Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The house. The one you earned through hard work. Otherwise all of you end up in a homeless shelter mooching off of taxpayers. You can easily get in your family time, and even help/rely on family for certain aspects of life while simultaneously holding down a full-time job and being independent. You are simply making excuses to be a moocher by disguising it as a family values argument. Personally, I find that to be abhorrent.

The more I read about liberal perspectives on work ethic, living at home well into adulthood, etc, it becomes a lot more clear to me as to why their ideology is one of abject failure. Hell, we can't even convince these folks that hard work is the key to upward mobility in this country! Half of them are arguing that there's nothing wrong with living in mom and dad's basement! Absolutely disgusting!

This liberal has not lived at home for more than a few weeks visiting since I was 18 and 8 years later have gone through an elite college on a full tuition scholarship, faced stage IV cancer and 6 months of chemo, and started grad school all on my own financially and logistically. That doesn't change the fact that multigenerational living DOES work well in many families. For most families, the extra money staying in the family is beneficial for everyone. Just because my life didn't go that way doesn't mean that others should have to struggle in less-ideal situations. After you go through something like cancer, you realize that the idea of independence and freedom means nothing if you don't have the funds to pay for the responsibilities it entails. If pooling funds as a family unit offers more security for everyone (and it does) then why is that a problem?

No one is saying be a moocher. I find it abhorrant. Even if a parent doesn't mind their child living at home with them for free, they should charge rent even if they are only going to give it back to their adult child after they move out. Ivorytickler, others, and I are not saying that it's OK for a 24 year old to lay around watching tv and playing video games, having mom do laundry and cook, and not working. Of course not! But what we ARE saying is that having more working adults in the household offers more financial security for the family. If you have raised responsible children, this arrangement can work out nicely. If you raised lazy, immature children, then of course it's not going to work.

How does it benefit the family for a young adult to pay a landlord or roommates rather than pay their parents' mortgage or (if the parents insist) save that money? Of course the parents don't owe their child anything, but if it works for them, why disparrage? The 20 somethings living at home are the ones who will reach financial independence faster: i.e. my younger brother who was a 23 year old homeowner in a region where housing is very expensive and most can't consider buying until they're in their 30s. My brother's future father-in-law loved having my brother around to help with home maintanence and yardwork - something he had previously had to pay others to do because he no longer had kids in the house.

It wasn't too long ago that adult children lived at home until they were married. My own parents did that in the early 80s - and even lived with my grandmother for a few years to save for a condo. It wasn't abnormal then, and they helped my grandmother pay off the house. Today, people are getting married later and later. In my region, 30 seems about the average age of marriage for college educated, career driven adults. I'm not saying that people should live at home until they're 30, but if they're working and contributing, what's really wrong with it?

As a young woman who is dating and looking for financial stability in a partner, I'd rather date someone who lives in his parents' basement and has a nice nest egg for a downpayment rather than someone living with roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
whats wrong with staying home?
Nothing wrong with the parents helping their kids out as a safety net, my parents helped me and I'll help mine if they ever need it (thankfully they are doing well on their own so far because they were taught to be self sufficient from an early age)

The problem comes when the net turns into a hammock.
Lifelong dependency on others is not good regardless If it's the state or your parents.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:51 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why do you think that is any different that it's been for everyone else over the decades? Do you think that kids who moved out of their parents home in the 70's/80's/90's had it so good they were putting money away for a house and retirement on day one? No, we scraped by, gradually made more money as we gained skills and experience and then started saving for a house and retirement.

Why do you think that today you shouldn't have to start at the bottom and work your way up like generations before you did?
I am fortunate that I do not have to "start at the bottom". My parents are allowing me to live with them. There's nothing wrong with getting a little leg up in life. Success does not mean you start at the bottom and work your way up. Success is making the best of what you have and using that to your advantage to improve. That's what I am doing.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some of the earliest players in the Indian outsourcing market were Texas Instruments, American Express, Swissair, British Airways and GE, who started captive units in India in the 80's. Outsourcing technology to India rapidly accelerated in the 90's. About 1/10 corporations had outsourced some aspects of their technology to India by 2000. While substantial, it's certainly not most IT jobs.

Outsourcing goes back to the late 1700's when manufacturers started shifting the manufacture of goods to countries with cheaper labor during the Industrial Revolution.
The 1/10 has changed to about 9/10. Major companies that do not have an Indian outsourcing IT presence are in the minority today, and they are moving more and more into management.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The 1/10 has changed to about 9/10. Major companies that do not have an Indian outsourcing IT presence are in the minority today, and they are moving more and more into management.
This isn't what's hurting our economy.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 PM

275 posts, read 193,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Nice talking point, but,on top of what BoomBen said, most people in the US do not work for large corporations nor have they ever. Most work for small companies. There is a reason why those jobs have not come back or increased; perhaps you should ask that question.
High taxes killing small business but you can't tell dems that. They just keep blaming everyone else but democratic policies.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
I just don't understand how a lot of people arrive at an understanding of the world.

Look children inevitably emulate the adults they see. They have no other teachers.

So this absurd idea that a lot of people advance that children or young adults can be radically different from their parents or even grandparents makes no sense to me.

It is an absolute illusion that is more predicated upon someone's biases against young people.

The only way young adults or children behave radically different from the adults they saw growing up is if society is radically changed and they are forced to adapt, but even still those young adults pine for the way things used to be back when their parents or grandparents were young because that is all they know.

So the extent that young adults stay home longer reflects a change in society, not in young adults.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
High taxes killing small business but you can't tell dems that. They just keep blaming everyone else but democratic policies.
Big box everything is killing small business and there's nothing government can or should do about it.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the last crop of apples did not ripen. an entire generation of people working buying houses cars and having kids raising them, and paying income taxes did not happen. lean times up ahead when the baby boomers check out.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
More than 70% of singles, aged 20-29 lived with their parents in the 1940's, a level that not since has been realized.

In 2000:
36% of women and 42% of men aged 20-29 lived with a parent.

In 2005:
39% of women and 46% of men aged 20-29 lived with a parent.

Analysis: 'Boomerang' generation mostly hype - USATODAY.com

Adult children are living at home longer than they did in the 70's all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies