Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times

Advertisements

In your opinion.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Ohhhhh, the Koch brothers are involved? Well, that explains it. Can we see your source?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Water rights and laws have been an issue for hundreds of years and I can't believe none of you saw the wealth of westerns growing up that addressed issues with water rights....LOL Ranchers or farmers up stream damming up a stream/creek and those down stream facing starving livestock or drought ridden crops tons of movies have been made about this. It still goes on today all across the US.

In the PNW when the huge dams were put in and all but destroyed the salmon runs are still going on. Right here in GA there is a HUGE war going on about Lake Lanier and it's water: Lake Lanier water decision: Timeline | www.ajc.com.

Anyone remember the brilliant movie Chinatown with Jack Nicholson? It was all about water rights in California Forget Chinatown, Get the Real Story of California's Most Famous Water War | Los Angeles | Artbound | KCET.

I was born and raised in Oregon and water rights have always been a part of this state and the history of water rights was taught in my grade school and high school classes back in the 50's and 60's, my father was raised in California and again water rights have always been a part of that state's development.

Just google Indian water rights and find a wealth of information.

The point being is water is for everyone, it is a shared resource and you can't horde it to the detriment of your neighbor.
Damming a stream only disrupts the flow for a short while (if at all, depending on the amount of water needed). Once a reservoir is filled, there is an overflow, and total flow continues uninterrupted.

What about when the State chooses to dam a stream or river? I guess that's different — it's the government. They can do what they want. Who's to stop them?

Hoover Dam, Hetch Hetchy, Fontana dam (TVA) and on and on.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Water rights and laws have been an issue for hundreds of years and I can't believe none of you saw the wealth of westerns growing up that addressed issues with water rights....LOL Ranchers or farmers up stream damming up a stream/creek and those down stream facing starving livestock or drought ridden crops tons of movies have been made about this. It still goes on today all across the US.
You seem to not comprehend that "water rights" are owned. They are bought and sold and deeded. They are indeed OWNERSHIP, and not by the state.

Quote:
In the PNW when the huge dams were put in and all but destroyed the salmon runs are still going on.
Well, you might as well be notified you're wrong about that, too.

Quote:
I was born and raised in Oregon and water rights have always been a part of this state and the history of water rights was taught in my grade school and high school classes back in the 50's and 60's, my father was raised in California and again water rights have always been a part of that state's development.

Just google Indian water rights and find a wealth of information.

The point being is water is for everyone, it is a shared resource and you can't horde it to the detriment of your neighbor.
You did not absorb much, then. Because water rights SPECIFICALLY allow the owner to have the water while denying it to someone else. My business partner owned land with the 2nd oldest water right in the area, which meant he had precedence over EVERYONE. Lots of people wanted to buy, to get his water right.

The funny thing is, he bought the land with the rights for cheap.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He was told, initially, he didn't need permits.
So he claims. What my experience has taught me is if you modify your property in any way you need a building permit. I had to get a driveway permit on property where a dirt road on to it was already in existence and I used the dirt road as my driveway... LOL ridiculous, but I complied because I have no desire to face fines or penalties.
Who told him he didn't need the permit?
My neighbor needed a permit to expand his existing pond.
I called the township supervisors, then the county supervisors, then the state EPA because the first two guessed at what was required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies