riddled with outright claptrap as the scare about what smokers' puffing is doing to innocent non-smokers.

Brendan O'Neill | February 9, 2014
If there really were such a thing as a bull**** detector, a machine that bleeped upon encountering nonsense, it would probably go into meltdown whenever someone talked about second-hand smoke.

In the modern public sphere, there are few issues that are as riddled with myth, misinformation, contradictory claims and outright claptrap as the scare about what smokers' foggy puffing is doing to us innocent non-smokers.

In recent years we've been told that second-hand smoke, or passive smoking, as some people call it, is as bad as smoking itself and can give you lung cancer. And apparently if you are surrounded by it in a car that has its windows closed that is like being in the most smoky, nicotine-stained bar you could ever imagine (if such bars still existed, which of course they don't).

The Totalitarian Crusade Against Second-Hand Smoke - Reason.com

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Interesting. I am VERY MUCH anti government. I don't want the government involved in much of my life. I want social security and medicare abolished.

YET, I want smoking in public areas BANNED. So, what does that make me or others like me?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM

608 posts, read 482,461 times
I agree Phil. As a former smoker the smell of it revolts me and I enjoy being able to walk into a store or eatery without smelling that crap or having it blown in my face.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
All Americans love big Government. Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies