Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Oregon has no complaint as the water collected in the ponds evaporates and returns as mositure and rain. So no one can steal the water. It simply changes form and gets redistributed across oregon and the world. Aren't progs into redistribution?

The rain in his ponds is free to come and go at will and in whatever format it chooses.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
as usual the headline is misleading. It is not the state who owns that water, but the city of Medford, Oregon, per a 1925 Oregon state law.

in some regions (like mine), water rights aren't a big issue , because there is plenty of water. in certain states, or certain regions, however, it is a very big deal, and government takes a heavy-handed approach to ensuring distribution of water inputs.

Last edited by le roi; 02-25-2014 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
In what state do you own the water that falls on your property? Not the water that just falls on your property, but the water passing through?

a great deal of states in the eastern U.S. operate this way:

NC Division of Water Resources, Instream Flow Unit - Instream flow introduction
a riparian owner is entitled to the natural flow of a stream running through or along his land in its accustomed channel, undiminished in quantity and unimpaired in quality, except as may be occasioned by reasonable use of the water by other like owners. Some types of water resource projects are subject to state or federal regulations that establish parameters and procedures to determine what is a "reasonable" use. If a water resource development is not subject to any of these regulations, then a water use dispute could be handled as a civil law matter between riparian owners.

the problem with this guy mentioned in the OP, is that he violated state law.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Gary Harrington, Oregon Resident, Sentenced To Jail For Stockpiling Rainwater

Plus theres a TON of other things its not discussing. Like the fact that in oregon you CAN legally collect rainwater off a roof or other structure. (in some states you cannot). And water IS a public resource-IE you can't collect and dam up a river or stream for your exclusive use.

BTW-Look at the pictures...he has a freaking dock he built for it.

Sigh. I could go on.

And no a heritage link WOULDN'T burden you with the truth. Maybe you should think about that in the future.
This is insane, for the government to essentially tell us that the water falling from the sky is their water, and we cannot collect it for use in irrigation or whatever the hell we want.

Is it illegal to be self sufficient? Are we supposed to be dependent upon government for our water? If one man is able to create a 13 million gallon water reservoir from just rain and snow then what would be the problem? I'm obviously not condoning diverting water from streams, creeks or rivers.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You know you CAN collect rainwater for use in Oregon if you want, you just have to make sure it meets regulations so that you aren't creating a danger to your surrounding neighbors.
ok, thanks for the info.
I never said you could not do that in Oregon.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If one man is able to create a 13 million gallon water reservoir from just rain and snow then what would be the problem? I'm obviously not condoning diverting water from streams, creeks or rivers.
this is a contradiction.

by collecting rainwater in the foothills, he is "diverting water from streams, creeks, or rivers" at their headwaters.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
ok, thanks for the info.
I never said you could not do that in Oregon.
Well you guys are acting like you can't.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
If I have a pond on my property with no inlet or outlets, that water is mine.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well you guys are acting like you can't.
"you guys" LOL- first of all I do not view issues in black and white like "you guys" do.

my definition of "you guys" is partisan hacks who have no clue how to process information but just regirgitate talking points from Matthews and Hannity.

Not sure what "you guys" means when addressed to me?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
"you guys" LOL- first of all I do not view issues in black and white like "you guys" do.

my definition of "you guys" is partisan hacks who have no clue how to process information but just regirgitate talking points from Matthews and Hannity.

Not sure what "you guys" means when addressed to me?
You guys means the ones who are acting like it is illegal to collect rainwater in Oregon that post in this site, which based on your posts, I include you into that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies