Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? How is that a contradiction?
its clearly contradictions..

if you have a manufacturing company for example, and water is limited, they deny you water so it can go to farmers...

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
its clearly contradictions..

if you have a manufacturing company for example, and water is limited, they deny you water so it can go to farmers...
Um, that provision determines who - among appropriated claims - gets water in instances of shortage when there is not enough water to fulfill all the appropriated claims. It has nothing to do with unappropriated water claims or denying claims to unappropriated water. It's clearly not a contradiction.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, that provision determines who - among appropriated claims - gets water in instances of shortage when there is not enough water to fulfill all the appropriated claims. It has nothing to do with unappropriated water claims or denying claims to unappropriated water. It's clearly not a contradiction.
Sure it is....

Tell me if a manufacturer sits up stream from a farm, and the farm gets preferential treatment first, how do you then get that water back up stream to the manufacturer after the farm got their appropriate use out of it?

You cant, you denied the manufacturer use completely since water doesnt roll up hill..

Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So you can't answer the question. Or, more likely, you're not willing to reveal what you think, becuase that would, well, discredit you.
Or, here's a much simpler explanation. The laws are good enough as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I hope you fall in your well.

I've seriously considered doing the runoff water into water cisterns to try and control my costs. If nothing else for toilet water.
Haha

Which state do you live in? Here I get about 40 inches of rain a year, evenly dispersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Samalia has no rule of law. Is that what you want? Most of us don't.
Some of you guys seem like you want us to be like Somalia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, the state, i.e. government, usually owns the water companies and actually does sell water to you at monopoly prices. Who owns the water company which delivers water through the pipes?
So if you are paying a flat rate, (which is actually probably illegal, but thats another topic), its not really free is it?

And if the state decides that the rain water shouldnt flow into that well, what exactly would you have used?
My water company is a public utility owned by investors, not the state.

Not illegal. Water is included in my rent. If I use up more water than I did the previous months, the property management company eats up the cost. My rent does not change month to month.

Why would they arbitrarily decide to not let water flow into my well? My house up in the mountains did not divert any water anywhere. I had a pump that pumped up groundwater. Simple as that. Gosh, you guys really need to get new arguing methods that don't rely on slippery slopes and extreme hypothetical scenarios

Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My water company is a public utility owned by investors, not the state.
In many parts of the country thats not true, but if your water company is owned by investors, then you now think that investors should control the water over the people where the rain lands?
Quote:
Not illegal. Water is included in my rent. If I use up more water than I did the previous months, the property management company eats up the cost. My rent does not change month to month.
So you arent paying a flat rate for water, you are paying a flat rate for rent, and water is included. There is a difference between the two... Charging a flat rate for the water, seperate for the rent is indeed illegal usually if you live in a building with 2+ units
Quote:
Why would they arbitrarily decide to not let water flow into my well? My house up in the mountains did not divert any water anywhere. I had a pump that pumped up groundwater. Simple as that. Gosh, you guys really need to get new arguing methods that don't rely on slippery slopes and extreme hypothetical scenarios
They arbitrarily decided not to let water flow into a barrel, why wouldnt the same argument apply to a well?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Or, here's a much simpler explanation. The laws are good enough as it is.
That's not an explanation. That's dodging the question. It's what liberals do. When asked to explain their thinking on something where they have to explain how they decide what government should control, they NEVER answer.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 PM

472 posts, read 741,129 times
Old-time saying:

In the East water is for drinkin':
In the West it's for fightin' over.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,058 times
It is not an left vs right issue its and east v. west issue. Water law in western states because of its relative scarcity follows a different system.

In the east they tend to use this system, because water is plentiful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_water_rights
In the west they tend to use this system, because water is scarce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior-a...n_water_rights

It is hardly a new fangled liberal thing.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Good luck with that. Oregons got a VERY sensible law about it-if it hits your roof or structure its yours. If it hits the land its not. You can't block it and keep it from going to other places. This is a VERY common law throughout the country-although many dont even let you take the rain that hits your structures. Oregon if anything is more permissive. And theres a TON of history and rational about why this is a good practice.
In Florida drinking water comes from the underground aquifer yet the state does not believe water that falls on your property is theirs.

Nothing herein, or in any rule, regulation, or order adopted pursuant hereto, shall be construed to affect the right of any natural person to capture, discharge, and use water for purposes permitted by law.

http://www.enlight-inc.com/blog/?p=1036#floridas

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
In Florida drinking water comes from the underground aquifer yet the state does not believe water that falls on your property is theirs.

Nothing herein, or in any rule, regulation, or order adopted pursuant hereto, shall be construed to affect the right of any natural person to capture, discharge, and use water for purposes permitted by law.

Rainwater harvesting regulations state by state | Rain water harvesting and slow sand water filters

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
You know you CAN collect rainwater for use in Oregon if you want, you just have to make sure it meets regulations so that you aren't creating a danger to your surrounding neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies