Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
YOU wonder about the intelligence of other people??

When I watch a movie or watch a television program it's all about the entertainment for me, not counting heads.

Of course you do. You see you are a white female and in your world whites are the norm. Their "whiteness" isn't noticed. Its the way things are.

Yet when some one raises this you rush to defend the status quo, because this is what you are doing whether you admit or not.

There is a white guy (Tanner Colby) who wrote a whole book on these attitudes called "Some of my Best Friends are Black". All about nice white folks who think that they see the world in a colorblind way, when what they really see is a world blind of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
While there were many black slave owners its is very dishonest of you to claim that the first slave owner was black. Slavery was a status established by law and the transition from indenture to slavery was not performed by one man. It was through various acts of law passed by various legal bodies in the various colonies. Mr. Johnson would NOT have had the right to hold a man in perpetuity as a slave against his will unless he had a legal right to do so.

Now if you did further research you would discover that ultimately, as slavery became race based, and as the increasing numbers of black freedmen became a threat, that the children of this man lost their lands. TELL the whole story PLEASE.

BTW can you prove that there is a conspiracy by blacks to deny that there were black slave owners? Indeed I have watched several PBS programs where BLACK historians, including Gates, have talk about blacks who owned slaves. You see where there is INTELLIGENT discussion of black history a whole range of facts are revealed that remain undiscussed in the lazy BHM portrayals put on by people who think that it is a chore that they must engage in only for PC purposes.

To quote a black historian. If every single landowner used free labor, why do you think that the one black farmer would pay wages, when that would guarantee that he couldn't compete? This with reference to the SAME Mr. Johnson. This in order to attempt to understand why a man who was formerly a slave would enslaves others.

The fact that some Native Americans groups were also slave owners, has also been discussed, and indeed the issue with the attempt by some Native groups to marginalize those who have visible African ancestry has been well discussed.

I know that you peddle this is you try to process your white guilt, but this isn't working. Regardless as to who might have engaged in the systems of slavery as practiced in the USA it was a system upheld mainly by whites, and if these people didn't aggressively ensure that it existed it would have collapsed.

Are you going to tell us that Jim Crow came about because blacks wanted it?

Now as to the divide. Yes some blacks clearly contribute to it. But given the legacy of extreme racism in this country, and the continuing levels of informal racial segregation, why the shock that many blacks, fearful of humiliation, remain skeptical of the intentions of whites, and think the worse, even where not merited?

I mean how many whites in this country will willing walk into an environment where they are the only white? FEW. Yet they accuse blacks of being separatists.

So please understand why those blacks who have had limited contact with whites are often defensive.
OK, I get it. It's all the white mans fault and it still is their fault and it will always be their fault. Black people were victims, are victims, and always will be victims as long as white people exist.

PMSL. I have white guilt?? OMG that is toooooo funny. I have never and will never fell any white guilt because I have nothing to feel guilty about. Don't flatter yourself thinking that I carry around some baggage that belonged to someone else from another time in history. May I suggest that you put your baggage down?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
another thing that is also overlooked that it was black people selling other black people in africa during the slave trade.
Shush!!!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Find someone..

You said many blacks. Show me.

Who are these many blacks? I know black folks..you know none. I'm privy to black conversations, you aren't

Funny how I've never heard a single black person blame their problems on slavery, but you have by some miracle.

And not just once..but MANY times seeing as how your claim of MANY blacks saying this should be so self evident according to you.

So get to posting. How about a few YouTube's vids for starters.

Should be easy. Just type in "black man says all of his problems are a direct result of slavery."

I am always amused by folks who really don't know blacks, get their news from FOX TV, and then remain stubborn in their opinions.

What they don't understand is that discussions of slavery are largely confined to forums like these and that black people almost never speak of it on a regular basis.

I also don't know the last time that reparations was seen as a serious topic beyond a small group of academics.

The ones with "black friends" amuse me even more, as they really think that their black friends speak to them within the majority white contexts where they no doubt interact, the same way that they would among black folks.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Watch and TV and prove me wrong. We can quibble whether it is 88%, 90%, or 98%. If you are honest you will admit that when your turn on TV you see an OVER representation of whites, and white dominated contexts.

Please don't waste your time denying this fact.
You want me to prove you are right? It doesn't work that way, especially when someone says something it doesn't make it so. You made the claim, you need to prove it has substance.

I asked that you provide a link to support your claim, otherwise it's just you saying something and thinking people should accept it as fact.

It's really crazy when someone can sit in front of a TV show and go into racist mode.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Shush!!!

Oh wow. You just revealed that you really don't know black people.

I mean seriously. Do you think that most blacks don't know that their ancestor were sold to some white man from some cloth, whisky and guns? Just get any hip hopper angry with an African street vendor and see how quickly that pours out of their mouth.

I mean where do you guys get your information? Did you watch Gates on his series on Africa and on African Americans?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You want me to prove you are right? It doesn't work that way, especially when someone says something it doesn't make it so. You made the claim, you need to prove it has substance.

I asked that you provide a link to support your claim, otherwise it's just you saying something and thinking people should accept it as fact.

It's really crazy when someone can sit in front of a TV show and go into racist mode.
If you disagree with me with PROVE ME WRONG. Because it is clear even to YOU that the overwhelming majority of our media images are based on whites.

You see you CAN'T PROVE me wrong so you engage in this, when just two seconds ago you claimed to be "color blind" so didn't notice that most people are white.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I think it's known by anyone who actually studied or paid attention to black history, that blacks owned slaves. This just goes to further show that black history month is needed if you are just now finding this out.
I bet I learned that when I was in elementary school many years ago. It must not have been important to me because apparently I didn't retain that bit of knowledge for my entire life. I'm sure you know more about black history than you do American history in general, except for the good parts.

Yes, every little white child should know that blacks owned slaves. It will certainly prove to be beneficial to their career.

I didn't "study" black history. I've read up on some, not all. Black history is a subject that I don't eat, breathe and live for.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
OK, I get it. It's all the white mans fault?

You wanted to peddle a lie that Mr. Johnson was the first slave owner, implying that he single handedly invented slavery in the USA, and then the bit of the Cherokees.

Well if the social, political, and economic systems were controlled by whites at the time (as they still are) then fill in the blanks, and don't engage in white victimhood.

I can only ponder about this emotional meltdown when no one here denies that there weren't black slave owners, and that African slave kingdoms didn't play an enormous role in the trans Atlantic slave trade.

So why the wails about "its all the white man's fault"?

Are you trying to suggest that a social, political, and economic system that was dominated by white elites, didn't do bad things to blacks? And to non elite whites? I wonder where is your acknowledgement of the fact that I have mentioned white poverty and exploitation by this same system?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
This whole debate is engaged by people who are under going white guilt. They should just accept the role of white racism in determining how the system was, and is, and engage in discussions about improving it.

But instead we have people who clearly think that black folks are ignorant peddling nonsense.

Oddly enough rather then screaming that black history shouldn't be taught, they should be attempting to ensure that the WHOLE truth is taught. That includes the role of the African slave kingdoms, and the fact that many Irish and other whites were also held under slavery like conditions, and many of their descendants are now among the poor whites who voted for Romney.
Again with the friggin white guilt. YOU have to be ignorant to believe your own nonsense that in this day and age white people suffer from white guilt.

I have Irish blood and I can tell you, I know the stories, but we Irish, along with every other ethnic group that has a history, don't need history to define who we are. We didn't move forward using the "victim card" and if we do define ourselves it is with pride for rising above it all and moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies